• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another VT shooting

Re: Another VT shooting

Thats a drag. Between the last guy at Tech, the freeway shooters, and now this, I think we've had enough for a while.

Prayes for the officer.

This is another reason I would really like carry on campus where I am. We get them in our cars, but on our person is a whole other issue. I always have the Kimber mace shot thing with me in the backpack and my knife in my pocket because I can't carry on campus. You just never know whats going to happen.

Yeah, my school, Tech and a bunch of local places are all on lock down. I left school in spite of the lockdown because the wife and kids were at home 5 minutes from Tech campus.

That bastard killed a Tech Police Officer and a 2nd victim is dead as well. Suspect status is unknown as of now. My prayers go out to the families of the fallen. I hope they catch and put down that POS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is another reason I would really like carry on campus where I am. We get them in our cars, but on our person is a whole other issue. I always have the Kimber mace shot thing with me in the backpack and my knife in my pocket because I can't carry on campus. You just never know whats going to happen. </div></div>

I agree 100%!

My question is this: how many more reasons are needed for CONCEALED CARRY ON CAMPUS?!

I attend night classes and there is ONE...ONE...officer on campus. The doors are always unlocked and as I've stated many a time, it would be very easy for someone crazed lunatic to enter the building and MASSACRE an untold amount of people before the situation could be contained.

This bullshit of 'no guns on campus' is nothing but fuckin' nuts on parade! When will people learn that an ARMED society is a polite society?!

Local news is saying a weapon was recovered in connection with the second "victim". Unconfirmed report that the second victim may be the shooter.

VA SP is saying there is no longer an active threat on campus......

At Clemson we have a reasonably sized police force as well as the cities police that are always in and around since we basically are the town. They have specifically trained for situations like that on campus and are pretty high speed and up to date on procedures and tactics with this sort of thing should it go down.

I would be perfectly happy with a guns in backpacks only rule. Plenty of good holster that will cover the trigger that I can toss in my backpack and never worry about, like the Blackhawk Serpa or a leather one with thumb strap. No way anyone would ever see it and freak out.

Per VA SP news conference: A third party walked up to the campus officer while he was conducting a routine traffic stop and shot him. Speculation that the second victim is the shooter would not be commented on. Second victim was found alive but became deceased shortly thereafter. A weapon was recovered in the "area" of the second victim. Second victim was a male. Everything else is still under investigation/no comment.

I'm a Hokie and this F##$king sucks, I hope the second "dead" guy is the suspect. I don't know if you guys saw the video from CA after officer sprayed protesters with OC spray and one of the professors at the univesity made a statement that he does not know why the police needs guns and rifles or even OC spray on campus. THIS IS WHY!!

RIP

This rips my heart out.

As a Hokie, there is no safer place to me than Virginia Tech. Its home, heaven and paradise. It's where my ashes will go after I depart. And I am shaken to the core.

I just cannot fathom why "common sense" gun laws impedes the ability of our alums, students and faculty to protect themselves; especially on such a proud institution that has produced so many that have sacrificed the greatest.

32,000 on lockdown... no means to protect or thwart a common theft.

The School and Police have released the name of the slain Officer.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-report-o...0,7258349.story

UPDATED 9:17 p.m.: Virginia Tech has identified the officer murdered today as Deriek W. Crouse, 39, of Christiansburg.

Here is the release from Virginia Tech:

"Virginia Tech Police have identified the officer murdered today during a traffic stop on campus as Deriek W. Crouse, 39, of Christiansburg. He joined the Virginia Tech Police Department on Oct. 27, 2007, and served in the patrol division. He is survived by his wife, five children and step-children, and his mother and brother.

He received his law enforcement certification on Feb. 12, 2008, from the Cardinal Criminal Justice Academy. Officer Crouse was trained as a Crisis Intervention Officer, General Instructor, Firearms Instructor, Defensive Tactics instructor and most recently completed training for Advance Law Enforcement Rapid Response and Mechanical and Ballistic Instructor.

Officer Crouse was a member of the Virginia Tech Police Emergency Response Team since February 2011. He received an award in 2008 for his commitment to the department’s Driving Under the Influence efforts.
He formerly worked at the New River Valley Jail, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department, and was a U.S. Army veteran.

Funeral arrangements will be announced at later date."

Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers. I will keep my eyes open in case there is a person or place to send donations to help his wife and kids through the holidays.

To all you Hokies away from home... This is to you.

UPDATED 9:32 p.m.:

This is the letter from Virginia Tech President Charles Steger.

Dear Colleagues:

It is with a deep – and regrettably familiar – sense of sadness that I write to you. Once again, the campus and the community that we love so well have been visited by senseless violence and tragic loss. Tragedy again struck Virginia Tech in a wanton act of violence where our police officer, Deriek Crouse, was murdered during a routine traffic stop. My heart goes out to his family who will surely feel most keenly, in the days and months and years ahead, the profound loss that today’s events have brought to pass. We extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and to his colleagues in the police department.

But my heart goes out also to all of you, members of a strong and tightly-knit community that has had the sad misfortune to have weathered these storms before. I have been, and will continue to be, proud of how you have risen to the occasion time and time again, growing stronger in your bond and in your loyalty to one another and to the Hokie Nation.

We must also acknowledge that the bond we feel most strongly in these times is borne of sorrow, and that sorrow demands that we turn to one another for solace. I encourage you to seek out consolation in the company of your fellow Hokies, those who understand how these events, tragic though they are, shape us into better people.

The Virginia Tech community has been admirably served by its outstanding police department. Now, one who had sworn to serve and protect us has fallen, and we can pay no greater tribute than to pledge to serve and protect one another, as the spirit of Ut Prosim calls us to do.

Sincerely and with deepest sorrow,
Charles W. Steger

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-report-o...0,7258349.story

This really sucks and best wishes for the families effected by this tragedy.

If you want to carry at a school, move to Utah.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">15 "Right-to-Carry" states leave the decision of concealed carry on college campuses entirely to each college/university. A person with a license/permit who was caught carrying a firearm on a college campus could not be held criminally liable but students and employees of a university would be expelled or have their employment terminated. These states are Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.

Though these states contain a few colleges/universities, such as Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO) and Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA), that allow concealed carry on campus, most prohibit it. Utah is the only state to allow concealed carry at all public colleges/universities, by prohibiting public colleges/universities from creating their own restrictions.</div></div>

Source: http://concealedcampus.org/state-by-state.php

Second "victim" was in fact the shooter. He had changed his clothes at the "green house" after shooting the officer then ran to the "cage", and then shot himself there. Ballistics matched his weapon to the one that killed the officer. The shooter was not a Tech student, not tied to Tech in any way, and wasn't tied to the officer.

We may never know the "why" of this.........

Seems the shooter is a white male, 22, not a veteran, and graduated from another college nearby. No history, yet, of mental illness, but to do this makes me suspect.

I remember when a 19 year old white female lay down on the grass in the middle of Penn State and started lining them up and squeezing them off. They later said she was crazy and gave her 30-60.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems the shooter is a white male, 22, not a veteran, and graduated from another college nearby. No history, yet, of mental illness, but to do this makes me suspect.

</div></div>

Shooter was a current business major at Radford Univerity, and was from Partlow, Virginia. He had stolen a car at gunpoint from a Radford rental office the day before the shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter was a current business major at Radford Univerity, and was from Partlow, Virginia. He had stolen a car at gunpoint from a Radford rental office the day before the shooting. </div></div>
Obviously suffered from the stress of crushing student loan debt and impending joblessness because of greedy Wall Street fatcat financiers destroying the American dream, so he murdered a cop in cold blood and committed suicide.