• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 54.18 MSR for prone?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I have a line on a 54.18 MSR with a factory McMillan thumbhole stock. Before I "pull the trigger" (excuse the pun) I'm just curious to hear from those on here whether ir not these rifles are comfortable to shoot prone (off a bipod.) I know they don't have an Anschutz rail or bipod stud from the factory, not a big deal, but have no clue on how they are set up.

Anyone currently using one or who has used one in the past who could shed any light, would be fantastic.

Thanks,

-Bob

Never shot my 54.18 stocks prone. I have had both versions. But I currently have and have shot my 64 MS prone (same basic stock) and it does well...... If you look at the configuration of the stock the cheek comes up to ~ the bore center-line. My 64 MS currently has a set of Med rings and from prone - off a BullBag it lines up and feels pretty comfy.... It may put you up a tad higher than a Prone stock but..to me.. it seems to be similar to my AI rifle - in height and hold - with the AI cheek piece set all the way down.

I have an Annie 54 MS. not the repeater but same otherwise. It will shoot bugholes at 50 yards prone with cheap Wolf ammo. At 100 yards, right at an inch. A simple sling stud is all ya need. Takes about three minutes to install.

I have another Annie 54 with a longer/bull barrel that I prefer to shoot from the prone due to it being heavier. As far as accuracy though. I can tell no difference. I hope this helps ya.

Eddie

Never shot my 54.18 stocks prone. I have had both versions. But I currently have and have shot my 64 MS prone (same basic stock) and it does well...... If you look at the configuration of the stock the cheek comes up to ~ the bore center-line. My 64 MS currently has a set of Med rings and from prone - off a BullBag it lines up and feels pretty comfy.... It may put you up a tad higher than a Prone stock but..to me.. it seems to be similar to my AI rifle - in height and hold - with the AI cheek piece set all the way down.

Good to know as my main CF rifle is an AI, and I am trying to come close to the same feel.

I have an Annie 54 MS. not the repeater but same otherwise. It will shoot bugholes at 50 yards prone with cheap Wolf ammo. At 100 yards, right at an inch. A simple sling stud is all ya need. Takes about three minutes to install.

I have another Annie 54 with a longer/bull barrel that I prefer to shoot from the prone due to it being heavier. As far as accuracy though. I can tell no difference. I hope this helps ya.

Eddie

I thought the 54.18 was on the heavier side? That was one of my motivations for buying it, if it's light than I'm not gaining much.

My McMillon Anschutz 54.18 MS (single shot) with a Leupold 25 Silhouete scope and BKL rings weighed 10 lbs 1 oz.

I haven't weighed mine, but it sure seems light to me. It is made for Metallic Silhouette shooting, So I would call it light. I will jump on the scale with mine, it has a Weaver T36 on it.

Eddie

BM11,

I weighed my 54 ms and with scope it weighed 9.5 lbs, the heavy barrel 54 with custom stock and same scope 14 lbs.

Eddie

Last edited:
BM11,

I weighed my 54 ms and with scope it weighed 9.5 lbs, the heavy barrel 54 with custom stock and same scope 14 lbs.

Eddie

Damn, that wouldn't be gaining me much weight over my current setup. Thanks for taking the time!