• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber.

Re: Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber.

scan0019.jpg

Wyomings Red Desert produced this Antelope buck.
Taken with a Sako .243 and a 100 grain partition.
Shot was about 150 yards. September 1985... bet it would still work now!!! grin.

Should be fine. It won't have the punch of a heavier caliber or bullet but if you are careful on shot placement, you should have no problems. We use the Barnes 85gr TSX in our 243 with great results on these animals.

scan0022.jpg

A mature Mule Deer buck taken with the same rifle and load a bit to the north in Montana. Shot was less than 100 yards.

A .243 with the right load will kill any deer or antelope you encounter with the correct shot placement.

While it would not be even in my top 10 for mulies, It will do with correct shot placement if you wait and pick your shot.

The 243 is a wonderful little cartridge. Like said above, with the correct bullet and shot placement it will do the trick. I have taken a few whitetails with a 243 and they can be a bit larger than antelopes. The only cartridge I have ever used for antelopes is the old 30-06 and a 25-06.

The often overlooked .243 is indeed in the running for the game you describe. I took this doe at 260 yds with an 87 VMAX @ 3175 fps.
100_0740.jpg

100_0743.jpg

Hopefully with this years harvest, I will be able to take a couple with the Berger 105 VLD. I have a 21 year old niece who has been using the .243 since she was 12. She uses over the counter 100 gr softpoints I believe. She has shot an elk or mulie or both every year since. With proper placement, it is no big deal. She realizes it is not some uber mag on chooses her shots carefully. She is not and you would not be undergunned. It's a fine choice.

A close cousin, my go to antelope medicine is a .243AI in a little Sako. Killed a few Oregon mulies with it too.

Take your .243 to Wyoming and be confident in it. The disclaimer here is that you do your part and put the bullet where it'll do the most good.
smile.gif

Hey HIGHGROUND! Yes a.243 will do the job fine especially as the shooter tends to hold for a best shot because of less felt recoil. I must encourage you to be sure to use a range finder as distances in the open prairie can be more than difficult for visitors (flat landers) here. Also the coloration of speedgoats lends to more distance estimation error. On a poorly placed shot prongers can carry ALOT of lead before dying. Many other tricks of hunting pronghorn are available from me if you want them. Also for before and after the kill. What area are you hunting and are you hunting with a guide?

A .243 for mulies can do well but remember that they are bigger and tougher critters so proper shot placement is crucial with a well performing bullet. I have found Hornady Light Mags to perform excellent if your not a reloader.

57...4 of us took 4 bucks that went 79" to 82" that year.Great place to hunt Antelope. Lots of B&C bucks have been taken out of Sweetwater county, Wyoming over the years.

PGS...Never hunted 57 or for that part South of I-80. May need to expand my Horizons. Heh heh! Pronghorn hunting is a kick and I use a Ruger No.1 in .25-06 Rem. Plants them well with 117gr. Hornady SPBT. My longest is 660 yards on a challenge. One shot dead before it ever heard the BOOM! Nice to have a gun that can do that long shot so when you get that Big buck that keeps 500-600 yards off you can plant them. But while I can do it the most fun is getting out there and doing good stalks to under 300yds. One season in 89 I did 7 stalks to under 200 just to say "no shot" cuz of no Ivory tips on horns. Your goat looks great and very nice Ivory on it!

scan0002.jpg

Heres a little "ivory"...about an inch on both sides. 16 5/8".
Fall of 2008 in Montana. Taken with a .338LM at 880 meters.

Thanks! Really enjoy hunting pronghorns....really good eating too!

No flies on a .243 for these type pursuits ... here is a typical result from mine, tossing moly coated 85g TSX's at a MV of near 3400fps ...

2349503TreysAntelopeBuck.jpg

that buck was over 400 yards from me when I pulled the trigger ... didn't go but about straight down upon impact ... and there was (obviously) no playing "where's Waldo" with the entry or exit wound ... (grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0002.jpg

Fall of 2008 in Montana. Taken with a .338LM at 880 meters. </div></div>

Thats a real nice goat there fella! Would really like to get one that big some day.

PGS, very nice speed goat. I don't see any blood though, that big canon couldn't
have scared him to death at that range though! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0002.jpg

Fall of 2008 in Montana. Taken with a .338LM at 880 meters. </div></div>

Thats a real nice goat there fella! Would really like to get one that big some day. </div></div>

Sweet Jesus that's a fine goat...

Did that book you in MT? I'd imagine your name is in some book...

Looking at that goat is alredy getting me excited for this coming season:)

I've been fortunate to glass and guide for a lot of fine goats.

That one is well near the top of any I have seen.

I jus' wonder how long he was hidin' it's living room from everyone. ;-)

I've been fortunate to glass and guide for a lot of fine goats.

That one is well near the top of any I have seen.

I jus' wonder how long PGS was hidin' it's living room from everyone. ;-)

IMG_0275.jpg

Heres a pretty buck one of my Iowa hunters shot 2 years ago.

He used a .240 Weatherby and a 90 gr. Berger.

Old smart buck that we hunted for 3 days before we got him.

Boy you getting me excited and it is a long wait for october

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bigwheeler..trust me you dont want to see the other side!!
</div></div>

I thought that might be the case
smile.gif
kinda waiting for one of those guys to chime in on how hard antelope are to kill...etc.

I'll tell ya PGS, those goats are as fine as the private property/ranches and stuff in NM and CO where they tend to grow em big.

A guy like me just might beg to get permission to DIY in your neck of the woods.
or... is it better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission ;-)

Not sure what it is about hunting goats, but I have fondness for it.

They sure grow on you. Its a pretty relaxing hunt...a good one to share with family and friends. The weather is almost always nice that time of year...gotta love those Indian summer days in October.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They sure grow on you. Its a pretty relaxing hunt...a good one to share with family and friends. The weather is almost always nice that time of year...gotta love those Indian summer days in October. </div></div>

Ha! Went that way till last year, We got buried in 2ft of snow and a complete white
out last year by Stanford. Of coarse it did turn around a few days after that. the meat is as good as it gets too.

IMG_0243.jpg

scan0053.jpg

We were out in it also...this is one of my Iowa guys with his "snow" buck.

Weda, Maybe you should come for the "long shot hunt"

Those Iowa boys are talking a lot of smack.

scan0008-1.jpg

Heres one more. this one just made 16". Not very heavy but long.