• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anteople buck down.

ColoWyo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Elizabeth, Colorado
I had one day to get out and chase antelope this year. It was the last day of the season. We got out to my buddies ranch around 8:00 and I had this one on the ground by 9:00. I passed on a smaller buck which I was afraid I was going to regret. I usually try to live by the saying, don't pass on anything on the first day you would regret on the last one. But I usually don't have the strength to actually stick with it.

After a little following them around. We were able to get in front of them on the back side of a hill we saw them heading towards. I was able to grab my shooting mat (lots of cactus) and lay down and get in a nice prone position. I handed my buddy my Bushnell 1600's and asked him to range him for me.

610 he says, 600, 590 and he stops and turns perfectly broad side to me. BOOM (or more like SWISH with the can) and the buck picked his front legs off the ground a few inches and flops over DRT.

The 142 SMK out of my .260 went right through the rear of his shoulder blade and took half is heart out. There were chucks of his shoulder blade laying on the ground underneath him. I would say the SMK did a great job on the thin skinned pronghorn. But that dead horse has been flogged enough.

antelope1-2012-L.jpg

You can just make him out to the right and back from the bush in the middle of the picture.

antelope-2012-006-L.jpg

Re: Anteople buck down.

Thanks guys. I Appreciate it. I can't think of a better way to spend a day. Hanging out with good friends and doing a little hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gknutson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking buck. How tall? Any guess on score? </div></div>

Honestly gknustson, he wasn't very big. So we didn't even bother. My buddy who ranged him and took the picture is a wizard with a camera. That picture is pretty generous.

Good shooting Brian! Looks like a hell of a good time. Not bad for a days hunt!