• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz rifle owners

tansinator

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2007
Signal Mountain, TN
Do all the Anschutz's shoot great? I have an Anschutz 54. Just wondering if the 64's shoot just as good and if the triggers are the same.

Re: Anschutz rifle owners

No, no, and no.
smile.gif

Yes, Yes, and Yes (my 1712 has the same trigger as my 64 MS-R)

I have a 64 MS-R that outshoots 1 of my 54 MS-R's

It all depends on what 54 action model you have (single shot vs. repeater, wing safety, etc.)

My 64 MSR shoots Wolf ME in the .1's and .2's at 50 yards off a bipod, a real BR shooter w/ good bags could do better. I don't see how a rifle could possibly shoot any better.

It will shoot $1.59 a box Federals into the .3's (5 shots) I have shot 10 shot groups in the low .5's

There are 2 basic triggers on the newer 64's, a single stage adjustable from 2-4.5 lbs and a 2 stage that is set around 8-10 ounces.

I don't believe the triggers are swappable with the 54's, but I may be wrong.

HTH,
Brad

Depends on the model, but in general I would say..

No. Cheapest versions are not always impressive

Good. I've never heard of a bad 54

Splitting hairs but I would expect a 54 to edge out a 64. (assuming similar configurations)

The old 64s I've shot (Savage/Anschutz match 64 era)did not have the same trigger or accuracy as the 1913 and 2013 that I am shooting now. I haven't played with current 64s.

My first rifle ever was a Savage/Anschutz 141 .22LR sporter single shot. Learned to shoot it at the Newark NJ Boys Club range as part of Police Athletic League marksmanship program. I was 14 yrs old at the time, considered by my two elder brothers to be 'old enough for his own rifle', so Bob bought me the aforeseaid rifle at the Ft. McLellan PX. Bob is my next elder brother, ten years older than myself. He says he still has a few good years left in him, currently 72. Bob taught me how to shoot, Bill taught me how to reload.

Didn't know diddly about ammo, and even less about shooting. At 50ft, it shot. Well enough to become an NRA Rimfire Expert at the age of 16. Cut my teeth on that rifle, and it disappeared into the family tree a few years later when I went into The Corps.

Wish I had it now. Had the most neato split-chamber/rimfire extractor I ever saw. Mounted a Redfield micrometer peep with woodcrews into the stock, and it worked.

Greg

Oddly enough, I have just reacquired my own original Savage Anschutz 141.

It is in horridly atrocious condition, having been involved in a fire.

The stock is gone, literally, the entire barreled action is spattered with serious rust, and a peek down the bore looks like it's got red grass growing out of the lands and grooves. Moreover, the extractor thingy is also gone.

This will be a challenge of the first water.

First things first, I'd need to get another extractor thingy.

Despite the genuinely daunting appearance, I've discovered that 'zombie' rifles can be brought back to some pretty good shooting conditions. OTOH, there's so much deterioration that there's little to be lost by swinging for the fences.

We shall soon see what we shall soon see...

Is that the Grail I see looming upon the horizon...?

Greg

Well Numrich has a checkered stock for $104 plus $1 shipping.

Greg, cool find, I know when I found my Grandpa's old 30-30, (that I shot my first deer with when I was 8) I was ecstatic. Good luck on the restoration. I, too, have seen some rough old guns shoot unbelievably well.

Gunsmithing, Inc. should have your extractor thingy (shellholder or shell retainer, depending on who you talk to).

Check all your springs if it has been hot.

Good luck and get us some before and after pics when you are done!

HB

the trigger for the 64 can be made single or 2 stage with the addition of a new cam. I was making cams that would reduce a 64 or 1710 rifles trigger right at 2-3 ounces. Real easy to do once you see how they are designed.

As for the swap ability. Well as mentioend the 64's and 1700 series hunting rifles use the same type of trigger.

I think saying that the triggers are swappable is an overgeneralization.......some are, some aren't.
Looking at my 64MSR and my 1712 I don't see how they could be.

54's have a heavier action and faster locktime. The barrels and chambers are the same good Annie stuff on both lines. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't shoot (that doesn't mean that rifle ro rifle they are all going to like the same ammo). The drawback to the 64 action is that the sear is the bolt release/catch, and can get buggered if you run the bolt like a Remington 700. Many of the used 64 Match rifle out there were club rifles and from junior programs and can be beat to hell.

Shoot different ammo at 100m if you can catch a good day windage-wise. This will really tell you which ammo is better, some that shoot really well at 50yds fall apart by 111.

a trigger from a 64 can be used on a 1710, 1720 etc. The difference lies in the bolt release that is found on the 64 action that is missing on the 1700 series. As well as the safety on the 64 action which is missing on the 1700 series.

However they can be swapped. Have about 3 triggers sitting at the house that I have swapped for unmodified triggers from folks. I do my work on them and just swap out the whole trigger. It is doable and not difficult.

I truth, I was not the purchaser of the rifle (being a teenager and relatively unschooled in firearms), and don't know exactly what model I own.

The trigger is very simple, a long straight trigger lever, a rectangular metal block vertical sliding sear, a flat leaf spring along the bottom of the action with a screw securing it to the action at its forward end. A fairly typical bolt, the sliding cartridge rest/extractor thingie, and a single sock screw out the bottom of the front end of the tubular receiver. Configured for RH operation. Tapered sporter weight barrel is pinned with a horizontal pin through the bottom of the receiver.

Single shot, very plain style unadorned stock (as memory serves), a leaf notch rear sight with a sliding adjuster and 5 holes for adjustment stops, and a dovetailed, unhooded blade/bead front sight. Sliding knurled sheetmetal safety at right rear of receiver, retained with a thin plate and two screws fore an aft. Blued action/barrel, polished in-the-white bolt.

Anschutz crest atop receiver ring, top and side of barrel marked with maker and caliber info, no reference to Savage or model number visible. Left side in caps "MADE IN WEST GERMANY", and "Cal 22 Long Rifle", top "J.G. Anschutz Gmbh Waffenfabrik Ulm/D. Germany", and Serialized 278XXX on left front side of receiver.

Right now, rust is splattered everywhere, the bore is growing whiskers, stock and extractor are missing. Close examination shows no other legible markings, rust is bad enough something might have been missed.

Intent is to restore rifle to original configuration, clean it up, and use it as a shooter. Collectability is not a key issue.

Greg

I was sorta hoping somebody with more knowledge and experience about Anshutz products could give me a little advice about which model I actually have.

Greg

Greg, might shoot Anschutz an e-mail with the ser.# and a pic. Also Rimfire Central has some older members who might help, they are sometimes very slow to reply, though.

Gunsmithing, Inc. and some other guy in Florida (search RF central in the Anschutz forum) are the go-to guys for parts and service, might call them.

HB

Greg, two minutes in RFC's Anschutz forum got me this much:
DSCN2813.JPG

DSCN2815.JPG

Is this what your trigger looks like?

Wealth of info over there......

My 1907 54 Match rifle outshoots my 64's. However, my 64's outshoot pretty near every other .22 I have.

Even the Anshutz Achiever shoots great (but not as great as the 54's).

I HAVE A COUPLE OF 64'S THAT SHOOT JUST AS GOOD AS ALL MY 54'S, ALL MY ANNIES WILL OUTSHOOT ME, MY 64 ACTION 1502 WILL SHOOT 10 COVERED BY A DIME AT 50 YDS ALL DAY LONG, ITS ME THAT GETS EXCITED OCCASIONALY AND RUINS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME GROUP. IF IM HAVING A GREAT DAY, ITS ONE HOLES ALL AROUND. EXEPT MY ANNIE 164 ALL MY TRIGGERS ARE THE SAME AND THIS OLD PRE DATE 50'S GUN WILL GROUP ONE HOLE CONSISTANTLY.

PS AND THE PIC ABOVE IS THE 164/141/EARLY 1415/1416 TRIGGER, AND THEY ARE A B..CH TO ADJUST PERFECTLY, IF OFF JUST A LITTLE, IT WILL LET THE PIN GO OCCASSIONALLY ON CYCLING, IF TOO OVER TIGHT ON THE SEAR YOULL GET LOTS OF CREEP, IF TRAVEL ISNT SET RIGHT THE BOLT WILL FIGHT WITH YOU TRYING TO TAKE IT OUT, ETC ETC ETC, TAKE A 5.5MM MID OR DEEP SOCKET, A SMALL SCREWDRIVER, AND A BIG SCREWDRIVER TO THE RANGE. EVEN WHEN YOU THINK ITS SET JUST RIGHT ON THE BENCH, IT CHANGES AFTER A FEW MAGS, BUT ONCE I GOT IT SET RIGHT, ITS GLASS. HOPE THIS HELPS RICH

I have shot the 54 and 64 side by side same ammo. very close but my mind said the 54 shot better
just 2 cents worth
Bill

I couldn't find much on how to contact Anschutz, so I'll try reposting the description here But first, after simply cleaning the bore, it came out bright as a mirror. I'm flatly amazed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger is very simple, a long straight trigger lever, a rectangular metal block vertical sliding sear, a flat leaf spring along the bottom of the action with a screw securing it to the action at its forward end. A fairly typical bolt, the sliding cartridge rest/extractor thingie, and a single sock screw out the bottom of the front end of the tubular receiver. Configured for RH operation. Tapered sporter weight barrel is pinned with a horizontal pin through the bottom of the receiver.

Single shot, very plain style unadorned stock (as memory serves), a leaf notch rear sight with a sliding adjuster and 5 holes for adjustment stops, and a dovetailed, unhooded blade/bead front sight. Sliding knurled sheetmetal safety at right rear of receiver, retained with a thin plate and two screws fore an aft. Blued action/barrel, polished in-the-white bolt.

Anschutz crest atop receiver ring, top and side of barrel marked with maker and caliber info, no reference to Savage or model number visible. Left side in caps "MADE IN WEST GERMANY", and "Cal 22 Long Rifle", top "J.G. Anschutz Gmbh Waffenfabrik Ulm/D. Germany", and Serialized 278XXX on left front side of receiver.

Right now, rust is splattered everywhere, the bore is growing whiskers, stock and extractor are missing. Close examination shows no other legible markings, rust is bad enough something might have been missed.
</div></div>

Greg

Well; I managed to pos this on 24 hour Campfire, and to send it as an EMail to Ansuchtz, Gmbh.

Will post as results accumulate.

Greg

maybe, no, no would be my answers. Just because it says Anschutz on it doesn't mean it is going to shoot great.

Agreed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes no no. </div></div>