• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another which can

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
I am looking at getting another can to play with for targets and hunting. Typical use would be on my older 22-250 and possibly a 308 or 6.5 when the barrel goes on the 250. Also planning on using the can on a 10.5" ar from time to time as well.

I keep going back and forth between the thunderbeast, Q, and dead air.

Mounting makes no real difference for me, but if there is something one has over the others I could be swayed.

Currious what you guys have for thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Dead air for sure if being used on shorty ar.

I have the dead air 30 cal Ti. I swap it back and forth between all my bolt guns and never rezero. I would opt for a quick mount sandman L since your going to be putting it on an AR.

I know TB is loved here, as I also have 2 ultra 9's in jail atm. But I have to admit, dead air is very good...just don't have 6.5 cans. Dead Air has a nice lower tone to them also. I also have the Mask, which is the same design as TB's 22 can.

Reactions: INMY01TA
If I were you I'd suppress the one I want or need to first, the one I use the most, then get something else later for the other. Why?

Because if you're 99.99% like the rest of us, that's what's gonna happen anyway.

Elite Iron would be my choice if you were gonna go with just one. Or even two --Elite Iron is able to keep costs down by not using gimmicks, advertising or a large workforce to enable that. And he doesn't price gouge, he's honest and tells it like it is. Like TBAC, he'll also recommend other companies if he feels they can do a better job than he can. Got my .50 and .338 brakes and cans from Elite. Like TBAC, Elite uses a thread over brake so the cans go on straight and solid. He makes a phenomenal 6.5 can too, he told me he'd stack it up against any other 6.5 can out there (at that time) and if you know him, then you know he doesn't make statements like that lightly.

For true QD, I like KAC QDC and Sico Saker. QDC is probably the best "all around" can made. It actually has no real cons I can think of. True QD twist on, twist off, fairly light, locks up TDC, flash hider mounts work, brake mount is probably one of the best made, it REALLY works. Good for precision as well as hard use. It's not cheap, but it's not cheap for a reason and I learned that real fast. Of all my suppressors, that one is the most complex and different than the rest, but uses no gimmicks, it's a traditional can with baffles. A LOT of baffles. Saker is just a good, solid QD can, also with good mounts, their flash suppressor doesn't "ping" like AAC's and it twists on and off too. Fairly hefty but it can take a lot of abuse and is good for many roles. Made of Stellite, the material that lines .50BMG barrels, tougher than Inconel.

AAC makes a good can with a shitty mount, but if you can find a good deal on one (I have two ea., SDN6 and 556SD) and are willing to buy ten mounts for each can and picking the good ones while sending the bad ones back, you can get a really good can with a solid mount. And you won't have to "fix" the mount by resurfacing the bevel. The can itself is actually very well made and uses Inconel in construction.

There are many other good ones like Surefire too. But what I'd try and do is get the Ultra 9 .30 (or 6.5 if it's only going on a 6.5) and then get a hard use can. What you plan on using it for would dictate cost I guess. If it's just going on that one SBR, I'd want a short one, either a Saker 556 or 556k, AAC 556SD, Elite Iron compact, etc. All of which can be had for good prices, especially if you get it on sale. AAC and Sico just had a big one, AAC has bee cutting big discounts lately and would be a great source for a can dedicated to one SBR.

Also, depending on your definition of "hard use" you may be able to get away with just the one TBAC and be able to do what you want, or at least until you can get others. Tell them what you plan to do. FWIW, I use TBAC on SBR's, two of 'em: an Ultra 5 (or 30CB9) on an 8.2" .300BLK with supers and subs; a 6.5 Ultra 9 and the same Ultra 5 on an 11.5" 6.5G. Was told they could handle around 5 mags as fast as I can pull the trigger before needing to cool all the way down. I never do that, so it's not a problem at all.

Good luck either way you go!

Reactions: 10ring1
Thanks guys.

Planning right now to mainly go on my 22 250 bolt gun. Then just basically playing around with the can on other rifles.

Dead air is a tank and will outlast you; keymo mounts are awesome, brake needs to be timed and use shims.
Q are cans are lightweight and cherrybomb doesnt need to be timed and no shims.
TB are lightweight and brake needs to be timed with shims as well.
All three have a different purpose and they are all awesome. Whichever one of those you pick it will be a great choice.

TBAC is king for bolt guns, undoubtly. Running it on a 10.5 AR, I vote Sandman S. Mount on the DA is great. The Sandmans are heavy, which is why I vote S over the L. Plus, a I prefer a 7in over 9in can on a shorty AR. I’ve run the S on 308 and 6.5 Creed bolt guns as well as ARs and while it’s not a TBAC, it will do both.

In other words, you need two cans, not one. TBAC Ultra and a Sandman.

Reactions: woogie_man
How about the yhm resonator. Great db numbers, full auto and sbr rated. Also has a really good qd system. And all for under $500.

Reactions: jda2631
Is there really a difference when looking at the mounting? The qd would be nice, but does it hurt accuracy in any way on a bolt gun?

Would be nice to get multiple mounts for the ar and the bolt, and then any other rifles I get...

Is there really a difference when looking at the mounting? The qd would be nice, but does it hurt accuracy in any way on a bolt gun?

Would be nice to get multiple mounts for the ar and the bolt, and then any other rifles I get...
Most cans for bolt guns go DT or tapered.

That's why I was wonder about the qd attachment options. Otherwise I will have to get thread adapters and I would like to avoid that if possible

I don't like QD... So sandman Ti would be my choice, im biased though... Got one in jail currently

The Ti is quite good, mine is direct thread also. But since he is wanting interchangeability, then qd mount is the better option.

I only shoot mine on bolt guns tho.

To the OP, I would buy Dead Air or TB QD mount. They are both top notch..just pick one.

maverick, you will like the Ti. I run mine on multiple guns with absolutely no poi shifts when moving it around.

The Ti is quite good, mine is direct thread also. But since he is wanting interchangeability, then qd mount is the better option.

I only shoot mine on bolt guns tho.

To the OP, I would buy Dead Air or TB QD mount. They are both top notch..just pick one.

maverick, you will like the Ti. I run mine on multiple guns with absolutely no poi shifts when moving it around.

I don't get this argument... Why is QD better for interchangeablillity? You have to have more muzzle devices, you can't screw on buddies guns it costs more at every level

You really in such a hurry you can't take 15 more seconds to screw on a can? At the risk of loss of Accuracy and dealing with propietary mounts?

I would argue threaded is the BEST simpliest option for a can for mutiple guns. worst case you have to buy thread pattern adapter for AR barrel

Reactions: Bender
I don't get this argument... Why is QD better for interchangeablillity? You have to have more muzzle devices, you can't screw on buddies guns it costs more at every level

You really in such a hurry you can't take 15 more seconds to screw on a can? At the risk of loss of Accuracy and dealing with propietary mounts?

I would argue threaded is the BEST simpliest option for a can for mutiple guns. worst case you have to buy thread pattern adapter for AR barrel

You can have 3 rifles with 3 different thread sizes. You either end up with thread adapters of unknown quality, or muzzle devices that the manufacturer will stand behind 8f anything happens. If everything is 5/8-24, you're fine. But as soon as you get something different, it becomes an issue.

I have been a direct thread guy for bolt guns. I'm not sure that matters, but I will find out when I get my TB's out of jail. I would actually say direct is better, but he may want to throw it on his AR also at times. This is what changes my opinion.

I have mams on my AR's that are glued on with rocksett. This makes a direct thread not an option. Even if he has a regular flash hider. He will have to change crush washers also and/or reshim glue. AS for the adapter....how is that going to effect his flash flash hider on the AR ?? I have a Knights QDC for my AR's...the mams are 300 bones each, Its not cheap by any means. Buying a few QD mounts are much cheaper than another can if he is trying to save a few bucks.

Is there any proof that QD is inferior to direct ? for DA or TB ? Most of the guys at matches here have QD mounts and have never complained about buying a couple more for there other guns to use the same can.

I would actually rather him buy a 22LR can if he can swing 2 at once......everyone who buys a can for their bolt/AR always ends up with a 22LR can anyway.

You can have 3 rifles with 3 different thread sizes. You either end up with thread adapters of unknown quality, or muzzle devices that the manufacturer will stand behind 8f anything happens. If everything is 5/8-24, you're fine. But as soon as you get something different, it becomes an issue.

Pretty weak argument imho...

Only ever seen threaded 5/8th-24 or 1/2-28 on rifles... And never a 1/2-28 on a bolt gun, not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't seen it and not sure why anybody would have it threaded on a weird pattern.

Any way, plenty of quality adapterers from reputable places. Like I said I don't like QD think it's a fad and a way to get guys to buy proprietary muzzle devices. Your money but don't tell him it is definitely better... At best it's equal

Pretty sure Lowlight talked about this on a podcast the other day... Specifically about prescision guys should be going DT, was a good listen

Last edited:
The 1/2x28 would be for the ar, where the 5/8x24 would be for the bolt guns.

Already have a sico sparrow for my rimfire calibers. Great can, but it sucks not having something for the larger guns.

Looking around I have seen the trash panda comes with two adapters, one for each thread type. This would alleviate the issues of buying additional adapters

Last edited:
Pretty weak argument imho...

Only ever seen threaded 5/8th-24 or 1/2-28 on rifles... And never a 1/2-28 on a bolt gun, not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't seen it and not sure why anybody would have it threaded on a weird pattern.

Any way, plenty of quality adapterers from reputable places. Like I said I don't like QD think it's a fad and a way to get guys to buy proprietary muzzle devices. Your money but don't tell him it is definitely better... At best it's equal

Pretty sure Lowlight talked about this on a podcast the other day... Specifically about prescision guys should be going DT, was a good listen
Bolt guns with lighter hunting style contour barrels are often 1/2 or 9/16 threads. Not arguing about merits of DT vs QD, just giving you some info.

Reactions: kswaterfowl
Ill chime in. If you are running a suppressor on multiple hosts, I would definitely lean towards qd. That way I can leave muzzle devices on the barrels. And I don't have to unscrew the suppressor, then remove adapters and swap back and forth. And I have seen direct thread suppressors start to loosen after a few rounds down range. And since the op mentioned a 10.5" ar, I'm guessing he isnt going to use the suppressor for just precision use.

1/2-28 bolt guns do exist.

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_182506794.jpg
    IMG_20180407_182506794.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
I’m not a huge fan of direct thread, I’ve shot the Ti side by side with an Ultra 9 and I really like (strongly prefer) the threaded brake/flash hider. The geometry of a taper mount securely locks the can on, more secure than direct thread.

It’s really just peace of mind, since if you tighten up a direct thread properly it’s fine, but having muzzle threads always protected when you detach the can is a plus I think.

QD is not a fad in my opinion, not all QD mounts are equal but the Dead Air system is excellent. I like not needing to put a muzzle device/thread protector on if I want to shoot without a can. A KeyMo brake or flash hider looks better on an AR without a can than a TBAC brake in my opinion as well.

I shoot a lot with a guy running a Sandman S on a 6.5 RPR. He only shoots suppressed and hasn’t noticed any poi shift from reattaching the can between range sessions. That said, there’s a reason why direct thread and TOMB (thread over muzzle brake) mounts rule the precision rifle world.

I believe the difference between the Thunder Beast Ultra direct thread vs cb brake is that the direct thread has the cb brake welded in.

.30 CB brake is available in:
3/4-24
3/4-28
5/8-24
9/16-24
9/16-28
M15x1.0
M18x1.0
M18x1.5

.223 cb brake is available in 1/2-28

Yup...bought the can with a 5/8×24 muzzle break and a 1/2×28 muzzle break. Went through silencer shop and it couldn't have gone any easier. With the kiosk systems they have, it makes things simple.

Yup...bought the can with a 5/8×24 muzzle break and a 1/2×28 muzzle break. Went through silencer shop and it couldn't have gone any easier. With the kiosk systems they have, it makes things simple.
I actually picked up an Ultra7 6.5 with 5/8" brake from SS yesterday as well. First can ever, the SS kiosk and single shot trust made the process so simple. Now gotta wait 6-8 or more months for the G-man's permission. But glad I finally jumped in.

My thunderbeast just showed up. Recieved call from shop that everything is good to go.

Damn that was fast

Scratch that.....the range here isnt a in network dealer after all.....so they have the can but I can't get it....fucking small print