• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another rem 700 action question

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I have noticed on one of my rem 700 that i have had blueprinted that after a dry fire the bolt seems a little stiff to open. On my factory rem 700's this isn't the case. Is this a good thing? I know the man that did the work is good to go so i am not to worried, just curious i guess. Like I said the bolt just seems to have some resistance after firing on an empty chamber. Bolt throw down is as smooth as can be!! Just on the way back up after the hammer has fallen??? Any thoughts?? Lee

Re: Another rem 700 action question

My guess .... the cocking piece, where it rides in the bolt body, needs some lube.

My answer is going to be... Maybe the way the extractor is working on the upswing of the bolt? check the brass for marks on the rim?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My answer is going to be... Maybe the way the extractor is working on the upswing of the bolt? check the brass for marks on the rim?</div></div>Check his first post again, it says:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after firing on an empty chamber</div></div>

I made the EXACT same observation when I recently received my first custom using a Rem 700.

Like yours, mine was only a little tough when cocking the FP--in other words, only when re-setting the FP to fire.

When mine was built, I added the gre-tan firing pin and shroud. My guess is that mine is a little tougher b/c maybe the GT FP is a little stiffer than the stock one--but that is only a guess.

Did you alter the FP or FP spring?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess .... the cocking piece, where it rides in the bolt body, needs some lube.</div></div>

This is the first place I would check... also...I've seen the firing pin body get hung up in the shroud because of a nick or burr or built up corrosion. Clean and lube these areas first.

Here is an m700 firing pin with a couple of nicks on the firing pin body that were hanging up in the shroud. It's a tight fit and doesn't take much to hang up.

Firingpin.jpg

Thanks guys i will check it out. I did replace the factory firing pin assembly with a PT&G. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys i will check it out. I did replace the factory firing pin assembly with a PT&G. Lee </div></div>

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner! Same issue as my Gre-tan. I do not think it is anything of which to be concerned. I think it is just a slightly stiffer spring.

Just for grins, if you have your old FP assembly, throw it in the bolt and see if the stiff bolt goes away.