• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Proof Research Record

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Guys always ask about my Proof Barrels and whether they work or not, here is another example of them working. This is not the only competition record they have
    Columbia Falls, MT. (August 2017) Less than three weeks after winning the NRA National Silhouette title-and then going on to win both the Standard and Hunter High Power Rifle Silhouette Championships at Ridgway Rifle Club in Pennsylvania-Cathy Winstead-Severin, a Team Lapua shooter, dominated north of the border, taking the Canadian NFA National Smallbore Silhouette Championship. On her rifle for the large-bore competitions (Standard and Hunter class) was a PROOF Research medium contour, cut-rifled steel barrel chambered in 6mmBR.
    S.gif
    4525150f-e81e-45c1-b9f2-456274111277.jpg
    "I swept all four guns in the U.S., and then I swept all four in Canada," Winstead-Severin said of her recent victories. "It's kind of surreal, me being at the top of my game and having everything come together for so many matches."

This is Winstead-Severin's first year shooting a PROOF barrel, but she said it was a good match from the very beginning. In fact, since switching to PROOF, she's done nothing but rack up championships.

"I debuted it in Montana, up in Missoula, and we shot the Iron Man," she explained. "I shot three new national records up there on its debut, and I believe I got five new national records with it at the U.S. Nationals, so in its first summer, I set eight new national records."

Her Canadian victory marked the end of the season for Winstead-Severin until next year, when she will no doubt begin collecting wins once again.

"Cathy is a great brand ambassador for our product," said PROOF Research Chief Marketing Officer Derek McDonald. "We are proud of her accomplishments and excited to have contributed to her success by providing world-class gear that enabled her to translate her phenomenal shooting skills into wins."
    About PROOF Research, Inc.
    PROOF Research is a science-driven defense/aerospace company committed to producing the highest performance carbon fiber rifle barrels, match-grade steel rifle barrels, premium hunting rifles, and weapon systems utilizing next-generation composite materials to lighten warfighter load while increasing durability and effectiveness. PROOF Research's goal is to make reduced weight, unsurpassed durability, and match-grade accuracy a reality for all of its customers. Headquartered in Columbia Falls, Montana, PROOF Research maintains research and manufacturing centers in Montana and Dayton, Ohio. [url]www.proofresearch.com[/URL].

Maybe i missed it in the article. Is she shooting their all steel barrels, or the wrapped barrels? Looks like a standard steel barrel in the pic.

Maybe i missed it in the article. Is she shooting their all steel barrels, or the wrapped barrels? Looks like a standard steel barrel in the pic.

From the article - " On her rifle for the large-bore competitions (Standard and Hunter class) was a PROOF Research medium contour, cut-rifled steel barrel chambered in 6mmBR."

Without knowing their contour chart, that didnt answer my question. Had to go to their website to find out what medium contour is. Its an all steel medium palma it appears, and not a carbon wrapped barrel.

I was thinking of trying one of the all steel barrels in the near future. Glad they work well.

Stocky's keeps them in stock in the popular bore sizes but only in two contours. The prices are right in line with the other barrel makers though.

I'm curious as to why she chose the all steel over their CFW barrel ? , is it a means of highlighting their all steel barrels versus other makers or is the all steel more accurate than the CFW barrels ?
    I ask because I might go with the CFW on my next re-barrel .

I'm curious as to why she chose the all steel over their CFW barrel ? , is it a means of highlighting their all steel barrels versus other makers or is the all steel more accurate than the CFW barrels ?

I'd bet that the CF barrels are too light for her to use in high power.

I think the idea here is that she could not have won with any amount of skill if her equipment didn't perform exceptionally well.

You won't find anyone shooting a CFW barrel in high power matches, the weight balance would be all wrong. They are pretty dang accurate though. Do they dissipate heat faster, no, but they offer a whole lot of performance for the weight.

Norm Crawford Wins Prestigious Wimbledon Cup
    for Second Year in a Row
    S.gif
    bfdabeec-aeb3-4f87-b5b1-451019766b5b.jpg

Columbia Falls, MT. (August 2017) With a winning shoot-off score of 100-5X, Norman Crawford won his second consecutive Wimbledon Cup Championship. Crawford used the same PROOF Research barrel he used in 2016 to earn a cup victory-the first ever achieved with a carbon-fiber-wrapped barrel-a 32", 1.1" diameter, 1-in-8" twist chambered in Shahane .284.

"They're lighter, they seem to be a lot easier to find a load that will shoot through them, and they don't seem to wander quite as much as a regular steel barrel will as it warms up and cools down," Crawford said of the PROOF barrels he uses in competition. "Generally, they just seem to be a bit more predictable all the way around."

Crawford has won the historic Wimbledon Cup a total of three times, earning his first victory back in 2003 with a steel barrel.
    S.gif
    7fabdb9c-8390-4ab9-8b3c-c2ec474cfc68.jpg

"I shot steel barrels for years. I got asked three or four years ago to try one of PROOF's barrels for competitive shooting," Crawford explained. "And that barrel shot as good as any barrel I've ever had-and it lasted longer than any other .284 barrel I've ever had. In fact, I couldn't kill it."

Crawford has been shooting competitively since 1990 and has racked up a long list of victories over the course of his career, but he is especially proud of his Wimbledon Cup victories, given the historic significance of this match. "The Wimbledon Cup is probably considered the most prestigious of all the long-range matches in the national championship," he said. "It's been shot in the United States since 1876."
    Next up for Crawford are the Spirit of America Fullbore Rifle Prone National Championships, which will take place in New Mexico the second week of September 2017. He plans to use a PROOF carbon-fiber-wrapped barrel in this competition as well.

I'm curious as to why she chose the all steel over their CFW barrel? Is it a means of highlighting their all steel barrels versus other makers or is the all steel more accurate than the CFW barrels? I ask because I might go with the CFW on my next re-barrel .

Some shooters use the same rifle for high power hunter and standard class silhouette shooting. The weight limit for hunter class is about 9 pounds, but the barrel must have a taper and cannot be a bull barrel. So, unless proof makes a barrel with a taper, you couldn't use it for hunter class silhouette shooting regardless of weight and balance. Standard class allows for different stock designs, has a higher weight limit, and bull barrels are ok.