• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another suppressor selection help request thread! (30 caliber)

ballade4

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2020
Hey all - decided that I want to start the "clock" on getting a 30-caliber suppressor. Have done a good bit of research already and was in the final stretch, then came here and saw how much all the pros really like the Thunder Beasts and now I am no longer certain, lol.

First, let me clarify the use cases:

Primary: I am building a 300 BLK SBR with 10.5" barrel (already have tax stamp). Handguard that I already purchased is shorter than barrel - not going for "under the barrel" look although I may consider for a future build or refit. I handload and will be making my own subsonic rounds once I get around to it. Anyway, the can will likely spend most of its time on this guy.

Also: I also shoot an F-TR 308 WIN precision bolt gun with 30" bull barrel and a self-converted Saiga Iz-132 in 7.62x39 (not threaded to my knowledge, will replace FSB as I get closer), and am planning to grab a CMP SPECIAL grade M1 Garand - would want to be able to (quickly) swap the can between all of these fellas as I see fit. I may also be putting together a more lightweight bolt gun in 7mm-08 or 223 in near future, and maybe a "short as possible" SBR with whatever caliber gets the best accuracy with minimal barrel length. EDIT - to be clear - if I do anything to the Garand it will be to one with a new stock barrel - understood that a custom adapter would be needed.

OK, enough about the guns, what about meta considerations?

1. Minimally compromised accuracy. Especially don't want any drift on the first shot as I have heard is a thing with cans in general. I am comfortable handling a consistent POI shift otherwise.
  2. Consistency in POI when removed > replaced - don't want to have to re-zero every time. Can't really imagine that this is a real thing but figure I'd call it out. Understood that POI may be slightly different on/off, but should be consistent (two known points of impact that I can adjust for).
  3. Efficient noise reduction - as quiet as possible without being overly cumbersome and prohibitively priced. The magic equation for sure.
  4. Multiple length options - as available from a few prominent options - very interesting to me, esp. given my planned SBR has a relatively long barrel already.
  5. Flash suppression - may as well while I am here, right?
  6. Cost - I only want to buy once, and just one for now, so happy to pay a bit of a premium, but let's not go crazy. Unless that BOGO thing I saw around here comes back, lol!

So far, I am considering:

Thunder Beast Ultra 7 - I trust you guys and you seem to really like this one a lot. But is it the best option for me? Probably, but best make sure. If finances were unlimited I'd just get the 5 and 9 and call it a day, but...

SilencerCo Omega 36M - so this is one of the modular ones, from 5.75" to 7.6". Would likely keep it at 5.75" length on SBR and then beef up for the bolt gun when I shoot it. Hypothetically the extra .6" should improve noise reduction over Thunder Beast? But probably not by any noticeable amount.

Rugged Radiant - similar to the Omega, but significantly lighter and just 5.1" in short mode. This one was winning in my mind up to this point. Already determined that I'd need to get one of their muzzle devices for each rifle in order to quick-swap, not opposed to that and expect I would need to do the same for other options anyways.

Dead Air Nomad-30 + Kurz Kit - figure I would throw something from Dead Air into the mix and I really like the look in combo with the Kurz kit. Not modular so at 6.5" it seems like the Thunder Beast 7 takes it hands down...right?

Looking forward to your feedback and thank you for taking the time to help!

Last edited:
The Saiga is going to need something to provide a property suppressor-mounting interface, and the Garand is also going to be problematic.

The Ultra 7 is our best selling can, so it works "best" for a lot of people vs. the 5 or 9, apparently.

Reactions: ballade4
The Saiga is going to need something to provide a property suppressor-mounting interface, and the Garand is also going to be problematic.

The Ultra 7 is our best selling can, so it works "best" for a lot of people vs. the 5 or 9, apparently.

Ha, appreciate the 3 minute response time in the middle of the night! Nice to get direct context on why you guys are so liked and supported around here.

To be honest, I have not done a lot of exploring on either Saiga or M1 (one is not threaded, and I don't yet own the other), just figure I would mention them as potential use cases. Anyway I figured that, as long as they have threads, they can accept a suppressor with the proper muzzle device - sounds like this is not the case? Any chance you have some reading material you can direct me to so that I can get more informed? Also, what's ETA on filling all of dem backorders? ;)

You're going to have to do major surgery to the M1 Garand to mounting a can on its muzzle, I wouldn't even bother-- don't defile a Garand!

With regard to thread specs, https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

We have all products in continuous production and ship orders to dealers on a daily basis, it's just that we have a backlog for new orders at this point. You should be able to find what you need either at a dealer presently (with a little looking), or from a dealer who is set to get some relatively soon.
Here's the list for the .30 Ultra 7

You‘ve done your homework, so I’d trust your gut.
Two size modularity will eliminate a lot of models So first decide if that modularity is really important to you, then just trust your gut.

if you were going for a bolt gun dedicated can thunderbeast is a no brainer. Though I do think repeatable POI change is now more the norm than something hard to find.

For a can you’ll move around Between several bolt and semi auto hosts I’d prefer something with mount modularity (ie 1.375x24 threaded rear end). QD muzzle devices for your many host firearms needs to be factored in since they’ll hover around $100 per gun. Then when you decide you want a second can (which you will), you’ll realize you can’t make all the cans compatible with all the guns without that mount modularity and you’ve locked yourself into one brands muzzle devices/QD system.

Finally, blowback becomes a consideration with semi autos. Something like the nomad ends up starting to look like a good do all option where it’s not the best at any one thing but is pretty good compromise of a lot of key characteristics.

for some of the reasons above I personally got a turbo K, resonator R2, and nomad All with kurz kits and half a dozen hosts (4 ARs 2 bolt guns) with YHM mini brakes/flash hiders. I can use any can on any of the bolt and semi auto hosts (bore size allowing for the a turbo K of course). I’ll probably end up with a thunder beast dedicated to my Sako TRG later.

Last edited:
You‘ve done your homework, so I’d trust your gut.
Two size modularity will eliminate a lot of models So first decide if that modularity is really important to you, then just trust your gut.

if you were going for a bolt gun dedicated can thunderbeast is a no brainer. Though I do think repeatable POI change is now more the norm than something hard to find.

For a can you’ll move around Between several bolt and semi auto hosts I’d prefer something with mount modularity (ie 1.375x24 threaded rear end). QD muzzle devices for your many host firearms needs to be factored in since they’ll hover around $100 per gun. Then when you decide you want a second can (which you will), you’ll realize you can’t make all the cans compatible with all the guns without that mount modularity and you’ve locked yourself into one brands muzzle devices/QD system.

Finally, blowback becomes a consideration with semi autos. Something like the nomad ends up starting to look like a good do all option where it’s not the best at any one thing but is pretty good compromise of a lot of key characteristics.

for some of the reasons above I personally got a turbo K, resonator R2, and nomad All with kurz kits and half a dozen hosts (4 ARs 2 bolt guns) with YHM mini brakes/flash hiders. I can use any can on any of the bolt and semi auto hosts (bore size allowing for the a turbo K of course). I’ll probably end up with a thunder beast dedicated to my Sako TRG later.

Thank you! Actually completely missed that the SiCo is 9mm compatible - thinking that I will most likely start there as my first centerfire can and then add a Thunder Beast Ultra 9 / latest for the bolt gun later on. I am a bit overwhelmed by various muzzle devices for sure...would love your quick recommendations for the SiCo + (i) 10.5" SMG, (ii) 30" bolt gun, (iii) Saiga Iz w. "ideal FSB upgrade" and (iv) Glock 17 w. "ideal threaded barrel"? Blowback / recoil definitely my top priority.

I went down a similar road recently in regards to deciding on a can for a .300 BLK SBR. In my case, the SBR has an 8" barrel and I wound up going with the Nomad-30. After that purchase, I decided I wanted a more rugged suppressor that I wouldn't be to concerned with and also in .30 cal. So I bought the Sandman-K for my other .300 BLK. lol.

How fast are you planning on shooting? If you want to be able to dump a few mags in a row as you run and gun, a light weight model may not be ideal.

Also, some suppressors have a lot of back pressure and are not best for semi-automatics.

The short suppressors can be loud by comparison, I have several that can be altered and always run them long. Decibels are misleading, the difference between 120 and 130 is massive. Most sub 6" cans are neither very quiet, on overly hearing safe on a semi-automatic. The blackout SBR I want to make quiet has a 7.62 SpcWar 9" can. The one i want short has a Rugged Razor. They are very different experiences to shoot.

You're going to have to do major surgery to the M1 Garand to mounting a can on its muzzle, I wouldn't even bother-- don't defile a Garand!

With regard to thread specs, https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

We have all products in continuous production and ship orders to dealers on a daily basis, it's just that we have a backlog for new orders at this point. You should be able to find what you need either at a dealer presently (with a little looking), or from a dealer who is set to get some relatively soon.
Here's the list for the .30 Ultra 7
I'm been out of the suppressor research game for about 5 years, but the 9 30 cal sure has my attention. Would be for my 6.5 bolt and to save 2 dB not sure I want to restrict myself to a 6.5 can vs freedom to pop 30 cal. You guys provide 1 free clean a year still?

I'm been out of the suppressor research game for about 5 years, but the 9 30 cal sure has my attention. Would be for my 6.5 bolt and to save 2 dB not sure I want to restrict myself to a 6.5 can vs freedom to pop 30 cal. You guys provide 1 free clean a year still?
If you want a really quiet and lightweight Ti .30 cal can for hunting/bolt gun use, checkout the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen series. I have both a Hydrogen-S and a Hydrogen-L. They are both impressive, and the S is extremely impressive for its size and weight. The L is my dedicated hunting rifle can. I run it on their new titanium ZR0-DTA direct-thread adapter. Super light and extremely quiet. I’m running it on a 7mmRM without hearing protection, if that tells you how quiet it is. Also, POI shift is minimal from suppressed vs. unsuppressed.

Yes we do.

For a 9" long can, get the Magnus instead of the Ultra 9. It is much quieter. The quietest .30 cal can we've ever metered.

Yes we do.

For a 9" long can, get the Magnus instead of the Ultra 9. It is much quieter. The quietest .30 cal can we've ever metered.
Ah thank you. I didn't see that one listed on Silencer Shop.....do you guys deal directly or should I find a different retailer....are they not carrying the Magnus?