• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another SPR Scope recommendation request

jm101

wanna-be renaissance man
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2023
Central Sierra Foothills, Ca
This evening, I decided what Snipers Hide needed was -yet- another newb asking about a scope for their gas gun. I have lurked here for many years and always found the search function and previous threads to answer all my questions. However, before a plunk down a couple grand I figured I would lean in and see what insight y'all might offer. Probably some (lots) of things that haven't crossed my mind. Thanks all, I appreciate your time.
  • What is the platform for the scope? 20" WOA SPR upper, Noreen lower, Larue trigger, fixed stock, etc.
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .223
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Solo: target, steel, and occasional varmints/ predators
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, lowlight, occasional white light nighttime predator management ~100yards and less.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? As far as it'll go, 800-1k?
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, Mil, Weight..... to a point, non-horus reticle, not too long.... I think that means 14"?
  • What is the price range you can afford? Around $2k, but I can spend/save more if need be.
And then obviously any other input you would like to provide, but having the above information from the get go will help the community understand more specifically your needs and in return you will receive much better answers sooner.
  • Currently looking at Steiner T6xi 3-18 MSR2 and Leupold MK5 3.6-18 PR1, Leaning towards the Steiner.
Other options that popped out at me while browsing.
  • ZEISS LRP S3 4-25 Found a couple good deals on these, but with Christmas tree reticles.
  • March F Tactical 3-24, Kahles K318i 3.5-18 These two are in the I need to spend/ save more category

Reactions: Evolution 9
I am all-ears to mount recommendations too.
I doubt I really need cant built into the base for .223, but scopes have a way of moving around rifles. I think it would be smart to plan ahead.
In case Carlos Hathcock shoots my scope out and my head is somehow intact.... I want tool-less QD mounts, so I can chuck my scope flip my my BUIS and shoot back!
I.E. what rugged QD bases with cant come to mind?
I am currently looking at La Rue Tactical Scope Mount QD LT745

Reactions: simonp
I am all-ears to mount recommendations too.
I doubt I really need cant built into the base for .223, but scopes have a way of moving around rifles. I think it would be smart to plan ahead.
In case Carlos Hathcock shoots my scope out and my head is somehow intact.... I want tool-less QD mounts, so I can chuck my scope flip my my BUIS and shoot back!
I.E. what rugged QD bases with cant come to mind?
I am currently looking at La Rue Tactical Scope Mount QD LT745

I run LaRue QD mounts on the majority of my gas guns and have zero complaints.

I have a rifle that is nearly identical to yours. I'm running a Gen 3 1-10 on it and it has done everything I've asked of it. I have only taken it to 600 yds though.

Reactions: jm101
As for glass I have te Leupold 3.6-18 & like it, I’ve been thinking of trying out the Zeiss on one of my uppers. NF NX8 4-20 is another option

Reactions: jm101
Be better than LaRue mounts and ditch the fantasy of having to quickly remove an optic in order to transition to traditional flip up iron sights for some sort of engagement. Run an offset iron sight set up or offset red dot so the optics/sighting systems can stay attached to the gun. That way you can run a better mount like a NF, Badger, or Reptilia mount.

For about $50 more than just a LT745 mount alone, which is just priced fucking crazy, you can get a NF or Badger Unimount and then run a Sig Romeo5 in a TRex Arms offset mount or a nice set of offset irons like the ones from Midwest Industries or Magpul.

Reactions: TrevK and jm101
Be better than LaRue mounts and ditch the fantasy of having to quickly remove an optic in order to transition to traditional flip up iron sights for some sort of engagement. Run an offset iron sight set up or offset red dot so the optics/sighting systems can stay attached to the gun. That way you can run a better mount like a NF, Badger, or Reptilia mount.

For about $50 more than just a LT745 mount alone, which is just priced fucking crazy, you can get a NF or Badger Unimount and then run a Sig Romeo5 in a TRex Arms offset mount or a nice set of offset irons like the ones from Midwest Industries or Magpul.
Indeed, correct you are. I appreciate the insight.

My favorite optic for an AR-15 that will be shot at longer ranges is the ATACR 4-16x42. Great reticle options, great glass and they did the Leupold turret better than Leupold. Can be picked up from Eurooptic as a demo that’s real close to your budget.

I agree with everyone else on the mount, get a Badger, Nightforce or Geissele. I prefer Badger for the bolt-ons they offer.

60A28549-2B6A-4DC5-9703-1EA3F83EBD12.jpeg

Reactions: Quintus and simonp
My favorite optic for an AR-15 that will be shot at longer ranges is the ATACR 4-16x42. Great reticle options, great glass and they did the Leupold turret better than Leupold. Can be picked up from Eurooptic as a demo that’s real close to your budget.

I agree with everyone else on the mount, get a Badger, Nightforce or Geissele. I prefer Badger for the bolt-ons they offer.

View attachment 8203119
I will be getting this same setup. What height Badger mount are you using?

Grab that Steiner from @LibertyOptics post haste and throw it in a Badger C1 1.54” 20 MOA, that’s what I’d do with your budget.

I've been down this road. For the $, Trijicon 2-10X36 FFP in your choice of MRAD or MOA. I currently am running two of them and have no regrets or complaints. In fact, I find them very satisfying when using.

Reactions: B Man
It is literally mystifying that the scope with possibly the most reticle choices in the entire S&B lineup doesn’t have GR2ID as an option.

Have you asked if they will do it?

Gun rides in the back truck floor, beat around everyday, when at the range 850 and back often, far as my new range goes. Rarely use Windage unless checking groups.
Is that new range in the pic with the firebreak cut in the pines? I can imagine why you wouldn't get much wind! LOL

Is that new range in the pic with the firebreak cut in the pines? I can imagine why you wouldn't get much wind! LOL
I don’t use the turret for Windage, I use the reticle unless shooting a group is what I meant by that. Yeah it’s not the prairie in these pines but more wind than you’d think and it’s usually a full value wind since I’m set up shooting North.

Reactions: FredHammer
I know it seems you’re leaning towards 2-10/3-18, but have you looked at the 1-10 VUDU from Eotech? We’ve got three on shop rifles, 10.6”, 21oz, 34mm tube, and they can be had for around $1600 if you dig a bit.

I don’t use the turret for Windage, I use the reticle unless shooting a group is what I meant by that. Yeah it’s not the prairie in these pines but more wind than you’d think and it’s usually a full value wind since I’m set up shooting North.
If only they all could be North facing ranges! E-W ranges really put one to task with the head and tail winds. Then the Sun can dick things up early morning or late eve depending on direction. First world woes I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: B Man
Shit. Or, The Shit?

Shit as in pieces of shit. Vertical split rings suck and the issues have been covered in depth, and their throw levers suck. Even if you tighten them down so tight that you can barely manipulate them and gouge the rail when you do they still don't have anywhere near the clamping force of a bolt or nut torqued down and will moved. They also don't have good RTZ.

• Wow
A quick search will fill you in on the vertical split ring issue. It was a favorite topic here a few years ago.

A quick search will fill you in on the vertical split ring issue. It was a favorite topic here a few years ago.
Shit as in pieces of shit. Vertical split rings suck and the issues have been covered in depth, and their throw levers suck. Even if you tighten them down so tight that you can barely manipulate them and gouge the rail when you do they still don't have anywhere near the clamping force of a bolt or nut torqued down and will moved. They also don't have good RTZ.
Well, news to me. I've been using Laure Lt104s and Aimpoint mounts past 15yrs and haven't noticed problems. I'll go see what I've missed.

Reactions: BCP
There’s also that Mark Larue raised his mount prices to $400 or some such nonsense that simply takes everything he makes out of the market considering the better pricing and superior design of his competitors.

I think the main issue with the vertical split rings is that the lower bolts usually need to do two things, tighten the rings and also hold the rings to a mount. As with many dual use items, neither gets done well. Horizontal split rings avoid the issue. I should point out these problems arise with vertically split rings by makers other than just LaRue and are separate from some complaints some people have with his clamping lever design.

There’s also that Mark Larue raised his mount prices to $400 or some such nonsense that simply takes everything he makes out of the market considering the better pricing and superior design of his competitors.
OMFG I know. I went looking last month, HOLY SHIT! That's a hard no on $400!

I think the main issue with the vertical split rings is that the lower bolts usually need to do two things, tighten the rings and also hold the rings to a mount. As with many dual use items, neither gets done well. Horizontal split rings avoid the issue. I should point out these problems arise with vertically split rings by makers other than just LaRue and are separate from some complaints some people have with his clamping lever design.
I've used the LT104 models 1"-34mm on a variety of AR platforms, removed them all the time for cleaning and scope swaps and the RTZ was always nuts on. Never had any rings come loose. I knew them to be a mount I had zero troubles with. But I am sure there are just as good and better mounts now that don't cost $400 an get the job done. Having switched to bolt gun rigs these past years, the ARC rings have been my new favorite.

See, those are an excellent example. It's not the vertical seam at the top that's the problem, it's using the bottom bolts for holding the ring closed and to the rifle. ARC rings are great.

Last edited:
See, those are an excellent example. It's not the vertical seam at the top, it's using the bottom bolts for holding the ring closed and to the rifle. ARC rings are great.
I could level the scope in my lap with those rings if I were in a rush! LOL The torquing the clamps don't move the scope at all!