• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 64 MP R Ammo testing

Aquatic_Robotic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
East Texas
I have been firing an assortment of ammo trying to determine what ammo the rifle likes best. I have tested 9 different ammos thus far and have 3 more on the way. I have bought ammo ranging in price from $2.60/50 to $13.00/50. Today I found one ammo that my gun "really" likes.

This is my results thus far:

Anschutz 64 MP R Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25X50 bipod rear bag

rank Ammo $ / 50 avg. 5 shot group
at 50 yds

1 Wolf Match Target $ 4.90 0.235

2 Eley blk match pistol $13.00 0.255

3 Eley Sport $ 3.00 0.350

4 CCI Target $ 3.60 0.435

5 Wolf Match Extra $ 6.90 0.525

7 CCI "green Tag" Comp $ 4.50 0.630

8 Rem Target Rifle $ 7.50 0.950
MFG. Eley LTD.

9 Rem Target Std Vel $ 2.60 1.350

First day to shoot any of the Wolf Match Target and the gun just seemed to really like it a lot. This was the last day I have during the month of May that I knew I would have time to shoot. I wanted to get a round in on the SH 100YB TQ-4 Comp for May.

Depsite the 12-15 mph wind, I decided after I saw how the gun shot the Wolf Match Target at 50, I'd give the 100YB TQ-4 a go for score.

Zeroed at 50 I was 6 MOA up and decided with the wind gusting 12-15 mph, but from a fairly constant from 6 to 11 set 2 MOA left.

After three previous 100YB TQ-4 practice runs in the past two weeks, here are todays results that I will post as my May 100YB TQ-4 score.

248 with 17 x's

P5240037.jpg

I was confident the gun would shoot a clean 250. After using the Wolf Match Target, as several here suggested, and a few more practice rounds, I am now fairly convinced that I can clean this target from the bench using a bipod. That is my goal for June. I also hope to start shooting from the NEW TO ME!!! prone position during some of June practice.

Re: Anschutz 64 MP R Ammo testing

Was thinking of getting one of these rifles did u buy new and did the rifle perform as good as u thought it would?

Bought it LNIB with 50 rounds fired. I think guy had money troubles and had to sell a few guns. Came with everything just as new. I could not tell it had been fired.

It has the most amazing trigger and it is extremely accurate.

Two issues;

1. Stock comb was way to low. Solved by adding strap on cheek piece.

P5070010.jpg

2. Failure to "eject" shells consistently. Got some good info here on SH and may have resolved that issue with a simple mechanical fix with about 30 minutes work.

I love the gun and it more than I expected. Get one and I think you'll be happy.

Try the match extra, ive never seen a gun that shoots MT better than ME (im pretty sure it isnt possible unless somhehow you own a gun that shoots less consistent higer vel spread ammo better)and also Lapua center x has been about the best in every gun ive shot it in and its only 9$/50.

RWS is usually good too. Some people also say the Fedreal 711b is good but none of my guns like it. The best place ive found to buy rimfire ammo is champion shooter supply.

Aquatic, if you don't mind, can you lead me to that info on the fix for the Annie ejection issue. A good friend of mine just bought that same rifle and is having the same issue.

As for the ammo, the Wolf MT/SK Standard Plus is some good stuff. I shoot a local rimfire match and a rule of the match is that you have to shoot the ammo provided, which is Wolf MT. All of the rifles on the line shoot the Wolf ammo very well. My experience with the ME has been the same as yours. Certainly not worth the extra cost. I just wish that I could find the Wolf for less than $4.60 a box. That Eley Sport is a deal at $3 a box. Have you tried Aguila Match Rifle? It also goes for around $30 a brick and shoots pretty well.

Oddly enough, I've been using Federal Auto Match for practice. Yes, I do get fliers but at $13 for 325 rounds I can live with it. The weird thing about the Auto Match is that they are hi vel rounds. Although they shoot very well at 50, things fall apart at 100. I guess they are going sub sonic at that distance and getting a wobble to them.

Reactions: Init4fun

Tony,

Try this one.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2870274&postcount=27

It was a very easy fix, but it will not work on all brands of ammo in my particular gun. I fired 150 rounds after doing the fix.

75 rds Wolf MT 100% ejection

50 rds CCI target 100% ejection

25 rds Eley Sport 50% ejection

I think I took too much off the extractor before I checked it for function the second time. I would remove about .0002 at a time and check function each time. I am going to order two new extractors and play with them to see if I can get one to eject more brands of ammo.

As it is modified now my gun shoots and ejects Wolf MT and CCI Target 100% so I'm fine. My rifle also likes the Eley Sport and it is cheap so I want to try again and see if I can modify the extractor so it ejects the Sprot and Wolf MT both at least 90-95%.

Haven't tried the Aguilla Macth RIlfe, but I think I saw it on Sale at CHeaper Than Dirt last week? I will give it a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the match extra, ive never seen a gun that shoots MT better than ME (im pretty sure it isnt possible unless somhehow you own a gun that shoots less consistent higer vel spread ammo better)and also Lapua center x has been about the best in every gun ive shot it in and its only 9$/50.

RWS is usually good too. Some people also say the Fedreal 711b is good but none of my guns like it. The best place ive found to buy rimfire ammo is champion shooter supply. </div></div>

It happens... The ammo changes a good bit from lot to lot. Once you find the "LOT" your gun like by as much as you can.