• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another primer question....

Ison

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2013
First off, I have very minimal experience reloading so I’m here to learn. With that being said, I have read that you can use a large magnum rifle primer in place of a large rifle primer in several articles on the net. My question is, if I run out of large rifle primers in the future would I be able to use my Magnum Rifle Primers that I’m sure I won’t run out of? If so, out of the calibers I plan on reloading, which caliber would this work for? List includes 220 Swift, 30-06, 308, 45-70

My magnum large rifle primers are Winchester’s if that even matters.

Last edited:
They will work fine justbdrop your load and work back up to check for pressure signs and verify you are still in the velocity node.
I use 215M primers in some calibers that dont call for them and work just fine.

Reactions: Ison
In my experience, in cartridges like 30-06 and 308, a magnum primer over a standard primer is about equal to 0.3 grains.

So if I swap a magnum for a standard, then I reduce by 0.3 grains. That is not a hard rule for every situation, it is a general approximation based on what I have experienced.

Reactions: XLR308
Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know that I will still be able to use what I have in stock. I will probably shoot the calibers that require Large Rifle Primers more that Magnum caliber rounds. I will still try and trade them for the right ones but if I can't it's not the end of the world I guess.

I primed about 50 6x47 with mag primers. Not a problem, but like noted above, back off the powder charge.

Reactions: Ison
Have you noticed any difference in accuracy using the wrong primers?