• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another Suppressor Accuracy Question

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    I've got a Criterion CL barrel that I had pretty much accepted was a 1-1.5 MOA barrel as I did load development with a suppressor (as I intend to shoot it 90% of the time). However, today I pulled the suppressor to see what POI shift looked like and kinda accidentally shot three in a ragged hole at 65 yards or so. My suppressed group was noticeably larger. I'm not saying this 3 round group is representative of everything, but it's making me think.

Anyone had some suppressors shoot better with different rifles, specifically on the AR platform? The suppressor in question is a name brand standard length can with a 556 endcap and 30 cal bore (if that would make a difference)

Yes - particularly if the barrel is on the thin side. The change in harmonics from the suppressor can have an impact. The cartridge and platform can have a massive effect, or very little effect. The largest I have seen was a 3-5" group from a .300 BO shrinking to a 1" group by adding a suppressor (my personal firearm). Often on the competition rifles with heavy barrels I don't see much change.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Yes - particularly if the barrel is on the thin side. The change in harmonics from the suppressor can have an impact. The cartridge and platform can have a massive effect, or very little effect. The largest I have seen was a 3-5" group from a .300 BO shrinking to a 1" group by adding a suppressor (my personal firearm). Often on the competition rifles with heavy barrels I don't see much change.
    That’s pretty extreme!

I’ve heard lots of suppressors helping accuracy but not as much them being detrimental to accuracy. My form 1 did the same thing to my 6.5 gas gun… I’ll keep playing with it and see if anything changes

It will shoot different when you hang a pound on the muzzle. Find the load it likes with the can on now.

It will shoot different when you hang a pound on the muzzle. Find the load it likes with the can on now.
    1652504439705.gif

If you have the 30 cal end cap, shoot it with that to see what happens. I have a suppressor that is a 30 cal and cannot shoot one of my 300 Hamrs…the suppressor bore is too tight and it will cause it to shoot horribly. A different suppressor, shoots superbly. Weird but it happens.

Reactions: rlsmith1