• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Another scope decision...

TanktheFrank

UP AND COMING
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
New Braunfels, TX
I recently picked up a sig 3x9x40 with duplex reticle for an "inbetweener" scope for a hunt next week. It's going to get replaced with a PST gen 2 in January.

My plan was to stick it on my tikka varmint in 22-250, and when I get the PST, throw it on a .22. My issue now is that today I was given a great condition redfield 2x7 widefield low profile.

They both look great for how inexpensive they are. My question is, which would you pick for sub 250 yard shots on whitetail and pigs? It will be used for 3 outings, and then both are going on loaner rifles or .22s.

3x9 of course has more mag, newer, weight isn't a concern.

2x7 is much much older but still very clear glass, nice reticle, might look goofy on the rifle but that's beside the point.

Personally I would go with Redfield for wider field of view. I don't think the more mag is more important especially for hunting but I hunted with a fixed 3x for 40 years and never needed more.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.