• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another wasted life

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    sick.gif
    This happened in my home town. From what else Ive read the kid was taunting the cops on the radio, telling them "now Im hunting you". Guess he got what he wanted. What a shame all the way around. I never knew it was SOP to leave your squad car running even if locked. Seems like unsound practice, and would appreciate comments from LEOs on it.

Doomed teen: Seemed hyped, non-violent to witness
    by Hawes Spencer
    published 6:11am Saturday Jan 2, 2010 Write a letter to the editor
    Connie Hicks: “I held on to him as long as I could, but he took off, and I lost my grip.”
    FILE PHOTO BY JEN FARIELLO
    “I think that boy was gunned down and not given a chance,” says a Free Union farmer who may have been the last person to speak with 18-year-old Colby W. Eppard, who perished January 1 after allegedly stealing a Greene County Sheriff’s Deputy’s cruiser and taking authorities on a three-county chase.

Connie Hicks had pulled her Ford F-350 into Maupin Brothers store on Free Union Road around 1pm on New Year’s Day when she noticed a law enforcement vehicle with flashing white sidelights pull in. At first she thought there was trouble at the store, but she realized it was a different kind of trouble when a tattooed young man emerged and began fueling up a car missing its driver-side window.

“He said, “It’s the craziest thing,’ relates Hicks. “‘I was in my aunt’s truck, and I swerved to miss a puppy, and I wrecked, and this cop comes out of nowhere, and now I’m on the run.”

Hicks— noticing beer, dipping tobacco, and a big black shotgun on the front seat— urges the young man to get out of the car.

“I leaned in over the broken glass and held both of his hands. And I looked into his eyes and told him, ‘God loves you, and people love you.’ And he said, ‘I know, but they’re hunting me.”

Now leading the investigation, Virginia State Police say that Eppard, a Standardsville resident, swiped a Greene County deputy’s vehicle by smashing the window with a rock after the officer left the car locked but running while the deputy futilely searched on foot for Eppard.

“He said, “I’m a good old boy, and now I’m stalking them,’” Hicks says Eppard told her. “And he was laughing and said, ‘The stupid fat bastards. I’ve got their shotgun and their own damn cop car.’”

Though police say that he died after firing multiple shots at law enforcement officers who surrounded the vehicle on Route 20 in the Red Hill area of Albemarle, Hicks says she found nothing violent about Eppard.

“He goes in and pays for his gas,” says Hicks. “I said, ‘Get yourself up out of this car right now.’ He said, ‘No, no, no— I can’t let them catch me because I have 19 years over my head.”

A store manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirms the detail about paying for his fuel, and Hicks says that Eppard’s next move was to back up the vehicle and take a dip of tobacco.

“Why did he back up and stop? Because I was meant to talk to him,” says Hicks, who calls the meeting “really spiritual.”

Hicks, whose own plight as a farm-seeking farmer put her on the cover of the Hook last year, had come to the store to put air in the tires of her log-splitter. She wishes that instead of pursuing Eppard, law enforcers would have backed off and let the teen get talked out of the situation by his mother.

“I would like to tell her how gentle he was with me and how unthreatening he was to me,” says Hicks. “I am a 44-year-old woman with two kids, and I was leaning into the car, and there was the shotgun and a bunch of shells, and I tried to take the shotgun from him, and in no way did I ever feel threatened by him.”

The whole topic of police pursuits and whether they incite more danger than they preserve is one that erupted two months ago after an 85mph chase on Rugby Road. Like that case, police say, the Eppard incident began with a possible property crime. Eppard had allegedly improperly taken a family member’s vehicle before crashing it in Greene, but Hicks thinks law enforcement over-reacted.

“They should have found him, backed off, and let his mother talk him out of it. I think if I’d had a little longer with him I could have gotten him out of that car.”

Hicks says that as she tried to take the keys out of the ignition, Eppard had had enough and accelerated back onto Free Union Road in the direction of Earlysville.

“He was definitely hyped up because he was on a chase, and it seemed to me that he was desperate and needed help, and he was running scared,” says Hicks, who now wishes that she’d climbed inside.

“If he’d had a hostage, then maybe they wouldn’t have shot him. Right now I’m kicking myself that I didn’t get in the car with him,” says Hicks.

“You know what’s ironic?” says Hicks. “He said, “All this is happening because I swerved to miss a puppy.”

Re: Another wasted life

Squads are left running all the time, especially if parked with the emergency equipment running. It doesn't take long to drain a battery with a radio, laptop & emergency lights/spotlights turned on.

"Though police say that he died after firing multiple shots at law enforcement officers who surrounded the vehicle on Route 20 in the Red Hill area of Albemarle, Hicks says she found nothing violent about Eppard"

I'm guessing she would have felt differently had he been firing shots at her. You can line up 1000 people with stories of how he was a great altar boy, saved their choking child or volunteered for the local homeless shelter but it is completely irrelevant if he stole a car and fired shots at the police.

No one made him steal the car, no one made him shoot at police. I'm guessing if it all started because he swerved to miss a puppy then it could have ended a hell of a lot more peacefully than it did. The decisions made which ended in the loss of his life were made by him. Not the officer who left his police car locked and running.

I agree with you that it is tragic. I will add that it was stupid.

Short version: Tattooed 19 year old, gets killed after stealing a police car and a department weapon and then turning it against the local police...

We have a generation and a half of MTV and reality show raised individuals that are AFU. This is endemic of the failure of our families, education system and society as a whole.

When I was his age I was 1/2 way through college, working a full time job on second shift an hour from school. I have very little pity for him, he apparently wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and he got it.

After traveling all over the world, it is extremely depressing to see the youth of America turn out like he did, while the rest of the world (75% at least) would give anything just to be in this country and have a chance at an education and a job.

It is sad that is what he felt he had to do but I don't feel sorry for the fact he brought it on himself. Not an ounce of pity.

He was "non-violent" until he fired multiple shots at law enforcement officers?

And I loved this. "They should have found him, backed off, and let his mother talk him out of it." I guess violent criminals should not be arrested but get a good tongue lashing by their mother? Law be damned!!

Another turd flushed out of society.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"...and in no way did I ever feel threatened by him.”</div></div>

Maybe you're too stupid to recognize danger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"...and in no way did I ever feel threatened by him.”</div></div>

Maybe you're too stupid to recognize danger. </div></div>

Exactly!! +1

Its pretty dumb to stay in a stolen police cruiser, with a stolen police weapon. If he somehow thought it was a good idea to take the car at first(?), at sometime after that only a retard would stay in it. I cant believe someone in his position would think that shooting at cops was a healthy idea. It wont surprise me to find out that he was high on something.

He should've left the car(weapon in trunk) and gone to a public place and waited to be picked up. Youre not just walking away and going home after this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> no common sense, no concept of consequences for one's actions, and no respect for the law.

Han </div></div>

+1

The video-game generation. After you're dead the next game starts.

If his mamma couldnt have raised him right enough to know not to so something this stupid, why does anyone think she could have talked him out of the situation?!

Yep, another turd plucked out of the genepool and one less to go thru the filter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a bunch out there with no common sense, no concept of consequences for one's actions, and no respect for the law.

Han </div></div>

That pretty well sums it up.

Couldn't they have flown in Bob Lee Swagger to first shoot the squad car's distributor, and then, after lengthy discussion, a nourishing snack, maybe a nap, maybe then Bob Lee could have shot the shotgun out of that poor "youth's" hands?

That "teen" could have been President one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Two years ago I would have laughed at that, now it makes me uncomfortable.

Not sure why though....

I'm not sure why the title is "Another Wasted Life".

Seems this kid served his purpose in life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Two years ago I would have laughed at that, now it makes me uncomfortable.

Not sure why though.... </div></div>

Don't worry about the poor lad, he may never be President, because now he is a Captain & Casket Pirate.

Seems like he wasted his own life...he had more than enough opportunities to make it end differently.

Suicide by cop, feel sorry for the LEO that has to live with taking a young like needlessly.
    About the car, mine has a repeater in the trunk hooked to the main radio. Working a rural area a two way doesnt work. The two way talks to the car and the car relays it to the Post. I have comm as long as within a mile radius of the car. If its the same with you I'll keep my comm. Nothing lonelier than calling and no one answering AWFUL feeling.

Mike

How many times, in your part of the country, has some poor soul had his crimonal career cut short by another thug or the police and the first thing you read in the paper or hear on the news is how he was "getting his life back together"?
    I swear in our local paper, they use the same article and just change the names of the TIQ (thug in question) whenever they do the "human interest" story about the VICTIM.

1-Sounds like the GOB or Good Ole Boy was jacked on meth.

2-She has victim written all over her, and has yet to be hurt by a nut with nothing to lose.

3-His Mom is probably too busy down working the truck stop.

i absolutly hate newspapers and reporters.. anytime i see em overseas i make it clear for them to stay very far away from me.. always hear the excuse.. "it's not me it is the editors that spin the story.."

i feel for the police officers in this situation, even though they did their jobs of protecting others and most of all themselves, stories like this always gives fuel to tree hugging douchbags..

i know folks now, because of news stories,and fear of being in em, that when they see a perceived threat, they hesitate.. and the only thing worse than a silent radio is the guy watching your back freezing up..

our society is turning to shit these.. i hated when my folks were strick on me, but i am glad now that they were..

Scenario #1

"Officer please be reconsider the fact that all I did was swerve to miss a puppy"..big sad eyes.
    Followed by a level headed discussion with the PD and perp.

Or:

Scenario #2

"You just stole a cruiser, threatened EVERYONE around by driving like a F'n idiot. Fired several shots at the Police. And made statements to the fact that you weren't going to go to prison for YOUR offenses"

Followed by several well placed shots to YOUR stupid F'n body and head by the same individuals that you just clearly threatened.

No sweat on that decision. Well played, Mom must be real proud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That article seemed awfully slanted to me.</div></div>

Difficult to believe the media may be biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That article seemed awfully slanted to me.</div></div>

Difficult to believe the media may be biased. </div></div>
    Say it ain't so! I don't believe there biased as much as just looking for pure sensationalism. Different points of view/conflicting reports create that sensationalism and allow for more "follow up" reports.
    Or at least that's the way it seems with our local media.

If his mother had been doing her job and busting his narrow a$$ when he was a kid, this never would have happened.

Sheesh! The kid is a major creep and all people can say is what a nice boy he was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short version: Tattooed 19 year old, gets killed after stealing a police car and a department weapon and then turning it against the local police...
    </div></div>

Well put, as was the rest of the quote not copied here.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rY0WxgSXdEE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rY0WxgSXdEE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

What ever happened to just reporting the facts? I know it isn't as glamorous because everyone loves the drama, but some of these reporters are borderline slanderous.

Was this the same story were the perp got five shots off and the police fired 84 rounds.