• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 1710 Comp XLR a viable alternative?

spife7980

Luchador
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Im thinking about a 22... I want it to be the new whizbang gadget as Ive already got a pile of old 22s from the prior century but I also still want to be able to do some old school things with it.
Im part of the oldest continuous shooting club in the nation and we are a 22lr paper schuetzen verein at 100 yards and either scope/ironsight and rest/off hand but in either case its standing up with the rifles weight on you and "for safety" they dictate that the bullets be fed one at a time. So its basically a bunch of dudes shooting old benchrest sorts of rifles standing up. As such being able to single feed the bullets by hand into the chamber is of major importance to me. But I also want it to be a repeater because I feel I have too many single shot 22s.

I know the rimx doesnt allow single feed, it has to be fed from the mag only to slide under the extractor for crf.
I know the vudoo supposedly can push feed one at a time with out being mag fed but I couldnt for the life of me get my fingers in the little port to feed it when I tried and the one time I did get the bullet in it had extraction issues. Its a one off experience I know, dont flame me.

So that brings me to the anschutz comp xlr with its open top that should allow my to single feed and start the bullet into the chamber by hand much easier.

1624031961375.png

Anyone have any experience with the 1710 action? Ive got an old 54 solid bottom thats groovy but Ive never fiddled in depth with an anschutz repeater. Looks like the port is open and with the single feed mag insert should be easy to start into the chamber by hand just like my 54?

I also like that it has an aschutz rail in the forend so I can throw a palm shelf on it for off hand in addition to the rrs dovetail.

1624031974537.png

So anyone have any issues with the rifle they can think of?

Last edited:
that looks like a hell of a rifle. How is it priced compared to Vudoo

that looks like a hell of a rifle. How is it priced compared to Vudoo
3200 vs 2500 for a vudoo element. Well thats what the vudoo element starts at. I would increase cost having to add the arca rail to the vudoo element I see pictured and better trigger etc that would increase the cost a bit. The anshutz element is a bit different from all other elements. The top line vudoo chassis model comes in around 3500.
Not really what Im worried about though, a great 22 is gonna be expensive. Even if I never competitively prs the anscutz I would still shoot it single feed all the time.

I haven't tried single feed, but have played with one of those. The XLR boys brought one out to a match when they first made them a few years back. Very cool, very well made. I would reach out to them and the Anschutz NA guys if you have questions. Annie 54's shoot. You can find cheap used single feed ones (>$1k). The repeaters were expensive and much harder to come by.

What would you like to know? If you go look at the 6x5 thread I shot one brand new out of the box not lot tested and w/out looking the average group size was .175ish.
I spec’d that gun to Germany for them to build so I think I may be able to help

Attachments

• 4A1619AE-D10D-4DA8-AB60-41616CF28855.jpeg
    4A1619AE-D10D-4DA8-AB60-41616CF28855.jpeg
    633.4 KB · Views: 866
What would you like to know? If you go look at the 6x5 thread I shot one brand new out of the box not lot tested and w/out looking the average group size was .175ish.
I spec’d that gun to Germany for them to build so I think I may be able to help
The Kelbys, nice!

Im mostly just wanting to confirm that while standing holding the rifle in your hands, you can easily feed a round into the chamber without scuffing it up, right?

I have a anschutz with a similar config sans the chassis, mine has a 54 repeater action and a thumbhole fiberglass stock.
I believe it is a 1808, not 100% sure on that.

Anyhow with the scope windage turret right over the port it still is a pain in the ass to single load, I ended up using a Athlon 10x40 optic that puts the turret behind the port.

The images you posted seem to show a standard ring config with -0- incline, not sure if you need to go long
but it is something to consider.

I have a picitinny rail on mine and it is OK but it does not fit exactly as there are various revisions on the 54 action.

The Kelbys, nice!

Im mostly just wanting to confirm that while standing holding the rifle in your hands, you can easily feed a round into the chamber without scuffing it up, right?
Yes you can. It would be far easier with the single shot adapter though.

Reactions: spife7980
The Kelbys, nice!

Anschutz 54 single shot actions have the best feed ramps of any remfire ever produced. Most Smiths try to copy them on custom actions. The 1710 is only offered as a magazine fed gun but it too feeds smoothly.They offer a single shot adaptor for the 1710 but it's not even close to feeding like a true 54 action single shot but it does work.

Are you going to use a scope on this? If so, what tube diameter? My 1710 in xlr chassis, one inch weaver 36x, single shot mag adapter used in ARA benchrest , hence the rest riders. I would like for the scope to be in higher rings for access, but I never had issues single feeding on the bench. It is kind of tight getting in there though. If I were to do over I’d use much higher rings like on my silo gun that are 1:45” between top of rail and botton of scope. It tuned well at 50 yards, 6x5 results posted in that thread. I intensely dislike anschutz’s rimfire mag repeater system, but use it in silhouette.

would you consider a martini international? They were made for single feed competition. I’ve got one I need to reline or rebarrel as it had severe erosion issues in the bore, but I keep getting drawn back to it for some strange reason.

Attachments

• 9B461FE5-500C-46E1-99E6-0B9233ED8807.jpeg
    9B461FE5-500C-46E1-99E6-0B9233ED8807.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 436
Are you going to use a scope on this? If so, what tube diameter? My 1710 in xlr chassis, one inch weaver 36x, single shot mag adapter used in ARA benchrest , hence the rest riders. I would like for the scope to be in higher rings for access, but I never had issues single feeding on the bench. It is kind of tight getting in there though. If I were to do over I’d use much higher rings like on my silo gun that are 1:45” between top of rail and botton of scope. It tuned well at 50 yards, 6x5 results posted in that thread. I intensely dislike anschutz’s rimfire mag repeater system, but use it in silhouette.

would you consider a martini international? They were made for single feed competition. I’ve got one I need to reline or rebarrel as it had severe erosion issues in the bore, but I keep getting drawn back to it for some strange reason.The Anschutz mag release

The Anschutz mag release system is ridiculous. Hard to find and even harder to release. They offer a mag release extension which resembles a small piece of angle iron hanging below the stock. Why they refuse to change this I don't understand! I've never heard anyone say they liked the Anschutz mag system. Just the opposite.

As on the rifle in the first post, there's an extended magazine release lever, shown on the 1710 below, that makes magazine changing effortless, But with a single shot adapter, shown at bottom, magazine changes are unnecessary.

would you consider a martini international? They were made for single feed competition. I’ve got one I need to reline or rebarrel as it had severe erosion issues in the bore, but I keep getting drawn back to it for some strange reason.
HA! My off hand iron site is a bsa martini model 12 and my off hand scope is a martini international. I’m wanting an actual mag fed gun for once… but that can still single feed with ease. Mag block is fine. It’s the open top that appeals most to me ms vudoo.

Yeah, I’ll scope it. I’ll use a cronus btr I have since it’s got a 25 yard parallax. Once I got the rifle in hand I was gonna stack cards to figure out the appropriate ring height since it’s gonna be a bit more proprietary and specific with likely direct rings vs picstinny.

The Anschutz mag release system is ridiculous. Hard to find and even harder to release. They offer a mag release extension which resembles a small piece of angle iron hanging below the stock. Why they refuse to change this I don't understand! I've never heard anyone say they liked the Anschutz mag system. Just the opposite.
This model I want has the long hang down release behind the mag. I’d probably put a 419 arca block on it just to protest the mag when I put it on a game changer.

What would you change it to?

I have the same rifle that grauhanen shows in his post (a different color stock) and it will shoot just about anything subsonic inside a .5 and with some lots of mid range ammo - SK Standard and just about any CX it does .3-.4s.

What would you change it to?
Mark Cheseboro and DjDilliodon both did cz 452/455/457 magwell conversions for anschutzs. Unfortunately DJ retired and Cheseboro quit making them. I have had very, very few magazine issues with my 455/457 rifles, way less problems than my anschutz 1710/1712 rifles. Both annies had to have the magwell adjusted before they were reliable enough to use in competition. I still do not like their release location or direction

Back to Spife: As I stated earlier, I’d get higher rings for clearance. The xlr chassis has a fair amount of cheekpiece vertical movement to accommodate that. The cronus is a good choice for 22’s , I use a cronus on a vudoo currently. Annies are getting pricey, but I still have a fortner action as a bucket list item and this price is close enough where I’d make that jump. But a fortner doesnt shine as a single feed.

Did not know you all ready had a couple martinis, lol. I got my mkII about five years ago and it wouldn’t do any better than .75” at 50 yards regardless of what quality ammo I used. Borescope inspection pics look like molten lava flowed down the bore, erosion is that bad in some places. Probably going to reline it. That will preserve all the barrel markings as opposed to a replacement barrel.

Good luck, would like to see what you decide to do

I've never had a bit or trouble or worry about the magazine release?

Reactions: Merlin O
I've never had a bit or trouble or worry about the magazine release?
The 1710 is a fine remfire repeater. It gives up nothing to CZs and very little to the Voodu But remember , it was never intended to have benchrest accuracy no matter what stock you put it in. It does not have the Anschutz match chamber. It was designed to feed, shoot and extract a variety of ammo well, and it does that.

On a 1712 I shot Silhouette with I took a self tapping round head 1/2 inch screw and drilled it right into the top of the factory mag release. Left about 3/8" or so sticking out of the factory piece. Not pretty but worked perfectly and IMO looked every bit as good as the "angle iron" extended release being sold.

The 1710 is a fine remfire repeater. It gives up nothing to CZs and very little to the Voodu But remember , it was never intended to have benchrest accuracy no matter what stock you put it in. It does not have the Anschutz match chamber. It was designed to feed, shoot and extract a variety of ammo well, and it does that.
The rifle being talked about most certainly has a match chamber. It’s lengthened just a hair to accommodate multiple types of ammo.

The rifle being talked about most certainly has a match chamber. It’s lengthened just a hair to accommodate multiple types of ammo.
Yep, anschutz na said it was tighter than their regular cip chamber which is tighter still than a normal American standard chamber.
They were trying to reassure me that the non match cheap version was still accurate when they said that, but I’m sure I’ll like the comp if it shoots as well as my half century old anschutz does either way.

What we did is essentially took a 54.30 chamber and throated it a little longer to have just a hair less bullet engraving. The regular 1710 chamber is a good chamber just a little looser than the match.
I think 99% of people would be happy with the regular 1710 chamber, but the comp bridges the gap between spotter and match gun accuracy.

What we did is essentially took a 54.30 chamber and throated it a little longer to have just a hair less bullet engraving. The regular 1710 chamber is a good chamber just a little looser than the match.
I think 99% of people would be happy with the regular 1710 chamber, but the comp bridges the gap between spotter and match gun accuracy.
I see you’re Alabama, are you actually anschutz na?

Yep, anschutz na said it was tighter than their regular cip chamber which is tighter still than a normal American standard chamber.
They were trying to reassure me that the non match cheap version was still accurate when they said that, but I’m sure I’ll like the comp if it shoots as well as my half century old anschutz does either way.
I've owned two Anschutz 2013's, still own a 1827 biathlon, and a 1710 in the excellent GRS stock. The 2013's were good shooters, but never shot with the consistency of my H&R model 12 (Mark Penrod build), and I'm not a huge single shot fan. The 1827 and 1710 are wonderful rifles, with excellent (1827) and really good (1710) triggers. I shoot almost exclusively at 100-250 yards with my .22's. I'm sure the 2013's would have been the winners at 50 yards, but I'm not into single shots as much as I am repeaters. That's why I've kept the 1827, 5 mags and irons makes a nice all around package that supports the 1710 with the extra mags.

Accuracy, I'll try and post some pictures later, but with the 1710 I've been able to hold 10 shots inside of 4" at 250 yards (yes calm winds). Here's a quick 250 yard snapshot; (note, 200-250 yard groups were shot prone with a bipod and rear bag)

16 June 21, 3.71" Eley Match
16 June 21, 4.46" Eley Match
? May 21, 4.27" Eley Match

200 yard
Date Unk, 2.75", Eley Match
Date Unk, 2.56", Eley Match

100 yard 6x5 Eley P 100
Date Unk, 1.09" avg Best .73 worst 1.52"

With Eley Match, best group was .51"

The GRS stock is a great stock for the 1710, balances well and is very stable off the ground (or bench) with a bipod. I'm not impressed with the MDT type chassis. I had one on a 1416 HB, and it was skittish and difficult to keep stable. If I were to buy another Anschutz, the 1710 in the GRS is an excellent choice and if you look around, you can find a used one. My only gripe with the 1710 is the mag release, the low profile factory release is hard to manipulate rapidly and the extended release looks horrible and fragile. I'm sure I'll buy it for the 1710 someday, but not just yet.

Final thought, I do own a Vudoo V22, gen 1. It's a fabulous rifle and every bit the equal of the 1710. I enjoy the 1710's bolt throw better than the Vudoo. If given the choice between the V22 with the 60 degree bolt and the 1710, it'd be a hard call. There's just so much aftermarket support for the 700 platform. I would love to see ANA continue to off the GRS stock and also team up with a top tier chassis manufacturer, Accuracy International, MPA, etc. Something with a direct correlation to the PRS crowd. An Anschutz 1710 in an AI AT-X would be amazing.

Great groups at 250... Have you tried CenterX for your 1710? Lapua and some SK shoot better that Eley in my rifles...

Great groups at 250... Have you tried CenterX for your 1710? Lapua and some SK shoot better that Eley in my rifles...
I have tried Center-X, and it hasn't impressed me in the 1710 or in my Vudoo. It does shoot well in the Begara B-14r. So much so I bought a case before things got crazy. It's really weird, Center-X is consistent (1-1.5 @ 100), but has never produced the really small groups like Eley (I've seen many 6x5's go sub 1" with Eley Match). I have seen SK Biathlon Sport shoot amazingly well, but it always will have a flier in the group. It's the blessing and curse of .22's. For the price, the SK Biathlon Sport is the go to round for my Vudoo.

I've owned two Anschutz 2013's, still own a 1827 biathlon, and a 1710 in the excellent GRS stock. The 2013's were good shooters, but never shot with the consistency of my H&R model 12 (Mark Penrod build), and I'm not a huge single shot fan. The 1827 and 1710 are wonderful rifles, with excellent (1827) and really good (1710) triggers. I shoot almost exclusively at 100-250 yards with my .22's. I'm sure the 2013's would have been the winners at 50 yards, but I'm not into single shots as much as I am repeaters. That's why I've kept the 1827, 5 mags and irons makes a nice all around package that supports the 1710 with the extra mags.

Accuracy, I'll try and post some pictures later, but with the 1710 I've been able to hold 10 shots inside of 4" at 250 yards (yes calm winds). Here's a quick 250 yard snapshot; (note, 200-250 yard groups were shot prone with a bipod and rear bag)

16 June 21, 3.71" Eley Match
16 June 21, 4.46" Eley Match
? May 21, 4.27" Eley Match

200 yard
Date Unk, 2.75", Eley Match
Date Unk, 2.56", Eley Match

100 yard 6x5 Eley P 100
Date Unk, 1.09" avg Best .73 worst 1.52"

With Eley Match, best group was .51"

The GRS stock is a great stock for the 1710, balances well and is very stable off the ground (or bench) with a bipod. I'm not impressed with the MDT type chassis. I had one on a 1416 HB, and it was skittish and difficult to keep stable. If I were to buy another Anschutz, the 1710 in the GRS is an excellent choice and if you look around, you can find a used one. My only gripe with the 1710 is the mag release, the low profile factory release is hard to manipulate rapidly and the extended release looks horrible and fragile. I'm sure I'll buy it for the 1710 someday, but not just yet.

Final thought, I do own a Vudoo V22, gen 1. It's a fabulous rifle and every bit the equal of the 1710. I enjoy the 1710's bolt throw better than the Vudoo. If given the choice between the V22 with the 60 degree bolt and the 1710, it'd be a hard call. There's just so much aftermarket support for the 700 platform. I would love to see ANA continue to off the GRS stock and also team up with a top tier chassis manufacturer, Accuracy International, MPA, etc. Something with a direct correlation to the PRS crowd. An Anschutz 1710 in an AI AT-X would be amazing.
Maybe 😏. Keep an eye out for some cool stuff

Just got my 1727 set up for elr 22 and will play with it this week, I use the GRS, stock on bipod with rear bag and have excellent results. I also use the Anschutz single shot insert on occasion and it works very well. Here is a pic if you want to see what it looks like in the GRS. It now has my old Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 on it.
IMG_0206.jpg

Anschutz could make the best 22lr PRS/NRL rifle available if they wanted to IMO, the 1927F CISM barreled action in a stock or chassis suited for the competition would be hard to beat. The problem is you can't use most chassis' on the market because of where your thumb needs to be on the fortner action. The AINA guys said they were going to come up with something on Frank's podcast but I'm not sure if that ever materialized.

Reactions: Twotter
Anschutz could make the best 22lr PRS/NRL rifle available if they wanted to IMO, the 1927F CISM barreled action in a stock or chassis suited for the competition would be hard to beat. The problem is you can't use most chassis' on the market because of where your thumb needs to be on the fortner action. The AINA guys said they were going to come up with something on Frank's podcast but I'm not sure if that ever materialized.
Patience is a virtue....

I want something like the XLR for my left handed 1761 and I want 10 round magazines. Right now I'm shooting the 1761 for anything not needing 10 round magazines to be competitive and a Kidd Super Grade for when I "need" 10 round magazines. I'm more than willing to retire the Kidd.

As the saying goes "Patience my fourth point of contact..."

Anschütz 1710 HB in a GRS X EATER stock. I hand feed this gun with no problem using a single feed magazine adapter. I have never used the repeater magazine.

Attachments

• 322EDDD4-BAEB-428A-BF73-F9DD6D78AD6A.jpeg
    322EDDD4-BAEB-428A-BF73-F9DD6D78AD6A.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 170
  • D33E7811-0692-41E0-98C1-02EBECD4AE3B.jpeg
    D33E7811-0692-41E0-98C1-02EBECD4AE3B.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 122
Throwing my 2 cents in on this……..
I’ve competed with several Anschutz models (54 and 64 repeating actions). I too believe Anschutz could make the best NRL/PRS rifle if they wanted to. They are incredible to shoot.

However, as much as I loved my Annies, at times the infamous Extraction/Ejection issues would show up at the absolute wrong time. Google and you will see what I’m talking about.

My buddy owns the comp XLR rifle being considered. The Extraction/Ejection has plagued him for a long time and in my opinion, the frustration prompted him to lose interest in the NRL game. This was after putting in extreme efforts to fix the issue……including ANA help.

Again, I’m a BIG Annie fan, and I have won several times with an Annie. However, my personal experience has taught me that if you are considering a purchase of an Annie for Comps that specifically requires a reliable repeater, you need to consider the risk.

Now all this being said, I have also been out of the Annie loop for a while, so there is a chance that Anschutz has addressed the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring1
Throwing my 2 cents in on this……..
I’ve competed with several Anschutz models (54 and 64 repeating actions). I too believe Anschutz could make the best NRL/PRS rifle if they wanted to. They are incredible to shoot.

However, as much as I loved my Annies, at times the infamous feeding issues would show up at the absolute wrong time. Google and you will see what I’m talking about.

My buddy owns the comp XLR rifle being considered. The feeding has plagued him for a long time and in my opinion, the frustration prompted him to lose interest in the NRL game. This was after putting in extreme efforts to fix the issue……including ANA help.

Again, I’m a BIG Annie fan, and I have won several times with an Annie. However, my personal experience has taught me that if you are considering a purchase of an Annie for Comps that specifically requires a reliable repeater, you need to consider the risk.

Now all this being said, I have also been out of the Annie loop for a while, so there is a chance that Anschutz has addressed the issue.
I have never seen or heard of a ANSCHUTZ having a feeding issue. Ejection yes.. feeding no. Two different things

Im thinking about a 22... I want it to be the new whizbang gadget as Ive already got a pile of old 22s from the prior century but I also still want to be able to do some old school things with it.
Im part of the oldest continuous shooting club in the nation and we are a 22lr paper schuetzen verein at 100 yards and either scope/ironsight and rest/off hand but in either case its standing up with the rifles weight on you and "for safety" they dictate that the bullets be fed one at a time. So its basically a bunch of dudes shooting old benchrest sorts of rifles standing up. As such being able to single feed the bullets by hand into the chamber is of major importance to me. But I also want it to be a repeater because I feel I have too many single shot 22s.

I know the rimx doesnt allow single feed, it has to be fed from the mag only to slide under the extractor for crf.
I know the vudoo supposedly can push feed one at a time with out being mag fed but I couldnt for the life of me get my fingers in the little port to feed it when I tried and the one time I did get the bullet in it had extraction issues. Its a one off experience I know, dont flame me.

So that brings me to the anschutz comp xlr with its open top that should allow my to single feed and start the bullet into the chamber by hand much easier.

View attachment 7649862

Anyone have any experience with the 1710 action? Ive got an old 54 solid bottom thats groovy but Ive never fiddled in depth with an anschutz repeater. Looks like the port is open and with the single feed mag insert should be easy to start into the chamber by hand just like my 54?

I also like that it has an aschutz rail in the forend so I can throw a palm shelf on it for off hand in addition to the rrs dovetail.

View attachment 7649863

So anyone have any issues with the rifle they can think of?
Anschutz rifles have a notorious reputation for FTE. You can find out more on rimfirecentral.com. For $2500, they are too much IMO. You can get a basic Vudoo for less. You might consider an Anschutz 1761 (new replacement for the 64 series), a CZ 457 or a Bergara 14r.

Reactions: MuleyTime
The ejection issues of the 54 and 64 don’t exist in the 3 examples of Fortner action rifles I’ve owned. Yet another reason Anschutz should come up with something for that action. Guys are spending crazy money on 700 clones, I’m sure there’s a market for a straight pull in the same ballpark. I see that their new biathlon rifles have 3D printed stocks, maybe the same material can be used for a PRS type stock?

Thanks for the info.

Can you confirm that the action is the standard sporter 54 action and that the new trigger will be compatible with 1710/1712 rifles?
FYI I do have a 1710 HB with side safety that feeds and ejects flawlessly. It has single stage trigger that I've set at 10-12 oz and wouldn't mind putting in the new trigger that can go as low as 4oz.

I did have a couple of other Anschutz that had ejection issues. The case would eject, but sometimes it would bounce off the bottom of scope and fall back into the chamber. Overall it was minor and didn't bother me enough to spend too much time on it.

The ejection issues of the 54 and 64 don’t exist in the 3 examples of Fortner action rifles I’ve owned. Yet another reason Anschutz should come up with something for that action. Guys are spending crazy money on 700 clones, I’m sure there’s a market for a straight pull in the same ballpark. I see that their new biathlon rifles have 3D printed stocks, maybe the same material can be used for a PRS type stock?

soon. Keep your eyes open around SHOT show time.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Thanks for the info.

Can you confirm that the action is the standard sporter 54 action and that the new trigger will be compatible with 1710/1712 rifles?
FYI I do have a 1710 HB with side safety that feeds and ejects flawlessly. It has single stage trigger that I've set at 10-12 oz and wouldn't mind putting in the new trigger that can go as low as 4oz.

I did have a couple of other Anschutz that had ejection issues. The case would eject, but sometimes it would bounce off the bottom of scope and fall back into the chamber. Overall it was minor and didn't bother me enough to spend too much time on it.

Correct. The 1710 comp is the spotter 54 action and the 5119 trigger will work with older 1710/1712s