• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes answering question about Steyr SSG and USO

cybersniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
Spain
www.cybersniper.com
I have received some questions about my Steyr SSG69 PII prototype and about my picatinny mount and USO SN3

The rifle was modified by me to try to solve the few ergonomic problems that the old SSG69 has, and find out if a new SSG69-A1 model was viable. I wanted to convince Oliver Bauer from Steyr that the SSG69 , with some little mods, can still be better than most actual top sniper rifles. This is the rifle i would take to war now, no bells and wisles just pure simplicity lightness and performance.

The rifle stock is modified heavily and reinforced, and the bipod stud moved up till it barely touches the barrel, the magazine well and action screws slots are reinforced and the action in equipped with a USO picatinny. Not much mods to have a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA with boxed ammo all day long and weighting 6,9 kg with bipod and scope.

The scope is a SN3 3,2-17x44 and has performed flawlessly on this rifle being tested thoughtfully by most of the Spanish Army sniper instructors and Barrett snipers. The general comment is that they would trade their AW with S&B PMII right away. Does the same with two kilos less and feels better.

There is only one problem: the availability of 10 round magazines is problematic and their performance is marginal. No problems for me so far , but my maintenance is extensive and my care obsessive.

The story end is that Steyr ended up devoting their assets to their new SSG08 which is the best sniper rifle ever.... my prototype will remain just that....

I hope you like it. I have some more pics if you want them.

eduardo

DSCN1997small.jpg

at the FINNSNIPER competition

the rifle and scope performed flawlessly and not even the beach sand posed a problem to the reliability of the SSG.
many rifles had malfunctions not my SSG and Alvaro´s Blaser. Luck.... dont think so.

the stock is fully adjustable by using and Anschutz cheekpiece inletted into the composite SSG stock.

DSCN1996small.jpg

last moment tables and DIY BDC

the weather in Lohtaja was very humid and hot and the sea level condition made some adjustments to my ballistics neccessary.
the problem was that in 08 there where many short timed and high stress stages....there was no time to estimate with MILDOT ( no electronics allowed) take tables out, look at tables or make a lot of adjustments. Shooting a 308 I was also a little undergunned for this competition and it added some more complexity, specially on wind corrections.
SO
I improvise a rifle attached table and BDC and trust our zero and our SN3 adjustments (both of us use USO SN3) to allow us quick corrections and quick kills. It worked.... we screwed other things.. but when we saw them they where down.
One of the screwups was the shiny plastic cover on the tables... you use what you have...
Ed
DSCN2018small.jpg

pic while on the navigation stage on the finnish forest

Re: last moment tables and DIY BDC

Hello Ed,

Nice to spot you here!

Remeber the finnish guy who had also green SSG69 with Nightfore on top of it? After the comp we did some BBQ at Jarno's place?

Two questions
1. How is the USO Picatinnyrail locked/secured to the action?
2. Are you visiting IWA2009? Drop me a PM if you are and we will hook up.

Br,
MSa

Re: last moment tables and DIY BDC

Hi there,
Yes I have some pictures of your rifle, with the gold trigger !!!!
I wont be at IWA as i am in Norway now.

My Picatinny was locked in place with glue and four Allen M4 screws. I drilled and tapped the receiver.

Do you want some pics?
No problem, when i get home by the end of the month I will post them.
Un abrazo my friend
eDU