• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another tikka 6.5CM review. LOVE this gun.

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Had this gun for about a year, and wanted to throw up a review.

I purchased a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. The rifle came with a 24" threaded barrel, 10 round detachable magazine and bottom medal, and a stock picatinny rail. I ordered an KRG xray chassis, yo dave trigger spring, silencerco and an asr muzzle brake. In addition it sits on an atlas bipod, has a vortex gen 1 razor 5-20 ebr 2c reticle, and is always sporting my silencerco omega.

I went out to the range with my buddy who purchased the same rifle, minus the chassis (used a huntertown arms 30 cal can). We both wanted to get some muzzle velocities for different ammunition we had. I was going to shoot the hornady 140gr ELD-M, and he was going with the Prime 130 gr OTM.

The velocity differences were very interesting. My gun was shooting the ELD-M at about 2650 fps. He was shooting the 130gr OTM at around 2880 fps. My accuracy out of the ELD-M was definitely all sub moa, probably leaning around 1/2 moa, with a few groups around 1/4moa when i really did my part(at 100yds). He was getting right around 1-3/4moa out of the prime, but he did mention that the factory CTR stock did not fit him at all(he has an MPA competition chassis on order). To put these velocity differences in perspective. Let me give you the different ranges we shot last friday and our different firing solutions.

140gr Hornady 130gr Prime

400yds 2.17mils 1.74mils
    500yds 3.02mils 2.53mils
    600yds 4.00mils 3.40mils
    700yds 5.12mils 4.34mils
    800yds 6.31mils 5.38mils
    900yds 7.64mils 6.53mils
    1000yds 9.09mils 7.84mils
    1100yds 10.67mils 9.21mils
    1200yds 12.43mils 10.77mils

All of these firing solutions were obtained from a kestrel 5700 elite. I used the library custom curves for the 140 gr eldm hornady, and i used norma diamond custom curves for the prime ammo. These ranges were verified out to 800 yds(hope to go out further next time) and were all giving us consistent hits on a 12x20 steel silhouette. All of the velocities were aquired using the Labradar. Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Wags and wade2big
    Yours is shooting good. I have the same rifle as you and get the exact same velocity out of the 140 eldm and the 140
    American gunner. I get 2550 with the same ammo out of my 20”. The prime does not shoot as well out of my 24” but is a laser beam out of my 20” with the speed 160 fps faster (2710 fps).

Oh yeah, all my velocities were aquired by shooting my damn rifle at changing distances and writing my results down on paper. No chrono required or needed.

Reactions: clcustom1911
    Yours is shooting good. I have the same rifle as you and get the exact same velocity out of the 140 eldm and the 140
    American gunner. I get 2550 with the same ammo out of my 20”. The prime does not shoot as well out of my 24” but is a laser beam out of my 20” with the speed 160 fps faster (2710 fps).

Oh yeah, all my velocities were aquired by shooting my damn rifle at changing distances and writing my results down on paper. No chrono required or needed.

Thanks for the response.
    Ive read with some of the aftermarket barrels you can pick up about 100-200 fps. The factory tikka barrels have always shot well for me. I had a 20" .308 ctr that had similar results. I dont shoot competitions, so for now the factory speeds are fine. How is the american gunner in terms of accuracy? Ive seen some of that go for around $15 a box.

Thanks for the response.
    Ive read with some of the aftermarket barrels you can pick up about 100-200 fps. The factory tikka barrels have always shot well for me. I had a 20" .308 ctr that had similar results. I dont shoot competitions, so for now the factory speeds are fine. How is the american gunner in terms of accuracy? Ive seen some of that go for around $15 a box.
    There is a thread ongoing about the American gunner Ammo. I have good results with it out to the 925 yds that I can reach with both my Tikkas and through my MPA barreled Curtis axiom. Others posted similar results. So far most of the guys to post negative stuff about the ammo either never give it a chance and make assumptions or post chrono readings without the lead hitting the steel. There are a couple that said that they have seen more inconsistencies at 1000 yards compared to handloads which you should expect. Like any ammunition though, some rifles probably won’t shoot well with it.

You can find it shipped for 70 cents around quite often. If I were to buy premium ammunition to compete with I would buy 147 grain eldm for the high bc. This stuff shoots great in every gun I have tried it in. The 140 GR eldm isn’t any better than the 140 BTHP to warrant the $0.45 more a trigger pull.