• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 64 S Benchrest advice

Blanco

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
I've just joined a local gun club and plan to do some local benchrest shooting for fun. With this goal in mind (along with my budget limitations), I've purchased an Anschutz 64 Sporter Benchrest rifle with a Weaver T36 scope. For you guys who have owned and/or shot the Anschutz 64, what kind of advice could you give me on ammo, maintenance, etc.? I'd appreciate anything you can share.

Cordially,
MinuteOfArc64

Re: Anschutz 64 S Benchrest advice

Wolf Match Target for informal shooting/practice and Eley Match for more serious stuff or Eley Tenex for the really serious stuff.

I've tried many different brands and types of ammo, but I always come back to Wolf MT for a best bang for the buck accuracy load.

If you take that 64 out and it won't quite shoot well enough, try putting a Harrel (sp?) tuner on it. My buddy bought a 64 to shoot out local match with and it didn't come together for him until we put the tuner on it. Before the tuner, he was all over the place, relatively speaking.

If you're rifle is magazine fed, see if you can find the single load sled for it too.

If you are on a budget try Eley Club first, then RWS target.

Before you evaluate a new ammo type for accuracy in your rifle, make sure to shoot enough of it down the bore for the zero to settle, because mixing propellant residues and bullet lubes can affect accuracy at first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf Match Target for informal shooting/practice and Eley Match for more serious stuff or Eley Tenex for the really serious stuff.

I've tried many different brands and types of ammo, but I always come back to Wolf MT for a best bang for the buck accuracy load.

If you take that 64 out and it won't quite shoot well enough, try putting a Harrel (sp?) tuner on it. My buddy bought a 64 to shoot out local match with and it didn't come together for him until we put the tuner on it. Before the tuner, he was all over the place, relatively speaking.

If you're rifle is magazine fed, see if you can find the single load sled for it too. </div></div>

Good advice! I already have the magazine to convert it to a single-shot. As for the tuner, I'm thinking that will be down the road a way after I get accustomed to the rifle and how it shoots with the various ammo types. I've shot the Wolf Match ammo in my Ruger 10/22 Target, and it does appear to be excellent ammo. I've also bought a few boxes of the Eley Match ammo to try.

Distance makes a big difference in what ammo I shoot from my 64 MPR and other rimfire rifles.

50-200 yards Wolf Match Target does excellent for me and better than Wolf Match Extra

50-100 my 64 likes and shoots Eley Sport ($2/box) very good. I practice with it, but I would not shoot a match with it

If you going beyond 200 yards, then you will probably need to shoot the expensive stuff.

After each session, I run a dry patch down the tube to clean out the residue and leave the bore dry. If I am storing the gun for more than a week or so, I will lube the bore lightly. It takes a few shots next time out to re-lube the barrel, but this works for me. I only clean the bore with solvent (and NEVER brush it)when accuracy drops off and this only about every 600-700 rounds.

After every range session, I remove the bolt and clean the chamber area, magazine well and bolt and relube.

I never have a problem loading and firing from the 64 magazines, but that is just me. If I load up the magazines, then it much closer mimics the shot stings from my centerfire rifles, from a timing and rifle manipulation standpoint.

Good luck in your matches and you picked a winner with the 64.

In my experience, 10X shoots no better than Eley Match. Just test through a bunch of lots and settle on the one that shoots best in your gun. On average, the 10X may be better. But you are not shooting the "average" lot, you are shooting the one that shoots best in your gun.

I have read that the way that 10X vs. Match works is that Eley has 3 test guns set up in vices. If all 3 guns print good groups, the lot is labeled 10X. If 2 of them print good groups, then they are Match. If one or fewer shoot good groups, then they go to Eley Team.

So note that with Match ammo, it is still printing good groups with 2 of the guns. If your gun is like the guns that print well, then who cares if it doesn't shoot well in some guns? All you care is how it shoots in your gun.

I don't know if this is true. I do know that the best lot of Eley ammo I have ever found for my gun was a lot of Match and I have shot at least half a dozen lots of Tenex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience, 10X shoots no better than Eley Match. Just test through a bunch of lots and settle on the one that shoots best in your gun. On average, the 10X may be better. But you are not shooting the "average" lot, you are shooting the one that shoots best in your gun.

I have read that the way that 10X vs. Match works is that Eley has 3 test guns set up in vices. If all 3 guns print good groups, the lot is labeled 10X. If 2 of them print good groups, then they are Match. If one or fewer shoot good groups, then they go to Eley Team.

So note that with Match ammo, it is still printing good groups with 2 of the guns. If your gun is like the guns that print well, then who cares if it doesn't shoot well in some guns? All you care is how it shoots in your gun.

I don't know if this is true. I do know that the best lot of Eley ammo I have ever found for my gun was a lot of Match and I have shot at least half a dozen lots of Tenex. </div></div>

That's good information. I was reading a rimfire ammo test not too long ago which compared dozens of different ammos at different distances fired through a world-class benchrest rifle. The top five in order of accuracy at 50 yards were: Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS, Lapua Midas Plus, Lapua Polar Biathlon, Eley Match EPS and Eley Match. The top five in order of accuracy at 100 yards were: Eley Match, Lapua Midas Plus, Lapua Midas Match, Lapua Polar Biathlon and Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS.