• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Another rifle question

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
So I settled on an 18” ar10 6.5 creedmoor from the last thread and am building an identical upper in .308 just in case I run into ammo/caliber restricted states.

I went and did some old development with a buddy who now wants to get a rifle...he has a conundrum now!

He has fallen in love with 2 rifles of mine and only wants 1 rifle of his own

He is conflicted on either a 300 win mag bolt gun and a ar10 6.5 creedmoor...he does reload and will never shoot competitions, and is an avid hunter...I say 300 win mag all the way, but I’m a little bias due to the 300 win mag being my favorite round ever

I don’t know a lot about 6.5 creedmoor, but I feel the 300 win mag is about as versatile as it gets due to the crazy level available when reloading

What do you guys think?

Bench

If I could only have 1 hunting rifle it would be hard for me not to pick the 300 availability of factory hunting ammo , so many different ways to handload the caliber

You mention your friend is a avid hunter. I guess I would have to have a idea of what he hunts, typical distances, and current rifle inventory. There is no way id recommend a 300 win mag for 100 yard whitetail stand hunting but sure would for 500 plus yard elk hunting.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
You mention your friend is a avid hunter. I guess I would have to have a idea of what he hunts, typical distances, and current rifle inventory. There is no way id recommend a 300 win mag for 100 yard whitetail stand hunting but sure would for 500 plus yard elk hunting.
If he reloads though, I don't see why the 300 win mag is a bad choice. Load your own reduced loads if you know you'll be shooting 100 yards at deer.

Nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag... great caliber for hunting pretty much anything!

The biggest 'issue' I see is that he only wants one gun.
If only one gun and he spends any time out practicing, 300 WM can be expensive and hard on recoil for extended range sessions.
Unless he is going after elk/moose sized game, maybe should at least consider the 6.5 if it meets the hunting needs and he would get out and practice more with it.
More range time usually translates to more hunting success.