• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Antique 541 S misfires

gr8guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
I have a 541 S that misfires badly. I have done a little sleuthing and find that is a problem with some early rifles.
my area does not have any smiths that work on that old model. I eould love to get that old rifle going. I have three, and the other two work very well. Guys and gals, if you know a good smith that works on the old 541S rifles, I would appreciate it.

I have a 541 S that misfires badly. I have done a little sleuthing and find that is a problem with some early rifles.
My area does not have any smiths that work on that old model. I would love to get that old rifle going. I have three, and the other two work very well. Guys and gals, if you know a good smith that works on the old 541S rifles, I would appreciate it.

I have an old 541T that works great, I don't what the hell you're talking about.

Mike
Misfire. Pulling the trigger on a loaded chamber , hearing a click and the round doesn’t go off. That’s what I’m talking about. I have two other 541 S rifles that work great A 541 T ain’t no 541 S.

Last edited:
Is your bolt clean?
Yes sir, it is clean. I tried a new firing pin spring. Still misfires. The end with the striker spring I don’t know about. I cleaned at it with some brake cleaner spray. The firing pin end is clean. I’m going to take it all apart.

Last edited:
Check your indention in the unfired vs fired case , I think I just read the last week or so about the slot the firing pin rides in developing some vertical slop

tried your other guns' bolts to see if you can use one of those?
I don’t know what could be gained. The firing pin is not hitting the cartridge rim when it misfires. The trigger releases, but the firing pin is not hitting correctly. Since the bolts have to be fitted, and the barrels are pinned in, is there a chance of causing damage ?

There is a high likelihood of the bolt swap being within tolerances and it will tell you what is wrong if it works. It is likely that something is preventing your firing pin from protruding enough. Your pin might be too short as well.

Misfire. Pulling the trigger on a loaded chamber , hearing a click and the round doesn’t go off. That’s what I’m talking about. I have two other 541 S rifles that work great A 541 T ain’t no 541 S.
Right one is a T and one is a S, same action. The firing pin may be broken (dry fire maybe), I think the firing pin makes contact with the barrel.

Mike

The FP should not make contact with the barrel but should end its forward travel just short of contacting the barrel.

The FP should not make contact with the barrel but should end its forward travel just short of contacting the barrel.
Unfortunately, the 541 S is not designed with the firing pin stopping before hitting the end of the barrel. Many later model rim-fires do have that feature.

Last edited:
Right one is a T and one is a S, same action. The firing pin may be broken (dry fire maybe), I think the firing pin makes contact with the barrel.

Mike
I changed out the firing pin today, along with the extractors and the spring clip. I’m still getting the misfires. My next strategic move is to try to disassemble the complete bolt and clean of all lubricants and dirt of any kind. Then, some fresh lube, reassemble, and test again. The striker end may be fouled. I’m a wee bit leery of taking that end apart. But, the rifle is not going to fix itself. If there is a way to clean out the bolt without taking it apart, I would try that first. What would work best ?

Mike
o

Reactions: ZG47A
The action is alike, but there are differences that make the S model usually a little more accurate.

I usually blow it out with brake clean then I have some small bottles (1/2-1 oz ) I put a little synthetic oil in , just enough to cover the bottom , and fill with lighter fluid , shake , and flush the bolt out again with this mixture , it evaporates but still leaves a thin oil protectant , lots of people use straight lighter fluid but I live close to the coast and rust is always in the back of your mind

Well, as long as I manually put the rounds into the chamber, it goes bang. If I try to use the magazine, it goes click the first time, but if I re-cock the bolt without feeding a round in, then it goes bang. Trying to feed a round in from the magazine is not easy like my working 541S. I’m thinking there is something about the extractors not letting the cartridge slide into position as it should be. I got a bolt yesterday from a gentleman on this board, so , I am going to try that bolt in my rifle tomorrow. I’ve contacted Brian Voelker, and he is a very gracious and helpful man. I have to get some of my measuring tools out of my old mechanic tool box, and try to tune this thing in. With the bolt closed, a feeler gauge measuring clear of the extractors should have less than two thousandths clearance. we getting there, I hope. If the new bolt does not fit my rifle with the correct clearance, then the extractors and firing pin are probably shaped correctly, so I will take those parts and put them into my bolt. Brian Voelker said new parts have to be shaped and de-burred for the 541S to function properly. The firing pin and the extractors clearance and shape has to be adjusted. I really don’t know how to thank pabrousseau for helping me to get this old rifle going! I’ll have to pay attention to this board and pay something forward to help . Great people on this board ! I also strongly recommend Brian Voelker………he will take time to talk to you, and help solve problems over the phone. He does not rush his conversations .