• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anvil-30 and adapter plates

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Getting into Tripods

As I understand it (feel free to correct me) Anvil 30 is the way to go.

However you can use a RRS tripod or a 2 Vets Tripod. RRS is lighter--2 Vets has a better price.

What I don't understand is the adapter plates. The Anvil-30 ARC has no adapter looking at it as a stand alone. I'm not understanding if I get a SOAR tripod "kit" (like a 24L) if the Anvil-30 just works or it has this adapter mount like one of these:
https://rrssoar.com/ta-2-apf/ <---- what is this part and what does it do.

I see that 2 Vets also has an adapter plate or bowl for the Anvil-30:

I'm a bit lost-- I just want a Tripod and a an Anvil-30 head to slap my AI on top of (or any similar ARCA equipped boomstick)

I ran into the same confusion. I just reached out to RRS to ask them what adapter I needed for a specific Leofoto tripod and they walked me through it, and didn’t give me any grief for buying a knockoff either.

Good folks, and am happy to be using at least some of their equipment haha

Reactions: deersniper
Getting into Tripods

However you can use a RRS tripod or a 2 Vets Tripod. RRS is lighter--2 Vets has a better price.

What I don't understand is the adapter plates. The Anvil-30 ARC has no adapter looking at it as a stand alone. I'm not understanding if I get a SOAR tripod "kit" (like a 24L) if the Anvil-30 just works or it has this adapter mount like one of these:

I'm a bit lost-- I just want a Tripod and a an Anvil-30 head to slap my AI on top of (or any similar ARCA equipped boomstick)
They sell the TFTC tripod with the anvil 30 as a kit. It comes ready to go. Forget the other tripods. You will eventually buy an RRS so just do it from the get go.

You will need to also buy an AI specific rail from RRS. The rail depends on which AI you are using. See photos

AT and RRS Seated.jpg
AXMC on Tripod.jpg

I have both a TFCT 24L with Anvil and a two vets No Name with anvil. The TFCT 24L comes with the anvil and it is thinner, the anvil does not come off as mentioned above. I actually just got the RRS plate for the anvil on the No Name. In my case it was TA-3-PF. Just got it fitted in, the bowl fits. Can’t speak to use in the field yet.

Getting into Tripods

I guess if you are a serious competitor (which I am not) or just like the best of stuff then the RRS TFCT should be the way to go...for $1,465 - $1,580 complete with Anvil :eek:. Oh, RRS shows it as out of stock at the present

I'm not in either category so I have a 2Vets with an Anvil on it. 2 Vets makes two tripods that will accept the mounting plate that they also make for Anvil:

- The No Name tripod....$435
- The Recon....$605

Then you need to add the Anvil mounting plate. Tripod comes with a standard center screw type mounting plate for regular ball head type hardware. The mounting plate locks into the tripod and is easily removed without tools. Seriously, I can fuck up anything mechanical and even I found swapping mounting plates to be super easy and the plates very secure when installed.

- Anvil conversion bowl....$100

Then the Anvil 30 from RRS....$395

So, RRS TFCT = $1,465 or a bit more
2 Vet No Name (I have this one and like it and 2 Vets CS), Anvil plate, and Anvil = $930
2 Vets Recon with same other stuff = $1,100

Your choice.

Reactions: omicron1792
Cause it’s touted by everybody in the world in a knee jerk reaction incl many people who don’t have a demanding need a $1,500 rig maybe?

I’m glad you’re enjoying owning yours (y)

WRONG as usual
Give it a break, Nik. You’ve been confronting my posts w arrogant snark and contradiction for weeks now and telling me how you are going to school me when we are in PA. I’m done with it.

You don’t like what I post? Suck it up and keep it to yourself, eh.

I shoot 100% from a tripod with arca- bench with rear bag, plates and hunting.

For me, Anvil 30 with RRS legs is where I eventually ended up and wish I had done it sooner, but leofoto legs/anvil 30 wasn’t bad.

Depends how much you’ll actually use it.

Reactions: Nik H
Just buy the RRS. You're most of the way there w/ any other half way decent tripod. Wish I would have just bought the RRS to begin with instead of trying to "save a little money".

Also, consider resale for the entire cost of ownership. You pay either on the front end (RRS), or the ass end (cheap tripod). Your overall experience will likely be much better with the RRS.

I use my tripod at every match. For both shooting and spotting. It's a solid equipment investment.

IMG_0355.jpeg

Reactions: Nik H and YotaEer
Just buy the RRS. You're most of the way there w/ any other half way decent tripod. Wish I would have just bought the RRS to begin with instead of trying to "save a little money".

Also, consider resale for the entire cost of ownership. You pay either on the front end (RRS), or the ass end (cheap tripod). Your overall experience will likely be much better with the RRS.

I use my tripod at every match. For both shooting and spotting. It's a solid equipment investment.

View attachment 7943911
Jefe, which model is that?

The RRS tripod classifications do my head in. Not so much understanding what the designations all stand for, as they have the key for that on their website, but then knowing what version would be needed for what application ...

Reactions: Timo Turl
I just picked up a Two Vets Recon V2 and an Anvil 30 with no adapter and it works great. I had called and asked and it is not needed on the version 2 of the Recon. I am just starting out and seemed like a good option for $1000 vs getting a full RRS system.

Reactions: Baron23

View attachment 7943911
Agree 100% I have a TFCT 33 but had 2 other tripods prior that didn't work out for using as a shooting platform.. I would have cost me less to just get the RRS in the first place. Not the first time I tried to save money buying crappy stuff and thought I would have learned a lesson.

I appreciate the entusiatic response--but the question really wasn't about 2V vs RRS--its the damn adapter plates that have me confused.

Not sure that’s an answer to my question, but if you haven’t asked the experts, who answer their phones, then it’s hard not to feel like this is just a whining session about “tripods are complicated”?

Jefe, which model is that?

The RRS tripod classifications do my head in. Not so much understanding what the designations all stand for, as they have the key for that on their website, but then knowing what version would be needed for what application ...
TFCT 33

Reactions: Dobermann
Not sure that’s an answer to my question, but if you haven’t asked the experts, who answer their phones, then it’s hard not to feel like this is just a whining session about “tripods are complicated”?
Apparently "Yes" is confusing for some people. Not sure what crawled up your ass today.

From what I understand the 2 Vets adapter plate is needed if you are running a Gen 1 Recon or No Name tripod with an Anvil 30. If you get a Gen 2 it is not needed to run the Anvil 30. I could be wrong on that though as I have not spoken directly to 2 Vets to confirm. If you are using the RRS Versa tripod you will need a adapter plate for the Anvil 30. If you get the RRS TFCT with Anvil 30 you won't need any adapter plates. I just purchased a RRS 34L TFCT with Anvil 30 for shooting but am looking at a RRS 34L Versa for work. The TFCT series will fold up smaller because of the smaller diameter at the top compared to the Versa series. The adapter plate for the Versa depends on what series you get. Series 2 adapter for the series 2 Versa tripod or series 3 adapter for the series 3 Versa tripod. I hope this helps some.

Reactions: DocRDS
I ran into the same confusion. I just reached out to RRS to ask them what adapter I needed for a specific Leofoto tripod and they walked me through it, and didn’t give me any grief for buying a knockoff either.

Good folks, and am happy to be using at least some of their equipment haha
Which Leofoto tripod was it and what adapter did you need?

Which Leofoto tripod was it and what adapter did you need?
TA-2-APF adapter for the Leofoto LS-364C tripod. I’m not an expert, but I believe the TA-2-APF is the adapter to mount on top of a smaller tripod apex, whereas the TA-3-APF is designed to drop inside the large apex style that is an open ring. The types that will take the TA-2-APF don’t have the open ring.

Reactions: Ubaderb
From what I understand the 2 Vets adapter plate is needed if you are running a Gen 1 Recon or No Name tripod with an Anvil 30. If you get a Gen 2 it is not needed to run the Anvil 30. I could be wrong on that though as I have not spoken directly to 2 Vets to confirm. If you are using the RRS Versa tripod you will need a adapter plate for the Anvil 30. If you get the RRS TFCT with Anvil 30 you won't need any adapter plates. I just purchased a RRS 34L TFCT with Anvil 30 for shooting but am looking at a RRS 34L Versa for work. The TFCT series will fold up smaller because of the smaller diameter at the top compared to the Versa series. The adapter plate for the Versa depends on what series you get. Series 2 adapter for the series 2 Versa tripod or series 3 adapter for the series 3 Versa tripod. I hope this helps some.
Nope, for the No name you need their adapter plate for the Anvil. Works well and is a tool less swap between it and the standard photo type ball head mount.

Nope, for the No name you need their adapter plate for the Anvil. Works well and is a tool less swap between it and the standard photo type ball head mount.
I spoke to 2 Vets yesterday. The adapter only works with the Gen 1 tripod. The Gen 2 does now have the bowl. It only has the stud to screw a ball head on.

I spoke to 2 Vets yesterday. The adapter only works with the Gen 1 tripod. The Gen 2 does now have the bowl. It only has the stud to screw a ball head on.
Oh wow, thanks. Mine No Name isn’t very old and needed the Anvil adapter and I didn’t see anything inducting Gen 1 vs 2.

But I don’t quite understand. You are saying that the Gen 2 has “the bowl” and I’m guessing you mean the Anvil plate but then say “it only has the stud…”.

Isn’t this contradictory? My No Name came wit a plate w stud for photo type connection with tooless removal so as to swap w a plate w the four mounting holes for an Anvil???

Oh wow, thanks. Mine No Name isn’t very old and needed the Anvil adapter and I didn’t see anything inducting Gen 1 vs 2.

But I don’t quite understand. You are saying that the Gen 2 has “the bowl” and I’m guessing you mean the Anvil plate but then say “it only has the stud…”.

Isn’t this contradictory? My No Name came wit a plate w stud for photo type connection with tooless removal so as to swap w a plate w the four mounting holes for an Anvil???
Sorry. It was a typo. The Gen 2 does not have a bowl (that may be the wrong term) it only has the threaded stud to screw a ball head or similar accessory on. Also after double checking the No Name only has a Gen 1 listed on the website currently. The Recon and QDT are available as both a Gen 1and Gen 2

Sorry. It was a typo. The Gen 2 does not have a bowl (that may be the wrong term) it only has the threaded stud to screw a ball head or similar accessory on. Also after double checking the No Name only has a Gen 1 listed on the website currently. The Recon and QDT are available as both a Gen 1and Gen 2
Ok, and yes...it can get to be a bit confusing.

So, the No Name comes with the mounting plate with just the photo ball head type threaded stud but its removable and compatible with their Anvil mounting plate...which I have and which works very well.

The Recon comes in plain or V2. Plain old Recon does accept the Anvil mounting plate...the V2 does not.

Now, I have zero idea why there is a V2 Recon except its a bit lighter than the plain Recon (5.6 lbs vs 4.8...so, 14 oz diff).

I do believe that the plain Recon and the No Name are the only two that accept the Anvil plate but I may be mistaken.

Best of luck.

Ok, and yes...it can get to be a bit confusing.

So, the No Name comes with the mounting plate with just the photo ball head type threaded stud but its removable and compatible with their Anvil mounting plate...which I have and which works very well.

The Recon comes in plain or V2. Plain old Recon does accept the Anvil mounting plate...the V2 does not.

Now, I have zero idea why there is a V2 Recon except its a bit lighter than the plain Recon (5.6 lbs vs 4.8...so, 14 oz diff).

I do believe that the plain Recon and the No Name are the only two that accept the Anvil plate but I may be mistaken.

Best of luck.
I believe you are correct on the Gen 1 Recon and No Name taking the Anvil 30 adapter plate.

Reactions: Baron23
What plate do I need to put on my Vortex spotter to fit my Anvil 30?

Bringing up an old topic. Has anyone drilled a hole in bottom of two vets tripod in order to put one cap screw in the anvil to prevent from loosening by accident along with the stud. It looks like the hole that has the plug in it is too wide to put one of the cap screws. Or do you just put some loctite on the stud and call it a day.

Bringing up an old topic. Has anyone drilled a hole in bottom of two vets tripod in order to put one cap screw in the anvil to prevent from loosening by accident along with the stud. It looks like the hole that has the plug in it is too wide to put one of the cap screws. Or do you just put some loctite on the stud and call it a day.
I’m running a different tripod, but I have done that. Drawing a blank on how I even measured it to drill the hole in the right spot, but I just stuck it in my drill press and drilled it out and threaded a screw in it and it has been rock solid since. Otherwise, I even feel like loctite would come loose at some point.