• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another when to clean thread

KYAggie

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2014
    Kentucky
    Let me make this clear, this is not a how to clean thread; this is a WHEN to clean thread. We all see all kinds of advice from barrel makers on how to clean and I’ve found that Bore Tech Eliminator and or CR-4 takes care of all my cleaning needs. I rarely, if ever, use brushes of any kind. Many reputable barrel manufacturers say not to over clean and to typically only clean when the accuracy declines. I agree, however, what do you do after a range trip and the accuracy is still good?

Let’s say your rifle barrel is broken in, you go to the range and shoot 50+ rounds, you head home. Do you:

1). Clean the bore with CR4 Carbon Killer and get the carbon out, then lightly oil, put the away, and keep doing this in the future until the accuracy goes south, then you clean with Eliminator?

2). Run a couple patches of oil down the bore followed by a dry patch and put the gun away, and keep doing this in the future until the accuracy goes south, then you clean with Eliminator?

3). Clean with Eliminator after each range trip, getting the copper and the carbon out each time?

or

4). Put the gun away and don’t touch it unless the weather was rainy, and keep doing this in the future until the accuracy goes south, then you clean with Eliminator?

I have vacillated between options 1&2, but I could be convinced to try option 4 if someone like Frank Green or Bohem recommended it. What do you all do?

I do pretty much number 1. I use kg oils carbon cleaner. Run patches till dry then a little oil and clean the action. I don’t worry about copper fouling until the accuracy tells me it’s time

and when I say clean the action it’s really just a wipe down to get rid of the loose stuff and a little oil and I’m done. Unless I get into some nasty shit or bad weather I don’t break it down.

Would you only do maintenance to your car if it started to run poorly?

Also, what is your definition of clean? Patches and chemicals will not get a barrel perfectly clean.

But I generally clean after a couple of range sessions, no more than 200 on the non magnums and around 100 on the magnums. I don't shoot until accuracy falls off because of not cleaning it.

Reactions: YotaEer
    To me, cleaning is revolving as much of the copper as you can. Using just a carbon cleaner is not a full clean, only carbon removal. Most barrels I’ve seen like some copper in them and I‘ve found cleaning it all out each time is a waste of time. Carbon….I’m not sure about yet.

Accuracy is not the only issue to watch for. Carbon rings and tighter chamber/neck area can happen with a dirty barrel. Those in turn can cause pressure issues at in-opportune times.

I trend towards #4 but am starting to do more maintenance every 200-300 rounds in the 6-6.5mm calibers to avoid issues at matches, etc. If I’m going into a match weekend I like to have a relatively clean bore, with a few fouling shots, ideally 5-10 at least. Don’t want to be fouling barrel with cold bore shot/ first stage.

Reactions: KYAggie
    (4) With the exception of every 400 to 500 rounds, using Sharp Shoot-R Wipe Out foam bore cleaner for the barrel and their Carb Out cleaner to clean the muzzle brakes and crown if there's any carbon build up there. With the Bartlein hand lapped barrels, I've never had any carbon or copper issues with those barrels.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Enigmo
    while I like the comment that I heard Erik Cortina say about how good his gun shot when new and clean , so he cleans after every use . I tried that and three days in I decided for my own sanity or what's left of it I would clean it after each weeks range use . that may not be enough for some or too much for others , it's just how I do what I do for me never building up a ton of copper fouling to have to clean make cleaning a little easier , that and carbon .

Reactions: FredHammer
    At one time, I cleaned a lot less, but I am starting to go back to cleaning more often.

Factory rifles get filthy so fast that I clean them more. Quality aftermarket barrels get cleaned about every 100-200 rounds.

I clean the barrel every 200 rounds using KG1 followed by a light application of oil. I don’t believe I have ever removed the copper as I have never had an accuracy issue that a normal cleaning (carbon only) didn’t resolve. I have a 6.5 CM Bartlein barrel with 1700 rounds on it that still shoots almost as good as when new. Maybe I am deluding myself…who knows

I clean my premium barrels with very little mechanical action every 40-50rnds. It started out the gate drilling bug holes whistle clean. No point changing that shooting condition.

I have a Savage barrel that coppers like mad and shoots great for 100s of rounds.

They are all different.

I clean after every range session. Kroil patch before putting in the case and then dry patch when I get home. Another kroil patch and let it sit a few hours. Patch dry, then run an acetone patch down the bore, let that flash off and then an EEZOX patch before storage for most of my guns.

My bench guns get Butch's bore shine...wear a respirator, lol.

I live in a typically dry climate with guns in heated storage with open air.

I bore scoped a few of my barrels before and after cleaning because I had no idea when the last time they were actually cleaned was.

C4 pulled the majority of carbon out in a few patches, few hours to soak, and a few more patches.
    Eliminator pulled all the copper with a few patches, overnight soak, and a few more patches.
    Barrels were nice and clean. No pitting under the fouling. Shiny and looking new other than the fire cracking in the throats.

I was impressed with eliminator. I still have a bit of the old butches bore shine that will about knock you over. It's no better than eliminator, with the added benefit of the boretech doesn't stink.

Reactions: MarshallDodge