• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Skunkworks RECON

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Recon223_16.jpg

Recon223_17.jpg

Recon223_14.jpg

Recon223_2.jpg

Recon223_6.jpg

Recon223_9.jpg

Recon223_13.jpg

This RECON is chambered in .223 and is built on a trued Remington 700 with a Krieger barrel. Bolt knob, recoil lug and bottom metal are Underground Skunkworks components. The UNS mount and rail are Badger Ordnance. This rifle shot a .096 at 100 yards after seven rounds down the barrel for break-in.

Re: Another Skunkworks RECON

Nice rifle, but why do you have the scope mounted so high?

*EDIT* Also, who makes that flash hider on your barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, but why do you have the scope mounted so high? </div></div>

I knew that was going to be my first question. The scope I'll be putting on this rifle has a larger objective and is out of the shop on a demo rifle at the moment. I used the scope in the photos to range test the rifle. The other scope will go on when I get it back....

looks good Mike, what color did you use on the barreled action, kinda looks like a light sand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good Mike, what color did you use on the barreled action, kinda looks like a light sand </div></div>

As you suspected, it's Light Sand. I think I should get it dirty....

yeah man, go throw it in the mud or something. Ill shoot you an email tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah man, go throw it in the mud or something. Ill shoot you an email tomorrow. </div></div>

Roger that....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle.

I really like the design of that stock. </div></div>

Thanks....That's a Manners T3 as modified by Skunkworks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle.

Thanks....That's a Manners T3 as modified by Skunkworks.... </div></div>

What mods did you do to the stock?

Looked on the website for your bottom metal specs and price but didn't find it. How much?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle.

Thanks....That's a Manners T3 as modified by Skunkworks.... </div></div>

What mods did you do to the stock? </div></div>

I widen the forend, custom fit the ejection port and rear tang so they match the action, add the texture to the grip and forend and inlet for the UNS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked on the website for your bottom metal specs and price but didn't find it. How much? </div></div>

The HD hinged floor plate is $185.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, but why do you have the scope mounted so high?

*EDIT* Also, who makes that flash hider on your barrel? </div></div>

Well, If he ever wanted to actually use the front rail to mount an UNS, he will need the height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, but why do you have the scope mounted so high?
</div></div>

Besides Mike's other reasons, anyone setting up their rifle for a PVS22/27 should know that they will work better with the higher rings. I use the NF Ultra 1.265" rings on most of our work rifles set up like this.

While these units will work OK with up to 1/2" axial offset, one would obviously want to maximize their effectiveness by getting lined up as close as possible.

Also note that depending on the length of your scope, stock forearm, etc., using low rings will also keep you from swinging open your BC caps or using some sun shades without hitting the EFR mount.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very nice rifle Mike. Good job.
Keep up the excellent work.

Best,
Terry

Is it $4545, or $8100?

If I may ask, how do you come up with the prices?

Quoted from the site:

The RECON is offered as a package rifle as outlined in the specifications above.
Basic Package Pricing w/o Suppressor, w/o Night Optics:

UGSW Tactical Action: $8700.00
Remington Action: $8100.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, but why do you have the scope mounted so high?
</div></div>

Besides Mike's other reasons, anyone setting up their rifle for a PVS22/27 should know that they will work better with the higher rings. I use the NF Ultra 1.265" rings on most of our work rifles set up like this.

While these units will work OK with up to 1/2" axial offset, one would obviously want to maximize their effectiveness by getting lined up as close as possible.

Also note that depending on the length of your scope, stock forearm, etc., using low rings will also keep you from swinging open your BC caps or using some sun shades without hitting the EFR mount.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very nice rifle Mike. Good job.
Keep up the excellent work.

Best,
Terry </div></div>

Thanks Terry....It's always very nice to get a thumbs up from someone in the industry with a reputation of being one of the very best. Much appreciated....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it $4545, or $8100?

Quoted from the site:

The RECON is offered as a package rifle as outlined in the specifications above.

Remington Action: $8100.00 </div></div>

All of the Underground Skunkworks rifle packages are offered as the basic rifle (without optics, without night vision, without suppressor) and scaled up from there. They are mission built rifles that receive a lot of time and attention to detail and the bedding material alone costs $92 per lb at present. Other bedding materials are strong, but it has been scientifically proven that the integrity of these materials aren't maintained over long periods of time, hence the need for re-beds. My tolerances are extremely small and the rifles are manufactured as a shooting system, meaning that every part of the rifle functions in concert with every part of the rifle. When I receive a stock from Manners, each barreled action is perfectly fit to the stock, so a significant amount of the inletting is glassed in and then recut to the exact dimensions required. The barreled action wouldn't fit any better if it was melted and poured in. This is how the ejection port relief on the stock and the ejection port on the action match perfectly. The rear tang on the action is also contoured perfectly to stock. The barrel channel also receives the same treatment. It is opened and re-glassed so the dimensions around the barrel after bedding is perfect. The RECON has a UNS mount, and our procedures for installing the UNS mount ensures rock solid stability. Afterwhich, the mount is blended to the stock. The forend is widened prior to the mount being installed. None of this would be possible without the extreme quality of the Manners stock.

All Remington actions are Skunk-worked. If the bolt or boltway fails inspection, the bolt becomes a business card holder for the table tops at SHOT Show and the bolt way is reamed. A PTG bolt is then fit the the action. If the Remington bolt is acceptable, the handle goes away and a PTG handle is installed and capped off with a Skunkworks bolt knob. The face is trued, lug abutments squared, threads are single point cut and the base screws are opened to 8-40. This isn't just because the 8-40's are stronger, but because at least one screw hole in most Remington receivers are off center. The barrel is threaded with Class 3A threads. A good example of our thread fit is, if, after threading the barrel, you put a thin coat of Dykem on the threads and allow it to dry, you won't be able to screw the barrel to the receiver. Remove the Dykem and they go together like glass.

Sorry if you asked me what time it was and I explained how to build the clock, but our prices are directly proportional to the amount of detail in our builds and every package rifle is built this way. I know I mention a 1/2 MOA guarantee on my site, but every rifle that has come from UGSW has shot in the .0's and .1's.

You may have also noted on my site that the Black Bag Rifle is $2995 for the SA and $3195 for the LA. This rifle receives the same build attention with the same guarantee. The difference is that I use other components from other well known manufacturers and my component cost is lower. I also offer an "Accurized" Remington SPS Tactical for $899 and this includes the cost of the new rifle. This rifle shoots pretty well from the factory, some better than others, but after our accurizing treatment, it shoots significantly better at a cost well below what full blown customs would cost.

I appreciate your question and I'd be happy to answer, in detail, any other questions you may have. Good luck in school and that High Polish Blue on the .22 is killer. Your Grandfather should covet that rifle knowing how much time and detail you put into it....

From just talking to Mike on the phone he is g2g and stands behind his products. Great looking rifle, and maybe one of these days ill send you a check Mike and get me one of those Recons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it $4545, or $8100?

Quoted from the site:

Remington Action: $8100.00 </div></div>

I also just took a look at my site and see where there may be some confusing info. The RECON Package includes optics, tool/cleaning kit, log book, operators manual, Hardigg Field Pack, etc., but does not include suppressor and night vision. This is the $8700/$8100 price.

The basic rifle doesn't include any of these items for the $4995/$4545 price.