• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another which scope should I get thread!!!

RackSqueezeBang

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2019
GA
I know, I know, another thread on which scope should I get, but this is life on a forum.

So I turn 40 in November and the wife has green lighted me to get a kick ass scope to celebrate my impending downhill decent. What to buy, what to buy.... unfortunately I'm not familiar with a store near me that carries all the top brands for me compare, so here I am.

Currently I shoot a MPA-BA in a 6.5 CM with a Vortex Viper Gen II 5x25. Typical distances I shoot will be from 100 to 1200 yards, though to my surprise I took the little cartridge out to a mile. My primary use is 2-man Sniper Style matches, PRS style matches, Mammoth and other types of events that come up. I also like to hunt with my competition rifle, primarily prairie dogs out West but I'll sit in a deer stand from time to time as well.

The scope will go on a Spuhr mount I won at a Guardian Long Range Match (you guys are awesome). I'm looking for something at least 5x25 magnification, MRAD, and FFP. Everyone has a reticle preference and I can be a little flexible. My main requirements for a reticle is that it have a center dot or crosshair (not a fan of the open crosshair like on my Viper) and that the windage hash marks are in .2 mil increments. Again, not a fan of the .5 increments on the Viper (which btw has been a fantastic scope for that price point)

Oh, and I've been approved by the powers to be a budget of $4,000.

My original plan for this rifle was a Vortex Razor Gen II in a 4.5-27. I love the reticle and the scope has great glass at a really attractive price. (If only it came in black, I hate the color). It was only after I realized my wife was serious about the budget that I started to rethink this. At first my top choice was a Kahles k525i, but for an extra $300, I'm giving serious consideration to a Zero Compromise. I have heard nothing but extremely high praise for this scope, in spite of being a newer company. Then I got to looking at the Nightforce ATACR 7-35 and started to wonder if it would be nice to have that extra magnification? I already have a mid-tier 5x25 scope in the Vortex Viper, so would it be nice to have the extra magnification? Then of course there's Shmidt and Bender, and even though they're the "gold standard" in tactical scopes, they seem to be falling behind the times in innovation.

And then there's this one final little gem. I'm honestly having a little bit of guilt putting down $4,000 for a rifle scope. There is a very practical part of me that wonders if the extra $2,000 for a top of the line scope is worth it over the Vortex Razor. Lots of people shoot very competitively with a Razor. Is it because its that good? Or is it because its that good for the price? I'm not a professional sniper, LEO, or even semi-pro level competitive shooter. Is a premium scope worth it? I talked to two pros that shoot for the same team. One swears by Zero Compromise and says the Razor is junk, and the other shoots nothing but Razors and has four of them, go figure.

PS, I mentioned to my wife that I could get the Razor and spend the rest on a silencer (would still save a grand). She rolled her eyes and said that's not how it works..... women.... Kind of like when you to the home project yourself and ask for half of the money you saved as mad money..... hasn't worked yet....

Let the comments begin.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
You could spend all that budget on a long range course at K&M in TN and buy a Kahles while you're there and learn how to use it from the guy who designed the reticle in it. And you get away from the wife for a few days. You're welcome.

Last edited:
There's a ZCO 4-20 in the PX right now for just under $3k........

Of the optics listed in your post, I have the K525i and G2R. Both are great optics and there are pros/cons to each (plenty of threads on both of these). I picked up the G2R from a Vendor here for about $1600, and lucked into a new K525 for a great price. For $3k+ I would look at ZCO over Kahles just based on the numerous threads/reviews/comparisons. That said, the ergos of the Kahles with the top parallax, LSW, and counter clockwise mag adjustment is really growing on me.

You could spend all that budget on a long range course at K&M in TN, then buy a Kahles while you're there and learn how to use it from the guy who designed the reticle in it. And you get away from the wife for a few days. You're welcome.

Truthfully I think my wife will be thanking you just as much! LOL She likes her alone time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCSCHNUR
Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
That Hensoldt you're eyeballing is 2nd Focal. Few want that anymore unless it's a deer rifle...

That Hensoldt you're eyeballing is 2nd Focal. Few want that anymore unless it's a deer rifle...

Thanks for the heads up! That definitely would be a deal breaker, but to be honest, the reticle is enough to turn me away from it. Wanted to give clcustom a heads up on price though.

I would vote ZCO as well. For that tier scope, I like their reticle the best. Only issue is you say you already have the Spuhr or you have a cert for one? The ZCO's are a 36mm tube, I would assume if you won the actual mount and not a cert that it is 34mm.

About the guilt, I don't think anyone ever regrets buying great glass.

I don’t have any recommendations but I would like to know when you are ready to sell that PST G2

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell it, but I'll let you know if I do! I may end up putting it on an AR platform, but who knows.

I would vote ZCO as well. For that tier scope, I like their reticle the best. Only issue is you say you already have the Spuhr or you have a cert for one? The ZCO's are a 36mm tube, I would assume if you won the actual mount and not a cert that it is 34mm.

About the guilt, I don't think anyone ever regrets buying great glass.

I think I'll manage to live with the guilt.... talk about 1st world problems, haha!

I actually won a cert, not an actual mount and I've been sitting on it for that very reason, the Zcomp being a 36mm tube.

ZCO would be sweet or an S&B. Its hard to argue with a Razor, MK5, or Burris XTRIII with a couple grand left in your pocket also. Hopefully before much longer that 2k will buy you more than a box of shells again. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Last edited:
I have 2 Kahles 6x24's with left Windage and parallax adjustment under the elevation turret. Both are SMR3 illuminated reticles.
I never use the illumination though. I bought one from CS tactical, one used on here. So far no issues with either one I bought.
you can find them used for less than 2K. They work well for me so far. Some say the eye relief is pretty tight ,short eye box.
I'm shooting out to 1000 yards with them under no time constraints and it hasn't been an issue. The turrets and tracking has been very good as well as I can tell. I think they're a pretty high quality product. I guess ZCo and Night Force equal or better from what i read on here.

I’ll add to the echo chamber and mention Tangent Theta and ZCO being too choices with a Schmidt and Bender being a close third. Can’t go wrong with any of them. Pick a scope that has a reticle you like, and pull the trigger on it (no pun intended).

Damn wish my wife would do that. Everything I get has to come from my "shop money" I make and spend as I get it haha.

I dont have much insight and it sounds like you've already talked yourself out of the razor, but just in case, it weighs 3 lbs. I sold mine for that very reason.

Damn wish my wife would do that. Everything I get has to come from my "shop money" I make and spend as I get it haha.

I dont have much insight and it sounds like you've already talked yourself out of the razor, but just in case, it weighs 3 lbs. I sold mine for that very reason.

Trust me, I'm equally as shocked! Usually I'm in the same boat, using shop money (we call it mad money), selling stuff, or doing a little side gig here and there. I'm feeling pretty damn lucky.

If you have $4k to spend, see if you can find a used ZCO or TT in the classifieds here. Those are the top dogs.

That having been said, spend some time looking over the reticle details. On the top end, most scopes are very good, but every time you look through one, you will be looking at the reticle. Make sure you choose one that fits you best.

I happen to really like Gen3 XR in the TT, so that's the one I have. However, for the way I shoot, S&B's GR2ID was also very good.

Lastly, you mentioned high magnification.
If you are looking for high mag, I think March's new 5-42x56 is your best bet.
I designed a couple of reticle for it, so I am quite partial to the FML-TR1 since I pretty much made it for the way I shoot.

ILya

Thanks everyone for all your input! I pulled the trigger so to speak and ordered a Zero Compromise ZC527 with the Impact 3 Reticle..... pretty freak'n excited! The only bummer is it definitely wont be in in time for an October 24th match. At least not to mount it and test my DOPE. I have another match in the second week of November I'm hoping to have it up and running by then, we'll see. Thanks to Richard at CS Tactical for the wallet draining advice.

Thanks everyone for all your input! I pulled the trigger so to speak and ordered a Zero Compromise ZC527 with the Impact 3 Reticle..... pretty freak'n excited! The only bummer is it definitely wont be in in time for an October 24th match. At least not to mount it and test my DOPE. I have another match in the second week of November I'm hoping to have it up and running by then, we'll see. Thanks to Richard at CS Tactical for the wallet draining advice.

You're very welcome and you'll be very happy with your choice :)

Ive gone on a quest to find the best scopes. Ive had most the usual suspects. Its rare for people these days to agree on anything especially when it comes to whats best. this is not the case. ZCO and TT.
My opinion if you want upto 20x ZCO 420.
if you want upto 25x TT 525.
Ive bought quite a few scopes for alot of money and was disappointed the second I looked thru them. Hard to quantify spending so much when performance is so close to a thousand dollar scope.
Not the case with the above scopes. especially the ZCO 420.
Total Wow.
Like alot of people have said that have both. The TT is likely better than the ZCO but not $2000 better.
Snag a TT on a deal hard to say which Id take.

You could spend all that budget on a long range course at K&M in TN and buy a Kahles while you're there and learn how to use it from the guy who designed the reticle in it. And you get away from the wife for a few days. You're welcome.
My vote exactly Kahles 6

I cannot speak to the .2 mrad reticle selection but I would like to share this. I own four scopes a 5.5-22X50 NXS Nightforce, Kahles 624i X56, Leupold M5a2 6.5-20X50, and 3-15x50 P Tangent Theta. They are all perfect trackers and all have good glass IMHO . Hands down the TT is the best because of the tactile turrets and a tooless zero adjustment. The Kahles is good but seems a little harder to focus than the other three to me . The Nightforce is a excellent scope but it's a 2FP. There is a commerical building 1325 yards behind my house. The numbers are not directly facing me but on a slight angle from my point of view. The only scope I can cleary make out the address is with the Leupold M5a2. I cannot read the address with TT either but it is only 15 magnification but still my favorite scope. I have my TT currently mounted on a GA Precision M40 Variant and the Leupold with a TMR reticle is mounted a Robert Gradous 6.5 CM.

Attachments

• M40  V.JPG
    M40 V.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 55
Does the Revic PMR 428 get any love here?

I can't say i know anything about the PMR.... seems like a pretty cool idea, but I can't imagine it having the same quality glass and mechanics as a Zero Comp, TT, NF, or other top tier scope simply because of pricing. Its around the same price but includes all the electronics. Something has to give... Cool concept though.

Reactions: CSTactical