• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz - Fortner 1727F PRS / NRL Build in GRS Stock

Easa

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2020
Slovakia, EU
Hello guys,

After the Sako Quad, I have commenced work on a new rifle, based on the Anschutz - Fortner 1727F Action and I would like your input. The rifle will be used 90% for PRS22 or NRL-style competition, but there will also be some Rimfire Long-Range (up to 270m), classical prone shooting with bipod and maybe BR once or twice a year. I would like the rifle to be lighter than my Quad was. Rifle will be equipped with handpicked 23" heavy barrel with threaded muzzle, 5020-1 Match trigger, chambered in 22LR. I will be purchasing barreled action only. I have never shot PRS / NRL matches and I would greatly appreciate your input.

1. As the AI Chassis is unavailable yet for me, and I do not know if it ever will, I have been basically left with two choices, that is GRS Sporter or GRS Hybrid stock. The latter is no longer available (I was told by GRS) but I have the opportunity to grab one, unfortunately only in orange color. My GS however tells me that the Hybrid is a monstrosity for 22LR rifle, that it is too large and the Sporter will be a better choice for me. On the other side, one of PRS shooters from neighbouring country in fact has a 1727F in the Hybrid stock and he seems to be very happy with his choice. What is the local opinion? Will the Sporter be good for my intentions? Can it be fitted with ARCA rail ? Anyways, the stock will get a glass & pillar bedding just like my Quad has. One more thing, if the lenght of pull on the GRS will be short for me even at the maximum setting, can the buttplate be extended somehow?

2. Scope mount. I am thinking about Murphy Precision 1727 rail + SPUHR single piece. What total MOA cant should i go for? If you have any objections to this, please, let me know.

3. Bipod. Thinking about going up the ladder from Harris to Atlas this time. I need a bipod that can dig into the ground with spikes, Fortmeier is a no-no.

4. Scope. I would like something on the lighter side yet durable, FFP, 0.05 MRAD clicks would be great - I have Delta Stryker with 0.05 MRAD adjustment and it is perfect, but sadly SFP only. Not willing to pay $6000 for S&B and similar.

5. Any other stuff that you reccomend?

Thanks for your replies.
header-6_orig (1).jpg

Reactions: carbonbased
“My GS however tells me that the Hybrid is a monstrosity for 22LR rifle”

I don’t see what caliber has to do with it. My 22LR weighs the same as my CF setup, 20-22 pounds depending on accessories, because they’re built for the same game: PRS-style shooting. Also, if you’re thinking about shooting BR, aren’t those even heavier?

I’m a little irritable at the moment so take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn’t sound to me like your GS necessarily understands the assignment.

I have that exact rifle and stock.

It is ok. Not at all ideal for PRS or NRL matches. Magazines suck but I knew that going in. I figured I could work the bolt fast enough to offset that handicap. Nope. I found out that I didnt care for it enough that I SBR'ed it and added a Gemtech mist can and it is a plinker now days.

Hindsight being 20-20 I should have got it with nice walnut stock and used it for hunting/plinking or just bought another Vudoo.

pkIVCAZ.jpg

Reactions: Near miss
Isn't the GRS stock extremely buttheavy? You're going to need a ton of strapped on weights to get some good balance on it.
"extremely butt heavy" is a slight exaggeration, but only slight. Those GRS stocks are butt heavy anyway you look at them, the adjustable LOP and cheek riser add significant weight to the butt.
It is ok. Not at all ideal for PRS or NRL matches. Magazines suck but I knew that going in. I figured I could work the bolt fast enough to offset that handicap. Nope. I found out that I didnt care for it enough that I SBR'ed it and added a Gemtech mist can and it is a plinker now days.
Which mags do they use? Same ones as the 64 and 54 rifles? The mags are expensive, 10 round mags have lots of fail to feed problems in my 54 action rifles, they work well in my 64...doesn't mean I like them, but there aren't any real options when you go with Anschutz...at least not current production.

IMG_0206.jpeg

Good looking rig😁. I love my hybrid as it gives me the flat beavertail fore end with t rail for mounting bipod etc. I have since this pic was taken mounted a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 on the Murphy Precision moa+ rail and have been very pleased.

eta- I would also sugest the extended mag release.

Reactions: Easa
"extremely butt heavy" is a slight exaggeration, but only slight. Those GRS stocks are butt heavy anyway you look at them, the adjustable LOP and cheek riser add significant weight to the butt.

Which mags do they use? Same ones as the 64 and 54 rifles? The mags are expensive, 10 round mags have lots of fail to feed problems in my 54 action rifles, they work well in my 64...doesn't mean I like them, but there aren't any real options when you go with Anschutz...at least not current production.
Man I guess I got lucky my 10 rounders work flawlessly. But I did spring for the tuned ones.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Is the stock / rifle balance that much neccessary for a good PRS rifle? Like I said, I have no experience with this. I would like to go the 1727F way, but the stock options are holding me back from purchase. If I would at least had the peace of mind knowing that the AI chassis will be certainly available for it...

Anyways, 1727F should use the same receiver and feeding system as Biathlon 1827F, those have flawless feeding, this is probably the first time I heard anything about magazines performing poorly. There are some tuned ones available?

I was also thinking about going with Victrix Venus 22 but the info is scarce on that one.

Hello,

Just wondering if Vudoo's are available in your part of the world?

Deja'vu! You already heard my ramblings on RimFire Central, so I'll spare you.

The mags feed fine.

Its getting them in the mag well in a hurry is the problem.

I have a handfull out 5 and 10 round mags from my biathlon days. Even my modified Savage 10 rounders work perfect.

Hello,

Just wondering if Vudoo's are available in your part of the world?

Not really. Can be, via individual import, but it would cost twice the price you pay for it in the US.

Deja'vu! You already heard my ramblings on RimFire Central, so I'll spare you.

Ill look into it straight away. Thx.

The mags feed fine.

Its getting them in the mag well in a hurry is the problem.

I have a handfull out 5 and 10 round mags from my biathlon days. Even my modified Savage 10 rounders work perfect.

Absolutely, IMO, at balanced rifle negates the need to muscle the gun on barricades.

Well, Ill accept an advice, thats why I asked. So, it seems that the Fortner is unsuitable for the job ATM, as there are no chassis options, GRS stock sucks for this job, magazines are unideal, rails have to be purchased separately, bedding would be needed... Too much hassle.

I will probably do the Fortner anyways, sticking it into a GRS Sporter as a plinker / long range steel target prone rifle without a need for balance, arca rail and so on. I will keep this thread updated with my progress, for anybody that would go similar way.

For my main competition rifle, I will probably opt for a Victrix Venus Pro SB, I have done some research on it and it really seems like tailored for the job.

I would think a 23" OAL heavy barrel would definitely help in the balance offset. Granted, some heavy barrels are heavier than others....

Not sure if your bipod is able to be moved fore and aft with that stock design. Another means to gain weight up front would be an ARCA rail. It's physical weight as well the ability to fast attach weights can help. Lots of things like tuners or weight kits can add weight to the front. Let alone going old school and just adding lead to the inside of the stock.

You don't need a 20-26lb gun for NRL/PRS format. You need a gun that balances and is heavy enough for you to keep on target on the bags.

Then run an ARCA compatible Harris (if you want to save some money) or go whole hog....and run ARCA compatible Atlas.

The fact that your stock is not ambidextrous for the weak side stages is another issue. Some "RH only" stocks can make due. Others are a complete mess to use.