• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Rock barrel thread.

bowstryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
grottoes, va
Okay folks here's the scenario.... I am in the process of getting my new .338 lm build concreted before I head over the pond to the big sandbox. I have gotten all of the manufacturers of components I want in line except for the barrel. My number one choice has been completely unavailable to me through MANY phone calls and emails so I now the coin toss barrel of choice goes to the opposite turn. I am going to use a surgeon 1581 xl action which uses a 1.350 breech and I want it to finish out at 27". My next question is about contour, I have heard most folks using an mtu contour (which generally starts out at 1.250 breech). I can't call Mike until monday so I guess I just need some reassurance that his company should be able to come through for me. I only have two weeks to get this ironed out before I leave it all up to my cousin to get the components and hand them over to my smith in my stead. So Rock barrel owners in .338 fire off for me and if you have suggestions I am open. Thanks y'all

Re: Another Rock barrel thread.

Well i know alot of people like the MTU, but i think i personally would like the M40/M24 contour more. It's not quite as heavy, but you still have a "heavy" barrel so to speak with a little more mobility. As the M40/M24 is 1.200 at breech and .900 at muzzle instead of 1.25 breech and .930 at muzzle. So add flutes to the equation and you could minimize more weight.

Check with Bugholes here. He had quite a few MTU/AMU Rock 9.4 Twist .338 Barrels. Might have something in his Obermeyer or Brux thread as well. Look at his inventory in the Commercial Vendor section, if you don't see what you want PM him.

You are building my next build. Iam finishing up on a 308 with a rock m24 contour. I would think that the m24 or m40 would be plenty and they are still heavy I like the straight contour. If I'm not mistaken the blanks came 27". They come fully stress relieved. Some builders are not fond of the rock barrels due to them being harder to cut. Harder to cut or not they are good barrels.
Would love to hear how it turns out.

That will be a truck axle if that is what you are after.

Rock barrels are fantastic. CS second to none.

Mike is great to deal with and he will be able to get you want you want.
Took me just under two months to get my m24 30 cal blank from order to in hand.