• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 22LR Rifle

TmisterE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Washington
I'm planning to get an Anschutz 22 rifle, looking at the 1710 HB Classic Stock and the 1761 HB MPR Stock really like the MPR stock. I know the 1761 is fairly new and the 1710, 54 action has been around for years, any pros or cons for both of these rifles, I know the consensus will be just get a Vudoo but think I really want an Anschutz love those wood stocks. will be used for hunting squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, grouse, plinking and target shooting 50 to 200 yards maybe more, not into competition except friendly competition between shooting buddies. I have been shooting 22 for years and have several 22 rifles including a Bergara B-14R just looking to up my game a little. Any and all input is appreciated. Can't have enough 22's.

I've had many Annies- and my short version of answering your question is....as long as it's not for competition, get the 1710 HB. Annies are so awesome! I loved my 1710 HB, except I tried to use it (and other models) for comps and had extraction/ejection issues common with Annie's and competitions...but that's a moot point for your purposes. Get it! LOL

Same thoughts as Muley, as long as you are not competing with an annie they are fine. Their magazine system sux ass for quick reloads and their 10 round mags have lots of issues, fives have no issues. I am continually amazed watching olympic biathlon shooters smoothly go through several mags without a misfeed.

I had a 64MPR, no issues, it was heavy and used for BR, very accurate with the right ammo just like any quality RF rifle. Think about how much you will be lugging it around in the fields chasing critters.

I wouldn't get either of those if you plan to use it for hunting, the 1710HB especially is HEAVY...not nearly as heavy as my Vudoo, but more than I'd want to carry in the field. 1712AV or 1712 Silhouette would be a better choice, unless you're wrong handed. It's a shame the 1416 are discontinued, they are perfect for hunting, and consistent accuracy is well above what they had for a price point.

Since we all like pictures, my Anschutz collection, minus the Weatherby Mark XXII (Also an Anschutz 1416) that is in the vault with them.
Anschutz.jpg

My first Anschutz was a used 1710 DKL. I think it would do fine as a woods gun. Look for one of the older wing-safety models and save yourself a couple of bucks. They all shoot great. One of the Savage-Anschutzes would also be a good first one. I wouldn't worry too much about the wood. This is a tool and it will serve you well. I do think that laminates and synthetics have less reaction in moist environments. But I think too that whatever you are shooting in the woods, if it is bigger than a spider, is going to be comfortably larger than whatever error the stock material shifts cause - just my opinion, of course. They really are nice rifles, the 54 actions particularly. They lock up like a bank vault and shoot like the dickens.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I own two 1761's, one an MPR. It is the most accurate .22LR that I own but it sits in the safe due to the five round magazines (yes, Anschutz North America has been promising the ten-rounder "on the next shipment" for more than two years). The 1761 is not easy to "accessorize" as some of the other rifles but I still like them.

I like the ability to change barrels and even caliber with the 1761 although I haven't yet done so with mine.

And yes, my "go to" .22LR is one of my Vudoo's but I am not getting rid of the 1761's as long as I'm allowed more than one rifle.

edited because I don't really know how to spell safe!

2zCTj3Z.jpg

I sold a 1710 HB to get a 1712 AV and that was a big mistake on my part. As good as the 1710 was, the 1712 was the total opposite: nothing but issues with extraction and ejection that progressively got worse the more it was shot. Two trips back to Anschutz North America for repairs failed to fix it, and they now have agreed to replace it with something of equal value. That's what I call standing behind your product.

N3EYI1a.jpg

Considering all the available choices, I selected another 1710 HB. People can harp all they want about weight, but if you're planning to hunt at 50-200 yards, I'd say it was safe to assume you never had any intention of trekking thru the forest on foot, taking standing unsupported shots in the first place. Most likely, you'll be hunting from a fixed position off a bipod and the 1710 HB is a great choice for that type of hunting. .25" groups at 50 yards are very easy with ammunition it prefers. Mine liked RWS Rifle Match, SK Long Range Rifle Match and Lapua Center X.

2zCTj3Z.jpg

I sold a 1710 HB to get a 1712 AV and that was a big mistake on my part. As good as the 1710 was, the 1712 was the total opposite: nothing but issues with extraction and ejection that progressively got worse the more it was shot. Two trips back to Anschutz North America for repairs failed to fix it, and they now have agreed to replace it with something of equal value. That's what I call standing behind your product.

N3EYI1a.jpg

Considering all the available choices, I selected another 1710 HB. People can harp all they want about weight, but if you're planning to hunt at 50-200 yards, I'd say it was safe to assume you never had any intention of trekking thru the forest on foot, taking standing unsupported shots in the first place. Most likely, you'll be hunting from a fixed position off a bipod and the 1710 HB is a great choice for that type of hunting. .25" groups at 50 yards are very easy with ammunition it prefers. Mine liked RWS Rifle Match, SK Long Range Rifle Match and Lapua Center X.
How do you like the GRS stock that one is on my list too I like the hybrid with the smaller butt hook, that one is pretty heavy almost 10 pounds bare rifle. But you're right I'm not walking up mountains or trekking everywhere with a rifle, my main centerfire hunting rifle weighs around 12 pounds shit I'm old and not able to hunt like I use to even five years ago. I do think the 1710 HB will be the right rifle over over the 1761 for bench shooting, prone, off a bipod or tripod. I do like the adjustability of the GRS stock always seem to be looking for a shorter LOP. Let me know what you think of that stock, have not seen many reviews on it or that many people that have one at least on this forum, thanks for the info.

Reactions: GoggledIt
How do you like the GRS stock that one is on my list too I like the hybrid with the smaller butt hook, that one is pretty heavy almost 10 pounds bare rifle. But you're right I'm not walking up mountains or trekking everywhere with a rifle, my main centerfire hunting rifle weighs around 12 pounds shit I'm old and not able to hunt like I use to even five years ago. I do think the 1710 HB will be the right rifle over over the 1761 for bench shooting, prone, off a bipod or tripod. I do like the adjustability of the GRS stock always seem to be looking for a shorter LOP. Let me know what you think of that stock, have not seen many reviews on it or that many people that have one at least on this forum, thanks for the info.

I liked the GRS Hybrid stock. Excellent build quality. It evenly distributes the weight of the 1712 so it wasn't overly front/rear heavy and made it very easy to optimize LOP and cheek riser height to my individual preferences. That said, I still prefer a classic walnut stock on an Anschutz rifle, strictly for the aesthetics. You're right, though, the GRS Hybrid stock takes an already heavy 1710 and makes it a bit heavier by adding another pound of weight.

For my personal taste, when it comes to hunting rimfires, I prefer less plastic and alloy, and more walnut and steel.
The early SA54’s were a machinist work of art, as were the somewhat lighter 164’s
The stocks are very comfortable, balance is great, and offhand accuracy puts the blame on you for the misses, cause it sure isn’t the rifle. With modern glass there is nothing to hold you back from trigger to target.
A0EB9272-506A-470E-BFC1-6F6212F3D55F.jpeg
41E9403E-6371-465E-9CBA-DAF1D0CBE0C3.jpeg

For my personal taste, when it comes to hunting rimfires, I prefer less plastic and alloy, and more walnut and steel.
The early SA54’s were a machinist work of art, as were the somewhat lighter 164’s
The stocks are very comfortable, balance is great, and offhand accuracy puts the blame on you for the misses, cause it sure isn’t the rifle. With modern glass there is nothing to hold you back from trigger to target.
View attachment 8164420View attachment 8164422
I’ll also add, I’ve carried my B14-R hunting as well, because even though it is my barricade match rifle, it still must earn its keep off the range:
2541762A-17AD-4551-A47B-FB0150D7266F.png

I would go for the 1761. I am in the same boat. I like the stock more. With Annie's being hard to modify because lack of accessories. I'd get the one I like the stock more.
I've got a 1903 64 action I use for prs type comps. I can confirm extraction issues. I think I've figured it out and just need to do some clearancing on the action.

As for the childhood antics. Grow up. Don't need this shit on the hide.

View attachment 8164420View attachment 8164422
Damm what's the barrel length on this bottom rifle, nice looking rifles I do like the wood stocks.

gZRenlk.jpg

Picked-up a new 1710 HB yesterday. Euro Optic offered to facilitate the exchange of the 1712 on behalf of ANA and I got to drive-up and check-out the new storefront. It's mammoth, like, 20x larger than the old place.

igM1RUn.jpg
Q5tfkaH.jpg
tGO4B3T.jpg

Now they have the retail space to display their entire inventory.

I have been looking at Midwest Gun Works they seem to have a lot of Anschutz rifles in stock, they have a 1761 MPR two stage trigger. Never done business with them anyone have experience with them good to go? Also looking at Eurooptic done a lot of business with them, that's where I got my B-14R not as much Anschutz inventory as MGW but they are great to deal with. How about Anschutz North America, any other places I should be looking.

Reactions: GoggledIt
ive got accounts w/ both. both great to deal w/ i'd pick the one closer so you dont have to wait lol.
)takes a week from vegas to me and euro is right down the road...)

Update: Anschutz North America (ANA) now has the 10-round magazine for the 1761. I ordered a couple of them and will post an update once they've been on the range.

ANA did say that the new magazines lock back when empty but that is an easy fix if you want it easily close on an empty chamber.

Reactions: lastshot12
Update: Anschutz North America (ANA) now has the 10-round magazine for the 1761. I ordered a couple of them and will post an update once they've been on the range.

ANA did say that the new magazines lock back when empty but that is an easy fix if you want it easily close on an empty chamber.
Any update on this