• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Remington 700 build

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Bought a G prefix Remington 700 308 i took apart. I really dislike the finish on this action, they rust up very easily. I plan on using rem oil and trying to get this one cleaned up. Is there any good ways to paint this action or should i find someone to cerakote it? I do have the materials to do the air dry cerakote. Any ideas and tips ?
20221211_175432.jpg

Reactions: kevinsachs
Bought a G prefix Remington 700 308 i took apart. I really dislike the finish on this action, they rust up very easily. I plan on using rem oil and trying to get this one cleaned up. Is there any good ways to paint this action or should i find someone to cerakote it? I do have the materials to do the air dry cerakote. Any ideas and tips ? View attachment 8019166
Send it to birdsong.

Can i prep the new barrel, install it then coat the whole barreled action.

Can i prep the new barrel, install it then coat the whole barreled action.
Yes, just make sure you plug up the barrel on both ends, and keep it out of the chamber and bore. I’d also find a way to cover up the bolt race ways to avoid spraying those and messing up your tolerances causing cycling issues.

Reactions: pabrousseau
I would just cerakote and not think about it again. I personally prefer coatings on the bolt and action that provide some lubricatity benefit, however it isn't a deal breaker by any stretch on a bolt gun.

Where is your focus ?

Take a high grade, small wire brush and perhaps some 400 grit emery cloth and remove the rust. Obtain some top shelf lubricant / rust preventative and soak all of the parts for a few days. Do this with all of your parts, including the barrel. Run a tap through all of the treaded holes, replace any springs weakened by the rust. Check tolerances as you assemble your weapon. Make it yours. Put a good stock on it and top shelf optics. Take it out and run 100 - 200 rounds through it and make any adjustments during this break in time. At that point do your evaluation as to whether the weapon deserves to be sugar coated.

Reactions: 806guns
Do you have an air compressor?
If you have one that is 6 gallons, you can do it, but take your time:

Get one of these:

Blast it clean, then degrease with carb cleaner (don't fuck around, hose it down)
Make sure it dries completely, I flash mine with a heat gun, as the spray cools it considerably.

Then spray with whatever color of gun kote. I like gun kote because it self lubricates and I spray inside the action.

Then, bake in your oven. I made hangars out of metal....hangars

Reactions: 806guns
Where is your focus ?

Take a high grade, small wire brush and perhaps some 400 grit emery cloth and remove the rust. Obtain some top shelf lubricant / rust preventative and soak all of the parts for a few days. Do this with all of your parts, including the barrel. Run a tap through all of the treaded holes, replace any springs weakened by the rust. Check tolerances as you assemble your weapon. Make it yours. Put a good stock on it and top shelf optics. Take it out and run 100 - 200 rounds through it and make any adjustments during this break in time. At that point do your evaluation as to whether the weapon deserves to be sugar coated.
I have a stainless remage barrel on the way and was thinking of using cerakote c series which is air cured not baked. Was wanting to coat the entire barreled action. But first i need to get all the rust out of the action.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
why does everyone down play there build ? it might be a 700 but it still deserves praise as long as it works like you wanted it to what else matters . all guns are precious and deserve a good home . you never know maybe one day that gun will save your life . great looking build congrats .

Last edited:
Bluing is rust.
You can easily remove rust (and bluing) with THIS STUFF.
As stated previously, try to keep the paint out of the bore but I have actually felt improvement with some Duracoat on the bolt and the bolt race, lubricity created by the paint.
Assemble, blast and coat.

why does everyone down play there build ? it might be a 700 but it still deserves praise as long as it works like you wanted it to what else matters . all guns are precious and deserve a good home . you never know maybe one day that gun will save your life . great looking build congrats .
Some good points. My # 1 requirement of a weapon is this "When I pull the trigger, I want to hear BANG". Same for my vehicles, when I turn the key I want to hear vrooom. When the SHTF and a person's life depends on "dependability" of everything...... going to be a lot of disappointment.

Reactions: acudaowner
Rifles are built, going to test and make sure everything works properly. Then have some fun with cerakote
20221220_193537.jpg