• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 64 MPR mods

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
I am gonna document some of the things I'm doing to my rifle, some of these mods could be done to other makes and models.

Here's the specs on my rifle, I've had it about a year, but never messed with it until recently.

Anschutz 64 MPR w/SS bbl
Leupold 4.5-14X40mm 30mm tube Duplex reticule Side focus w/ target knobs 1/4 MOA adjustments
Weaver bases (zero cant)
Leupy rings
B-square bubble level
Harris 6-9" notched bipod w/ pod-loc

Shoots way better than I can, likes Wolf match ammo (.1's & .2's @50 yards), will shoot cheap Federal American Eagle into 1/2" @ 50 yds.

Here are some "deficiencies" in this rifle, as I see them, others may not, but they are what I'm gonna change/fix.

1. The mag catch is small and hard to release. Takes 2 hands to change a mag.

2. No sling attachment points

3. The 2 stage trigger is much too nice @ 8 oz break, I need to single stage it and get it up to 2 lbs to match my .308, will probably have to trade it out with someone.

4. Ejection is poor, 1/3 of the cases exit properly, 1/3 out the left side, and 1/3 just lay on top of the next shell, regardless of how fast or slow you work the bolt. This seems to be a common problem on this model, and is totally inexcusable on a $1000 rifle, my old $39 Stevens single shot worked better. I will fix it, somehow.

5. Bedding the action, as it is inconsistent when you remove it and replace, POI changes and BBL is not centered in channel. BBL actually touches stock when on bipod. Wood stocks suck.

6. Stock mods to fit me and my shooting style

7. I may shim/bed my scope bases to give me another 30-40 MOA to get to 400 yards or so, I am currently out of adjustment @ 300 yards (51.75 MOA), my scope has 100 MOA of internal adjustment.

As always, when I get a new rifle, I want to keep it unmodified until I know for sure it's a keeper, and it's always hard to drill that first hole, as you know something better will come out as soon as you "mess it up" and make it harder to sell/trade. But I like the basic rifle and it shoots scary good, so here I go....

As always, don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, if you know a better/easier way, tell me, I have thick skin.

I will do each mod in a separate post, so everything doesn't get mixed up.

Brad

Re: Anschutz 64 MPR mods

One thing you might consider is the rail that member HotRod9mm designed for the 64 (54 is in the work)it has 20 moa built in and comes with stainless hex screws that fir our D&t receiver. This is a Weaver T-36 with all kinds of adjustments left over. You are right about the ejection, mine works only if I work the bolt smartly. As to your bedding with .1 &.2 with MT it will be hard to improve on that,so good luck. Mine loves RWS Rifle Target. The MPR is a best buy. Regards
CIMG1071.jpg

KAZ thanks for the HotRod plug. Looks perfect. I'm seriously looking at the Leupold 6-18 VX II with mildot from the custom shop. Somewhere around $625.

Hellbender

I'd love to have an extended mag release, and whatever you find to make the cases extract more efficiently count me in. I'm getting the same results you guys are.

Trigger is pure heaven isn't it?

KAZ,
It is a fine looking mount, but as my rifle ejects out both sides (and the middle), it would increase my failure to eject rate by 33%, sounds funny, but it's not
frown.gif
. It is also much taller than the Weaver bases I have now, my scope is a 30mm tube and it would make things very tall, even with the lowest rings.

long-shot,
You can buy the 4.5X14x40mm MK4 long range with mil-dots for the same $$, and have 100+ inches of internal adjustment w/ the 30mm tube. I bought the duplex model for under $550, as I don't see a need for mil-dots on a rifle with a max 300 yard range. You can look at mine Sunday at the match if you want to.

The trigger is cool, but in long, huff and puff, firing sessions I am having a lot of premature letoffs as I tire, it is just too light, in my opinion, for a tactical rifle, I am trying to purchase a single stage 1.5-2.5 lb trigger.

Brad

How do you like the stock?

How is it for offhand, with a sling or bipod?

Im looking into the same rifle, a bit conserned about the ejection you are talking about, but more interested in the ergonomics.

The gun is actually made for metallic silhouette shooting, which is shot from all positions, except bipods are not used, the butt plate is adjustable for cant and pitch. I'm 6'2" tall, 190 lbs and like it very well. I had to add a 1/4" pad to the cheek rest to get my eye centered behind the scope, but I do this on most of my rifles.

Sling swivels are not installed, but it has a full length forearm rail so that part is easy, just get a rail adapter (you will need one for the bipod, anyway), but you will have to drill the butt stock for rear swivels.

I've about got the ejection problem figured out, but filed/polished a little to much on one of the parts and had to order a new one. I'm sure you could send the gun to an Anschutz warranty place and get it fixed, but I like doing things myself.

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun is actually made for metallic silhouette shooting, which is shot from all positions, except bipods are not used, the butt plate is adjustable for cant and pitch. I'm 6'2" tall, 190 lbs and like it very well. I had to add a 1/4" pad to the cheek rest to get my eye centered behind the scope, but I do this on most of my rifles.

Sling swivels are not installed, but it has a full length forearm rail so that part is easy, just get a rail adapter (you will need one for the bipod, anyway), but you will have to drill the butt stock for rear swivels.

I've about got the ejection problem figured out, but filed/polished a little to much on one of the parts and had to order a new one. I'm sure you could send the gun to an Anschutz warranty place and get it fixed, but I like doing things myself.

Brad </div></div>

Sorry Brad, the 64MPR isn't built for silhouette, its built as a multi purpose rifle (hence MPR) with benchrest and positional shooting in mind. Silhouette is shot from one position, and that's on your hind legs with no support. The 64MPR is almost too heavy for silhouette as well, its a porker at 4.1kg-you'd have to be really careful with your optics/mounting choices for it to come in under the 10lb2oz limit for the standard guns. Many folks get the 64MPR and the 64MSR (Metallic Silhouette Repeater) mixed up, this is the 64 built for silhouette:
64MSR.jpg

If you do like the 2 stage but not the weight you can get it resprung. There's only a couple of people I'd trust it with though, Neal Stepp being my first recommendation and 10Ring a close second.

Rimfire Tech's Anschutz base will work on 54 and 64 actions unless there's something I don't know (wouldn't be the first time), as the 11mm rail and ejection ports are in the same place.

As far as ejection woes, that is common, and unfortunate in a $1K rifle. Sometimes the left hook is too squared (should be a little roundish relative to the right one). I've heard of folks even removing the left ejection hook with various luck.

Nice pic sobrbiker! Actually the rails are different for the 64 and 54 actions. The 64 action with 20 moa built in is very nice and has not affected the ejection on mine. The rail for the 54 action will be out early in April. If, I work the bolt smartly mine ejects just fine. If, I work it slowly it is hit and miss. You are also right about Neal @ ISS, he is very good with these rifles. I use my 1712 for sil shooting, as the MPR is to heavy. Regards

sobrbiker883

Thanks for the clarification, I did have them mixed up! It's nice to find someone who really knows what they are talking about!!

Are the single stage triggers really crisp if adjusted down to 1.5-2 Lbs ?? I have had a bunch of people wanting to trade me, but I'm sure the two stage triggers are worth more.

I have been messing with the "shellholder" as is the proper term for the left extractor, polishing and shortening it, I went too far though and just ordered 2 new ones so I can keep experimenting.

It ejects now properly about 90% of the time if you really snap the bolt back fast, but will drop the shell if done slowly.

Thanks again, Brad

You may be able to "adjust the first stage out". Read you manual and if you go backwards on the instructions for what to do if you feel no first stage. I don't recall if that's just the 54 match triggers or the 64 also. I believe the trigger is the 5098 and if you search RFC's Annie forum for that you may glean some info.

You really want to get the ejection reliable without running it back too hard, because on the 64's the sear is the bolt stop-not good to bang 'em all the time. I personally feel that's the only drawback to a 64 vs a 54. If its a one owner gun its not an issue because one can be careful of it, but the 64's have gotten bad reps as match guns mainly from club and junior guns getting beat up that way.

I shoot a CZ for a practical 22, and save the Annies for sillywet. The ejection problem rarely bugs me because shooting offhand its easy to roll the rifle towards the ejection port-not as easy on a bipod.

Another consideration is that often the scope's windage turret will be setting right over the ejection path......

Thanks KAZ-I'm probably going to retire that rifle, as its tough for me to go from my 1712's 2lb two stage to my 64MSR's 10oz two stage without losing shots in a match setting.

HB-let us know what finally works for your ejection woes, I'd be interested.

soberbiker883
I called Neal @ ISS (very sharp guy, BTW) He said this trigger can have cams & springs changed to make it heavier, but 2 stage and 10-12 Ozs is about as heavy as can be done stock.

I have talked to Neal @ISS and Gunsmithing, Inc. and neither one had ever heard of any ejection problem on 64's, said they are very reliable, seems odd that everyone I have talked to and seen many posts on the RF central forums talk about this problem.

Neal said to e-mail Anschutz in Germany and ask them about it, I think I will.

My scope is GTG, that's the first thing I checked. I don't think just the shellholder and extractor mods will fix the problem, I think some ejector work may be needed, also.

Sounds like some type of bolt stop is needed, also, if I'm gonna be slapping the bolt fast. A removable screw type, like the Rem 700 retrofits, should be pretty easy to do.

Thanks again for the info!
Brad

If anyone would steer you right it'd be Neal.
With all the work you're putting into your MPR, I'd just bite the bullet and send Neal your trigger and have the cam and springs set where you want it. Only trigger better than the 5098 is the 5018 on the 54 match rifles.

Now if you can talk McMillan into making rimfire versions of their A series we'd all be set! They have a nice rimfire stock, but the A's are where its at!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if you can talk McMillan into making rimfire versions of their A series we'd all be set! They have a nice rimfire stock, but the A's are where its at! </div></div>

Sorry to get a little off topic, but have you tried the Anschutz Silo stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if you can talk McMillan into making rimfire versions of their A series we'd all be set! They have a nice rimfire stock, but the A's are where its at! </div></div>

Sorry to get a little off topic, but have you tried the Anschutz Silo stock? </div></div>

Did you see my picture of my 64MSR, that stock with the big "ANSCHUTZ" on the side a few posts up, that's an Anschutz silhouette stock, and I've had the McMillan Anschutz style stock on my HP silhouette rifles before. They make one for the 54.18 action, but that is different than the 64 (or other 54's like the 1712).
I still think a line like their A-series with slendered and thinner bodies that would work with a lot of now popular rimfires.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if you can talk McMillan into making rimfire versions of their A series we'd all be set! They have a nice rimfire stock, but the A's are where its at! </div></div>

Sorry to get a little off topic, but have you tried the Anschutz Silo stock? </div></div>

Did you see my picture of my 64MSR, that stock with the big "ANSCHUTZ" on the side a few posts up, that's an Anschutz silhouette stock, and I've had the McMillan Anschutz style stock on my HP silhouette rifles before. They make one for the 54.18 action, but that is different than the 64 (or other 54's like the 1712).
I still think a line like their A-series with slendered and thinner bodies that would work with a lot of now popular rimfires. </div></div>

Sorry, that is what I meant about the McMillan Silo stock. Dick Davis said it could be inletted for the 64 as well. I'm not a wood stock guy, and i'm already planning before I get my rifle in hand.

Keep up the good work Hellbender.

superde-
cool. If you go with the McM Annie and want it for a precision trainer you may consider asking them to up the fill weight, as the stocks are usually built pretty light for match gun weight considerations.
Definately listen to Dick over me, as I only sometimes know what I'm talking about
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sobrbiker883

Thanks for the clarification, I did have them mixed up! It's nice to find someone who really knows what they are talking about!!

Are the single stage triggers really crisp if adjusted down to 1.5-2 Lbs ?? I have had a bunch of people wanting to trade me, but I'm sure the two stage triggers are worth more.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have been messing with the "shellholder" as is the proper term for the left extractor, polishing and shortening it, I went too far though and just ordered 2 new ones so I can keep experimenting.

It ejects now properly about 90% of the time if you really snap the bolt back fast, but will drop the shell if done slowly.</span>

Thanks again, Brad </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Hellbender</span></span> -- I know it would be a pain, but would you please be willing to post (or send via PM) a photo/.jpg image of the 'shellholder' mod you performed? I'd genuinely appreciate seeing how you contoured and reshaped the claw so as to achieve better shell extraction.

Today I spoke with Mr. Neal Stepp of International Shooters Service (ISS) on this topic, and he informed me he is well aware of the numerous reports 'from the field' of shell extraction non-reliability with the Anschutz 64 action. . . but he personally was not aware of any modifications that have or could be done to improve shell extraction. He said Anschutz has been making the 64 action for something like 50+ years. . . that to his knowledge <span style="font-style: italic">they are aware</span> of reported shell extraction issues, but that apparently they've never decided to alter their bolt assembly design for the 64 action. He recommended I email/contact Anschutz myself and forward my complaint/concern.

IMHO though, it doesn't sound to me that contacting Anschutz would amount to anything since they've known about this issue for many years. Oh well?

Like you, I like to "fix things and tinker" myself.
wink.gif

Again, I'd really, really appreciate "seeing" what mod you perform to the 'shellholder'. . . a picture paints a thousands words as they say.

~Gary

Just bears repeating:
They eject better with "brisk" bolt operation, however DO NOT slam the 64 bolts to the rear until they stop-you are then banging on the sear mechanism, not a bolt stop!!

Good luck!

Brad (a.k.a., <span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hellbender</span></span>), thank you so very, very much for inserting the forum thread weblink. Unquestionably it will be of great assistance to me. . . and I genuinely appreciate the effort you took to delve into fixing the 64 action's shell casing extraction issue, and to post that thread with the pics and the detailed description. I'm now a benefactor of your tenaciousness and recommended mod technique!
smile.gif

Thank you as well <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">sobrbiker883</span></span>, your advice is well taken and appreciated!

~Gary