• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 64 ejection problem fixed

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Ejection on my rifle (Anschutz 64 MPR)was very poor, 1/3 of the cases exit properly on the right, 1/3 out the left side, and 1/3 just lay on top of the next shell, regardless of how fast or slow you work the bolt. This seems to be a common problem on this model, and is totally inexcusable on a $1000 rifle, my old $39 Stevens single shot worked better.

I have been studying the problem for several weeks, and had confined my work to the "shell retainer" (the left side extractor looking thing) as I had thought the problem was this part was holding the case too securely, as several people on rimfire central.com have removed this trying to get these guns to eject better. I ordered a couple of spares and whittled them into several different configurations to no avail.

I started studying different brands of bolt action .22's, I had an old Remington and a Ruger 77/22, and looked at several others at some gun shops. My brother-in-laws Savage MKII was what really turned on the light, as it is a close copy of the Annie 64 and it works perfect.

The Annie 64 extractor holds the head of the shell very tightly against the bolt face, all the others, without exception, had at least 5-10 thousandths of "slop" between the tip of the extractor and the case rim.....BINGO!!

An easy fix....

Disassemble the bolt, carefully pry the half round leaf spring off the extractor or shell retainer with a small screwdriver.

Here are the parts, the shell retainer is on the left side and the extractor is on the right side, don't get them mixed up....

DSC03417.jpg

The extractor (on the RIGHT side, with the sharp hook) needs a small amount removed from the small flat marked with the arrow. This allows the hook to be farther away from the bolt face when extracting.

DSC03415.jpg

Do this a little at a time with a small file, reassemble and check ejection after each few thousandths, keep the angle at 90 degrees, don't angle it out. I removed about .012 inch from mine.

DSC03416.jpg

The half moon spring is kind of a PITA to snap back over the ejector and retainer, it helps to clamp the bolt in a vise facing up, and use a thin wire or jewelers screwdriver to make a ramp and slide the spring down over the part, make sure the hooks are completely snapped over both sides.

Mine works perfect now, I can work the bolt fast or slow, it doesn't matter, piles them up right beside me.

As always, this worked perfect on my gun but YMMV. If something happens and you screw it up, a new one costs about $9 from Gunsmithing, Inc.

Hopes this helps someone else.

Brad

Re: Anschutz 64 ejection problem fixed

Very cool Brad!
Thanks for posting your results and fix, and modifying the rear of the extractor rather than trying to file the front was a very smart move.

I also posted this over at RFC.com and hope to get some more feedback from others as to how it works.

A question for you Annie experts.....

I wonder if the older Annies actually had a machined, round part on the extractor that fit closely in the hole, and when (if?) they changed to a stamped part they didn't take the square edges into account? Seems to be about that amount.

Anyone have an older 64 they could look at.....that ejects well??

It would be interesting (if the gun ejects well) to know the dimension from the extractor hook to the pin that inserts in the bolt.

Just thinking out loud.........

Thinking along that line, now, it may be better to actually ROUND the front corners on the extractor, instead of keeping it all square, as I did, to fit the hole better and move the hook forward at the same time.

But mine works perfect, even with a square peg in a round hole, so I am not complaining.
Brad

Thanx, for the great post. I tried it on my Anschutz, and it WORKED! Thanx again. Forestgrumpies

That's great information and an excellent example of why these forums can be so informative. I've just purchased an Anschutz 64 Sporter Benchrest, so this kind of information is something I will file away for possible future reference.

Cordially,
Blanco

after filing the extractor did anyone bother to reblue it (cold blue) or is it not worth it

mine will be delivered tomorow hopefuly im not going to get this problem

I can't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else but someone is fabricating an extended magazine release for the MPR64. I should have saved the link but did not. The magazine release on my rifle is way to hard to manipulate with one hand. The sketch I saw showed a design that fits into the trigger assembly that amounts to giving one a longer lever arm to release the magazine. It seems to require a pull from the trigger finger that results in a push to the factory magazine release. Can anyone provide a link? There must be a better way. I have called some dealers and they have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I read this prior to my first range trip and found out that I should've taken my tools along. I'll find out next trip how well it worked, took off .008, live rounds worked fine at home. (and for the safety freaks, yes the safety was on and a vest at the muzzle)

I can't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else but someone is fabricating an extended magazine release for the MPR64. I should have saved the link but did not. The magazine release on my rifle is way to hard to manipulate with one hand. The sketch I saw showed a design that fits into the trigger assembly that amounts to giving one a longer lever arm to release the magazine. It seems to require a pull from the trigger finger that results in a push to the factory magazine release. Can anyone provide a link? There must be a better way. I have called some dealers and they have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Was it this?

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-mag-release-extension-easy-no-drill-way.html

This is one reason which has held me back from getting an Annie. If you choose not to fix it who handles the Annie warranty here in the US?

This is one reason which has held me back from getting an Annie. If you choose not to fix it who handles the Annie warranty here in the US?

They will tell you that your problem is not a problem at all. From what I have read, they will not be able to replicate the problem at the factory.

If needing spare parts, I went through the below.

Altius Handcrafted Firearms

I heard good things about the Coopers, I may look into them again in the future.

The coopers can have some fantastic wood on them. One thing about them is they are in the US so if anything is wrong they fix it. They also provide an accuracy guarantee of 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards which IMO should be included at that kind of money.

Mental note to self, if spending $1k or more on a factory rifle get a cooper lol.

If you do the mod, the problem goes away. Mine does not do it anymore since i have switched to eley ammo. Doesnt matter which brand of eley either. Dont know what it is about eley, just extracts better.

Do Annie's come with an accuracy guarentee? I'm sure it's simply but IMO when spending that much money you shouldn't have to fix a thing.

Should you have to fix it..no

However, it is a simple fix and for somebody like yourself that likes to tinker, I don't think it's beyond your capabilities.

This thread is about the fix for the known ejection issue not your personal reasons for preferring Cooper over an Anschutz.

Reactions: Bwana John
Should you have to fix it..no

However, it is a simple fix and for somebody like yourself that likes to tinker, I don't think it's beyond your capabilities.

This thread is about the fix for the known ejection issue not your personal reasons for preferring Cooper over an Anschutz.

Fair enough :).

Brad, this happened with my 1903. During last month I had to stop shooting during a precision cup because of this extractor fault. I found your aricle and with the ladder method trim three tims 0.1 mm /metric/. My rifle works well it pts t he fired brasses into right side with 45 angle .

Thank you very much.
Andras

I bought a new 10 yr old stock 1416 with light tapered bbl for field gun. Ejection issues was as described. I read up and saw the fixes but out of principle I decided to not mess with it and I sent my bolt to ANA. They turned it around in a few weeks and now it ejects correctly 98% of the time. No charge no hassles and its something I believe they should automatically do like a recall. Spent 1200 bucks on a 22 that did not function properly..This is so non-German?!! Anyhow love my 22 much better now. Here is a link to show how it ejects most of the time. Some go a little higher and bounce off the side turret. But out of 60 tests they all made it out.

Invested some time into this problem and my case was not solved with extractor size modification.

but I have found how to fix it. check it out in a video - use captions for English.