• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anti-Cant level recommendations for those of us with aging eyes?

bogeybrown

0369/8531
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
AL
The last time I shot LR and was a few years ago before my near-vision deteriorated with age. I just finished setting up a new rifle and was going to throw an Accuracy 1st level on it, which has long been my preference, but realized that it's position on my scope is too close for me to see anymore.

I'm guessing that without being able to focus on it, even with my normal reading glasses, my next option would be a rail-mounted level? I'm considering something similar to the Wheeler, which folds away and has the pointer to help me verify center on the bubble, but would appreciate some other suggestions if I've missed a new gizmo in the past few years.

This aging stuff sucks.

I've been using a bubble level mounted as far forward on the scope tube. It's still not in crisp focus but I can tell when the bubble is between the lines.

The last time I shot LR and was a few years ago before my near-vision deteriorated with age. I just finished setting up a new rifle and was going to throw an Accuracy 1st level on it, which has long been my preference, but realized that it's position on my scope is too close for me to see anymore.

I'm guessing that without being able to focus on it, even with my normal reading glasses, my next option would be a rail-mounted level? I'm considering something similar to the Wheeler, which folds away and has the pointer to help me verify center on the bubble, but would appreciate some other suggestions if I've missed a new gizmo in the past few years.

This aging stuff sucks.
Unless you are shooting extra long range, a bubble level just isn’t necessary. It just adds yet another level of complexity albeit a small one. Some people like to pay a minimum of $45 up to several hundred for an air bubble in some water though. Seems like you may be one of them. Lol

I do know many won’t agree with me on this subject though. I would bet if they would take off the level or at least cover it up while they shoot so they can’t look at it, they would never see any difference in their shooting.

@Tyler Kemp has a rail mounted bubble level w/ center dot.

Years, an years ago at jhuskey's short range (800 max) I did a little testing to see the effects of cant after a thread on here. .308, 10x scope, 22" barrel. With the mark one eye ball, an my side kick as a wit I shot two 5 shot groups at 600yds both were centered an one group was just under .5 moa the other slightly better. I then unlocked the harris bipod an canted it all the way to the left an shot two more groups. Both groups were 1/2moa to the left of the aiming point with group sizes the same. I then canted the rifle all the way to the right, the groups moved 1/2 moa to the right of the aiming point with group sizes the same. The scope was mounted with a plum bob like all my others. To me it matters little if the rifle is canted when your mounting the scope as many people shoot with their weapon canted, but the erector has to jive with the crosshair/vertical lines. If you draw a plum line on cardboard that is 60" tall an place the aiming point at the very bottom (an shoot a group to verify centered placement) then start adding up in 5 moa increments an shooting 3 shot groups. If the scope is correct it should track straight up the line. If it/you can do that, with your Mk 1 eye ball where is the need for a anti cant device? Your eye will level the vertical line in the scope if you allow it to. Anti-cant devices are just another method to seperate a shooter from his money,....but they look an project tacticool,...

Thanks for the suggestions gents. @Floglock , The MK looks like just what I was wanting at a reasonable price and it hadn't come up on any of my own searches.

I am very familiar with the long-running discussions on anti-can't devices. All I can say is that from my own experience in the past shooting out to around 1100 or so, I have seen through my scope (which was leveled on a plumb line) how my point of aim shifted if I had some inadvertent cant. Without the level I'd have assumed it was the wind, or some other factor like drift.

I'm limited to 1000yds on the range I just joined, so in the absence of longer distance, my goal is to work on higher first-round hits on progressively smaller targets. They also shoot a lot of F-Class and Benchrest, which I may participate in, but I'm not buying all the rests and BS that goes with those disciplines, so the level is my poor man's approach.

Another option is to get the level inside the scope. USO offered this and the new Sig and Leopold scopes have can't indicators inside the scope.

If you still have trouble focusing on the level after trying a few different positions, you could try a Send It level. It lights up red when canted or green when level, so I would imagine even while a little bit out of focus you could probably still use it.

Thanks for the shoutout! I think you'll find my level to be robust, perfectly visible, and affordable. The Send It level is nice, and can be so insanely sensitive you'll wanna have a seizure if you turn it up that high. Personally I would never spend near what they cost for a light show.

I've been using a bubble level mounted as far forward on the scope tube. It's still not in crisp focus but I can tell when the bubble is between the lines.
^^^This^^^

My corrected vision put focus on close objects at 20". The bubble on the scope is doable, and requires very little eye strain/effort to transition from optic to level/dope card. I can stay on target and not come off the rifle between shots/targets.

For myself. I acquired one of the gen1 vortex levels from another hide member in trade for my gen2 level. I like the gen1 a lot more. I wear strong contact lenses and while I could still see the smaller gen 2 level. The gen 1 is so much better for me and easier to mount as well. Doesn’t move as soon as you tighten like the gen2. I Mounted mine as far forward in front of the turret housing in between ring and objective. Perfect visually

Last edited:

This aging stuff sucks.
aging may have its down falls but the alternative is a hell of a lot worse . I'll take needing glasses and aches and pains happily over a 8 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide plot 6 feet under ground any day .

If you still have trouble focusing on the level after trying a few different positions, you could try a Send It level. It lights up red when canted or green when level, so I would imagine even while a little bit out of focus you could probably still use it.
That's what I use--I'm north of 60 years and have double astigmatism so it's easy for people who aren't afflicted to take for granted how your eyes can fool you with a "false cant." It's a little bit of extra fussing--but well worth the investment IMO. Bubble levels alone I would never rely on unless they are very high quality, that's my conclusion after investing in and disposing of a large collection of them. With my send-it, I have set on the highest sensitivity setting--so it takes a bit longer to get a stable sight picture. My opinion is that people who don't use levels and claim little variation in accuracy from those that do--it's not so much that cant does not make a difference as it is they are good at repeating the same scope position consecutively. Even at just 100 yds--when I shift the cant ever so slightly so the send-it is flashing green (which they say is OK) it's readily apparent that the POA has shifted an MOA or more through my scope.

@bogeybrown - Thanks for the heads up on the spammer, but next time be sure to report the SPAM post and not your own. ;)

Hahahaha, thanks brother. That was my first attempt at reporting a post since a scam listing in the PX back on Scout, so hopefully there won't be a next time.