• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz MPR inbound.

benwitt11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
SE MN
One of my earliest memorable shooting experiences was shooting an ancient Anschutz target rifle at about scout camp. At 30' it would put ten rounds into a dime sized hole. Coming from a basic 10/22 at home this was a phenomenally different experience! I've wanted an Anschutz ever since, but never quite got around to picking one up.

Fast forward nearly 20 years, and a bunch of CZ .22's and others have made it into my safe. Though they are great rifles and shoot quite well, none have matched the feeling of that old target gun. last week I happened upon a like new 64 MPR for a very reasonable price. I couldn't resist it, and it should be here in a week or so.

I've been reading up on how to fix the extraction issues it may have, along with the inexpensive Savage mag options. I've got a rail bipod adaptor and a DIP rail coming for it, so I'll be set when it arrives.

Pair that with an email that my back ordered ammo has shipped, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next couple weeks! Here's hoping it's a shooter.

If its anything like mine, you will love it. Believe it or not, mines something of a truck gun. I have it in 17 HMR and its rediculous within the restraints of the HMR round. I have killed 52 pigeons with mine this spring and am shooting in the mid 90's for bird to round ratio, I normally shoot from 25-125 yards, and have no excuses for a missed shot, it will simply pound them in the same spot again and again and again.

The worst part of the whole deal is the wood and metal are to dang pretty to use the way I do, seriously considering asking mcmillan if they will make an A3 for me, I have banged up the stock and would like to refinish it while it sits in a stock better suited for what I use it for.

Never once had an extractor issue, if anything mine has the most positive ejection of any bolt action rimfire ive shot. Its really effortless, a few flicks of the fingers and you sending another round. Mine has a random fail to fire problem that is likely due to me dry firing it to many times at the end of a magazine, I loose count and end up snapping the pin on an empty chamber.

The trigger is wonderful, I have some very good rifle basix and timneys and this one ranks right up there.

Hope you got a bunch of ammo, its gonna be addicting!

The MPR arrived yesterday. Apart from a few dings in the stock it looks near new. The trigger breaks at around 6oz, and feels amazing. The scope and rind set up are temporary. They'll work fine until everything proper comes in.

I've got 7 different types of ammo to test as soon as we get a break in the weather here in S MN. Color me excited.

Last edited:
Right, it's been a long day. They're different lots at least! I'm hoping it likes the SK. I have a fair quantity of that, and I'm low on all of the others.

Beautiful rifle, congratulations. I have lusted after one of those for a while now. Be sure to show off the range results.

Be sure to try some Eley with the EPS bullet like Match or Tennex. I avoided trying it for years because I almost didn't want to know. Turns out my Anschutz really liked it. It also substantially preferred $60 a brick Eley target to $50 a brick Wolf. You just gotts to try it all.

Good choice with the MPR. Lots of versatility and accuracy for the price.

Made it out to the gravel pit for a first impromptu range session today. Weeds were grown up pretty high, all but negating prone shooting. I only had about an hour or so to shoot, so I set up on the roof of my car, laying against it standing and shooting with the gun supported with bags front and rear.

I've been dry firing a fair amount to get used to the trigger. Coming from guns with pull weights set in the 1.5-3lb range the sub half lb, two stage trigger takes a bit of getting used to.

The weather was quite cooperative. Temps were in the low 60's with only very light left to right wind. I set up 50 yards off a sheet of paper with 1" shoot and see target covers. Knowing I was not set up ideally for ammo testing, I stuck to Federal Champion and SK Standard.

In short, the gun shoots just as I had hoped. The Federal shot at just in an inch and the SK shot well under that. Even counting pulled shots the SK shot under an inch for 10 shot groups. I am more than happy with that given the circumstances.

I'm looking forward to getting out on the actual range prone and from the bench. It'll be interesting to really test for ammo preference. I'm hoping the SK/Wolf proves to be sufficient, as i have the best stock of those. I'll post an update with photos when I have something worth taking a picture of.

I had a proper dummy round chambered. I've had fine luck using spent cases as well. This my first Annie, but it joins a host of others.

See that "Oh-yeah" expression on my face, just nailed a ground squirrel.

My wife and I were camping up in Idaho last week and ran across a colony way back in the middle of know where. Pretty good photo she took. I didn't realize she was taking pics, LOL.

Welcome to the MPR club!

Damn, 6 oz's, that almost sounds like heaven. I am looking at one of the mpr's also or maybe one of the 54 actions of the 1710. Don't know yet. When I talk to people about them, I hear that the lock times are better on the 54 but that the practical accuracy diff between the 54 and 64 might be hard to find. Also, the cost of the 54 is quite a bit more than the 64 action and don't know if I want to spend a ton more if I am not going to see any diff in group size. Either way, you look awful happy there after that shot. Keep on hitten em. Please try to post some picks of groups if you can. Thanks

The trigger feels great, but as I said, it takes some getting used to. I may actually raise it a bit after some use. I settled on the MPR because I liked the fit and design of the stock, as well as the longer, heavier barrel no this model. I have not shot a 54 actioned rifle, and I probably shouldn't. I'm not sure I could justify the cost difference between the two. The triggers in particular on the 54's are supposed to be a shining trait, but this one feels just as good as a friend's higher end Fortner actioned rifle. Overall I couldn't be please with the performance for the money with this rifle. I paid a few hundred more for it than I did for my 452 Varmint Thumbhole, and it's far easier to shoot it well. It'll be a gun I hold on to for a long time.

Have you received your DIP rail yet? I only ask because I picked up a like new 64 MPR in March. I had a rail from DIP on backorder and it finally shipped on April 10th. When it arrived, it was out of spec and would only slide onto the dovetail about 1/2". I called them and they told me that I was the first person to notice this, but they had just learned that the machine shop they use to make these, didn't use the go /no go gage and they were going to have to replace all of the rails that had been sold. They told me it would be about 2 - 3 weeks and I would have my replacement. It still hasn't arrived and when I call, I get a voice mail. When I have emailed them, they tell me it should be here in 3 - 4 weeks!

Rail out of spec from dip? You are not the first person to notice. This has been very common for at leasttwo years. My gunsmith has fixed at least two for mpr and at least one for a cz. No big deal but is rather inconvenient.

Ya the MPR & the 64 action is pretty nice. the 2-stage fully-Adj. trigger group is 'real NICE ' it is sharp & crisp . Never had a 54 action & there Comp. High-grade trigger-group before, but people say that it is even better . I cant imagine ? but I has to be pretty badass if it is even better than the 2-stage fully adj. in the 64 .
Same here on the Stock on the MPR . It is pretty nice for a Birch wood & dinging it up is going to happen .

Bad part is the barrel & It was Long . I wanted to cut & shorten it but did Not . I like a short barrel for Rimfire & hunting but Anz. puts a little time into there blanks & usually runs a gauged Choked-End out on the muzzle end . So I did not gamble on cutting the long barrel shorter length & risk possible opening-up on the groups.

Ya the MPR & the 64 action is pretty nice. the 2-stage fully-Adj. trigger group is 'real NICE ' it is sharp & crisp . Never had a 54 action & there Comp. High-grade trigger-group before, but people say that it is even better . I cant imagine ? but I has to be pretty badass if it is even better than the 2-stage fully adj. in the 64 .
Same here on the Stock on the MPR . It is pretty nice for a Birch wood & dinging it up is going to happen .

Bad part is the barrel & It was Long . I wanted to cut & shorten it but did Not . I like a short barrel for Rimfire & hunting but Anz. puts a little time into there blanks & usually runs a gauged Choked-End out on the muzzle end . So I did not gamble on cutting the long barrel shorter length & risk possible opening-up on the groups.

Is this the main reason why people do not like to cut down anni barrels? I want one bad but want to cut the barrel for a suppressor and have read that people do not like to cut them down. They do make a 14in barrel overseas but it is not imported. I guess I would be hesitant to cut the barrel also if I thought that it would hurt the accuracy. That appears to be a huge reason to pay more for one of these then another 22 maker. How much better could the 54 be over the 64 accuracy wise? Or is it not an accuracy thing but the action is better on the 54? I know the 54 is quite a few dollars more than the 64. I only want to buy once, cry once but if there is not a marked diff in between the two, I would might have to opt for the 64 also.

Thats what I always been told is that they always have chocked Muz. Bore .
BUT ( I did cut one down ) Shorten & thread 1/2-28 on my brothers Anz. and it still shot good . Now I cant say personally if it was a one-hole shooter @ 25 yrd. from the start as it was not mine but it still was a varmint killing machine after the cutting & threading . .

I would not spend the money on a high-dollar 54 unless I was seriously shooting match . The MPR in the 64 is about as quality a workhorse with a shithot trigger for Rimfire varmint killer & plinker as your going to need .
Only thing is the Anz. 5-Round Mags are a little spendy . ( i have not done ) but I heard you can modify Savage 10-round Mags. that will work well for higher capacity magazines .

Personally I like the longer barrel, it's a redeeming factor for me. No supressors in MN currently, not holding my breath. I like the longer sight radius for the aperture sights. I will have a set of those for his gun.

I ordered up two of the five round Savage mags from Brownells, they work perfectly. I'll be ordering a few more just to have for that price. Steel follower, and they feed well.

I have not gotten the DIP rail yet. I canceled the order I had because I found a retailer that listed them in stock. I never got around to placing that second order due to time constraints. I have to get that coming, along with some goodies from Triad that will finish this off nicely. It's a process of course. I will probably order the rail in combo with a scope/ring upgrade.

We're expecting our first child soon, so I imagine my shooting will be much more limited for the next 9 months at least. I'll likely wait until then. I know about the tight fit, and plan to have it fit to the gun by my smith.

Damn, 6 oz's, that almost sounds like heaven. I am looking at one of the mpr's also or maybe one of the 54 actions of the 1710. Don't know yet. When I talk to people about them, I hear that the lock times are better on the 54 but that the practical accuracy diff between the 54 and 64 might be hard to find. Also, the cost of the 54 is quite a bit more than the 64 action and don't know if I want to spend a ton more if I am not going to see any diff in group size. Either way, you look awful happy there after that shot. Keep on hitten em. Please try to post some picks of groups if you can. Thanks

I cut my teeth on Anschutz free rifles long ago while competing in three position small bore. Kinda forgot about .22s until I got serious about precision center fire. Picked up an MPR to use as a practice rifle. Frankly I doubt you'd see any difference between it and the 54 actions unless you're planning on the Olympics

You asked for groups: here's a couple 50 yard groups off bipod/rear bag, prone. Done with Lapua match. This rifle really forces you to pay attention to fundamentals which is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Great shooting! I've got a 1903 that gets me back to basics and is truly an incredible piece of equipment. I'd love to grab something with a magazine so I don't have to reload after every shot, but I guess that's part of the fun too!

Gotta love the MPR. I have a stainless barreled version. It likes Wolf match target, fed 710 and fed 510b. The wolf is the best but the others aren't bad for the price. I'm to lazy to post the pic but yesterday it removed a fly from my target @ 50. The trigger is something to behold.

R

So you guys would say the 64 is worth it then? I know the 54 is the bees knees, but I just don't have the scratch for one. I've heard some of the diehard rf comp guys say the 64 isn't worth it. Would I likely see a big difference over my cz 452 varmint?

Thanks

Out of the box there is a huge difference against my CZ Varmint. For me it's worth it. I like both, and will be keeping both. I'm finding I prefer shooting the MPR. It just feels better all around, especially the trigger.