• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Another range report - 6mm Creedmoor at 1000 yards

JAMER

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2018
I had a chance for some more practice at the range over the weekend. This is my 1000 yard target. The three shots on the upper right edge were shot while trying to figure out the wind. Bullets move around a lot from the wind at 1000 yards of course. The five in the lower center are 5 of 6 sequential shots after I had the windage figured out. The group size is about 8" (minus the flyer) so that is sub-moa at 1000 yards from an inexpensive factory rifle shooting factory ammo.

Hardware:
6mm CM - Howa 1500
Oryx Chassis with JAMER bag rider
Athlon Ares BTR scope
DIY Form 1 suppressor
Hornady Match 108 gr ammo
Shot prone with Harris Bipod and rear squeeze bag

image.png

Some statistics for this bullet at this range...
- It takes 1.4 seconds for the bullet to get to the target, and about 2.6 seconds for the impact sound to get back to the shooting position. So from 'bang' to 'ding' takes about 4 seconds total.
- The bullet drops 276 inches (about 23 feet) traveling to the target.
- a 5 mph cross-wind blows the bullet 30 inches off-target; the target is 16" in diameter. So being off on the wind estimate by 2mph will turn a hit into a miss. As most of you know judging wind speed is the #1 problem when shooting this far with most any sane rifle caliber. I don't consider a 50 BMG to be a sane rifle caliber.
- The bullet slows from 2950 fps (at the muzzle) to 1500 fps (at the target). That is still above the trans-sonic region which is good because bullets do weird things when they pass through the mach 1 range (about 1100 fps).

91.7" or 7.6ft above the target ? it's an arc not a straight line. Run a loophole formula to find the top of the arc. Your aim is 23ft above... But the round starts headed back down ?