• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another year, another savage rimfire build

2guard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
nashville, tn
I plan on picking up a Savage FVSR with the 16" threaded barrel after the shot show (they are supposed to have the larger bolt knob and rail on them then), so I was thinking what stock I should put on it. I'm a little burnt out on the boyds tacticool stock, and I have already did one for my fvt, so I picked up a boyds dakota will (crazydeals second of course). I ordered the stock, received it in a couple of days, and ,marked the areas I wanted to trim with a black sharpie, and removed the buttpad. I wanted a larger, flatter forend and really liked the one on my mcmillan anschutz silhouette stock, so I decided to chop the dakota will and add some length and size to it. I had a large piece of black walnut I chopped down to an approximate size for my new forend and angle cut the front to 17 degrees on the miter. Then I miter sawed the stock into 2 pieces (hey, it was cheap, so no worries).
119bax3.jpg

f35e39.jpg

2utjh43.jpg

Then I drilled a hole (after lining the 2 pieces up and marking them) to mount a steel threaded stud to mate the two parts together. I also drilled some smaller holes areound the large hole to give the DevCon more to grab and adhere to.
9km9zn.jpg

I mixed up some devcon and put a nice large amount in the holes and on the stud and placed the two pieces together and clamped them in for the night. The next day everything was dry and strong so I started sanding.
ixgnx3.jpg

sotzx4.jpg

I formed the edged and sides of the new forend with 100grit paper with a flat planing sander. I used a dremel and the sander again to shape the edges and front of the new walnut piece. Then I started the slow work, creating and shaping the barrel channel. I used a 1" steel pipe with 100grit paper taped to it and started sanding after marking a centerline. Probably took 1.5-2 hrs total for this, mainly because as I got closed to finished, I would test fit a lot to make sure I didnt take off too much material. Turned out very nice, although my arms are a little tired.
2ur9gus.jpg

x35vdz.jpg

After the barrel channel was done, I cleaned up some edges and sanded the sides of the forend and the rest of the stock. Then I took some denatured alcohol and cleaned around the devcon joint where I could reinforce it with some fiberglass. I took some long strand dyna lite (looks like matted green hair kind of) and mixed it with hardener, and laid some down around the joint. I smoothed it out with the pice of plastic I used to mix it and let it dry.
o02nva.jpg

t6f24m.jpg

Tomorrow I will be sanding, and sanding, and sanding the whole stock. I plan on some spacers for the butt of the stock, I started to use another 540xr adjustable buttplate, but I may put a trap door in the butt for 5 round magazine storage. Planning on some type of urban, gray based camo (maybe urban flectarn similar to the Valkyrie rifle) in 3 or 4 color. I am also going to install flush mount swivels on the stock, and might even do an accessory rail. I still have to order the FVSR in the next week or so, along with a scope, RB trigger, 20moa rail, etc, etc. Just needed a nice winter project.

Re: Another year, another savage rimfire build

Im loving it so far, keep up the good work!
smile.gif

I coated the stock with some DEM-BART stock filler and sealer since I will be painting it (On wood finishes I just use multiple coats of linspeed oil and no sealer), let it dry and then sanded the entire stock again with some 220. I wiped it down with denatured alcohol again and taped off the areas where I wanted texture. The with some masking paper covered the rest of the stock. I sprayed the areas with valspar stone texture and let it dry over night.
2195dhj.jpg

jz6ss2.jpg

2rwxo54.jpg

This morning I peeled away the tape and paper and the wiped the stock down with denatured again. I used some glazing putty on the fiberglass joint where the stock and new forend are joined, where I can sand and smooth the area out before priming today.

110gm5f.jpg

w98lmg.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to prime it and get one color on it today.

Are you going to smooth out the transition zones any or is it going to remain as it appears in the pics?

How come you didnt form the forearm down with a taper to meet the stock rather then filling it with fibreglass?

Will this whole thing be painted afterwards?

It is tapered at about a 45 to meet the original stock, I added the glass to reinforce the joint. These pics show the original flat cut mating joint and a rough forming of the angle before some more sanding and then the long strand fiberglass. I actually thought about laying some fiberglass mat across the joint to add even more strength, but went with the long strand fiberglass and it coupled with the devcon/threaded steel rod makes a very stong joint. The entire stock will be primed, and then painted 3-4 color camo (something in the urban variety...ie. blue, gray, black).

rmpekk.jpg

ojdlqp.jpg

That looks pretty good so far 2guard. I'm looking forward to more up-dates.

Spent yesterday sanding, applying some more glazing compound for small holes and indentions, and then priming the stock with a basic gray primer. The smoothing and angle of the mating joint should be visible in these pics. This will probably be close to the final dominant color in the urban flectarn pattern. Stock looks nice and smooth in this gray.
fdful1.jpg

2yz0gtd.jpg

after the 2 coats of gray had dried, I shot two coats of black with adequate drying time for both before I started on the camo.Then, I applied the stencils that I had cut from a premium vinyl. I didn't post any pics of this step, because it is thoroughly done on the fvt thread in my sig, and I thought it would just be redundant. Anyway, I applied them, heated them up in the textured areas to make sure they were sticking properly, and then shot the first coat of the slate blue for the next layer. A pic in black:
t8ub79.jpg

and a pic of the blue, after the stencils are applied over the first color of black:
2hd8sic.jpg

Ho-lee-fk that is a LOT of work! But it does look nice I must say....and it will be a one-of-a-kind stock.Can't wait to see what it looks like all camo'd out.Will you be painting the action and scope to match the stock? I think that will look neat also...

shot the last coat of gray last night and let it dry over night. This morning I came in and took some pics of the stock and a close up showing the stencils under the final coats. Kind of hard to see in this size pic, but if you look close you can make them out.
731ov9.jpg

dfhmv7.jpg

So I took the stock and started removing the vinyl stencils. Very slow and tedious work, probably took an hour. The are always some scratches from the blade and point tool I use to take them off, so I grabbed a couple of small detail brushes and touched up a few areas, and hardened some lines that had a fuzzy edge. Just grab a palette of some sort, spray one color at a time on to it from the same spray paint used to spray the stock, dip your brush in and start touching areas up. It works just like canned paint, although the paint is a little thinner. Just make sure to load the brush properly and then apply.
voaqn8.jpg

After touch up I let the stock dry about 30 minutes and then took some pics of the finished camo.
2dvsgv8.jpg

2rfya2w.jpg

344zb4z.jpg

2ywxy6t.jpg

2vc9j7k.jpg

I'm going to pick up the flush mount swivels today, but haven't decided if I want to install them before or after I put some clear on the stock (I'm thinking before, in case I need to touch up any areas). I will also add one sling swivel on the forearm for a bipod, since I didn't put a rail on the underside of it. I am also working on a spacer for the butt of the stock, and looking at a trap door and magazine pocket in the rear.

I went ahead and installed the front flush mount swivels and the forearm standard stud. I used the Grovtec 1 1/4" qd flush mount swivels on the sides, picked them up from Midsouth for around $16 per pair. I measured and marked the location on each side for the screw in bases, and then drilled a pilot hole for each side. Make sure you take a piece of tape and mark the depth of the hole on the drill bit before you start.
2s79vsn.jpg

Then I took a 1/2" drill bit, lining up with the pilot hole, and drilled out the location.
10eef7l.jpg

I cleaned the sides up with an exacto and then used the threaded base to tap the hole where it would be a really tight fit. I don't recommend this on anything but wood and laminate stocks (I would use devcon and a tad larger hole on fiberglass and related stocks). After lining the base up straight with the hole, I took an allen wrench and slowly turned the base to get it started. It will get really tight and hard to turn after it starts. After a turn or two, make absolutely sure it is straight and correct before you tap it all the way in. Once done, make sure the qd swivel operates correctly and the base is seated at the proper depth. Repeat this process for the other side of the stock.
2mq89xj.jpg

zm1j4m.jpg

Next is the forend swivel stud for the bipod. Again, measure carefully and mark the spot for the hole and then drill a pilot hole. You could probably just drill the correct size without a pilot, but I find a pilot keeps wood from splintering and chipping better than just drilling the finish hole. Drill the final hole with the larger bit and start the stud slowly. Twist to proper seating depth and you're done.
14n1bbs.jpg

2d8ryhk.jpg

Finished for the day, I decided to put an action into the stock and see how it looks. I put my fvt action in it with a trigger guard. Turned out pretty good so far in my opinion. I am waiting until I decide on the buttpad/trapdoor until I install the rear flush mounts, in case placement of them may interfere with operation of the trapdoor. Once I install the rear swivels and the finalize the buttplate, I will clear the entire stock with 2 coats of satin clear. I still have to order the FVSR as soon as I know they come with the larger bolt knob and rail. The 16.5" barrel should look good with this stock once it is done.
30mlauw.jpg

6tfd3p.jpg

This is awesome. Never crossed my mind to make my own tacticool stock out of wood. Great work.

Damn man...you did the whole channel with a pipe and sand paper?! That's commitment there. Looks great btw.

yep, pipe and 100grit. It's my trusty barrel channel tool. It's opened up a few channels.
17cpbp.jpg