• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 54.18 Replacement Stock Suggestions?

bubajoe

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2010
South Carolina
Spoke with a rep from McMillan this morning about a new stock to replace the thumbhole that’s currently on the rifle. McMillan makes two models, the 1700 featherweight and rimfire Magnum Varmint that fit the 54 action. Does any one have any experience with either? The only other McMillian stock that I own currently is their 10/22 version. I plan to do most shooting with that rifle from the prone position supported with a bipod or front rest. On the down side they said they’d need the barreled action for ~4 months while they fit it to the rifle.

Are there other manufacturers that make stocks for a 54 repeater that I should be looking at?

Re: Anschutz 54.18 Replacement Stock Suggestions?

You can go to Master Class stocks than have them custom fit as McMillan, would for little more money. The wait is a lot longer. He'll far more choices for the 54 action than McMillan will.

Also be advised, the 1700 featherweight is NOT the same inlet as your 54.18, nor is the Magnum Varmint. As far as drop-in inlets you are not going to find many. Robertson's Composites out of Canada has the program for the 54.18 and they do offer a few tactical stocks that you could take a look at. McMillan has the program for the 54.18 as well but, I am not sure how many different stocks they can put them in. Dick Davis on here would be able to tell you.
Isaac

edgerat is spot on-the 54.18 is its own animal, with the trigger of the 54 matches and a repeater action. Doesn't fit the usual profiles for either.

With the 54.18 being an endangered species I'd love to see them stay as the amazing sillywet guns they are!

A 1712 or 64MPR would be solid sustainable options, and very few practical shooters would utilize the trigger in the weight ranges the 54.18 shines at.

Thanks Sobrbiker and Edgerat, I'm asking because I didn't want to alter the 54.18 stock I agree with you the 54.18 in it's original configuration shouldn't be messed with. Now if it'd be possible to find a replacement stock to drop the barreled 54 action into it'd be the best of both worlds.

McMillan acknowledged the differences in 54 actions which is why they wanted the action for 4 months to make sure the fit was correct. I'll give them another call to ask if it's actually possible to make either of those stocks fit the 54.18 as well as check out that Canadian Co.