Anvis-10 quad-tube PNVG experience chime in.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Just purchased a brand new set of pano (PNVG) anvis10s, (not the ones in the PX) couldn’t pass up on thIs particular set & so I went for it. Anyway I’m stuck in Brazil until this covid19 mess Is over. So while I’m here and not actually using the quads, I’d like to learn as much as I can about them. There inlies the problem, information is scarce and most websites that have info on them have some sort of filter blocking foreign IPs .. with good reason I guess. Anyway for those of you with experience please chime in and tell me everything ya know about this grail in the NODS unicorn realm... ? needless to say covid19 virus has to go. I wanna wear my goddamn Quadtubes ya hear!
Here’s my tubes :love:
BC92EA66-AF3E-4D2E-9D0D-38E69718A8A2.jpeg

Reactions: SkyScrapin

Will-1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
I don't think jwramp is on this forum but he's on ARF. Last I knew, he has a set. I'd post up there or hit him up on IG

Reactions: Eliteuas

bantaman2

Private
Belligerents
Dec 16, 2011
Washington [WA]
the only thing that is different from these and regular dual tubes is that when they are adjusted correctly, you will see 3 circles. one center one, with two on the outside helping with the peripheral view. They are really fun and a massive benefit compared to regular duals. (also don't forget that if they are on an ANVIS mount and you leave them in the down position, they will turn on. I ruined 4 WP tubes when I first got mine)

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Brother, where’d ya score the WP 16mm anvis tubes for them? If you could pm me I’d appreciate it

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Do you have the ANVIS adapter mount for a standard shroud? Or are you using a wilcox or storm mount for the helmet? The standard ANVIS mount won’t work on a standard shroud without an adapter.

jeffl838

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Anvis stuff freaks me out because of how many broken 6’s I’ve seen but these are super tempting for the price.

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
I have a Crye nightcap and norotos plate, Wilcox g01 and the goggles . Am I missing anything?
I’ve never used a crye nightcap, so I can’t say for sure but that setup might be a little heavy. Does it allow for a battery pack? You’ll need that too somewhere on your noggin.

Rinky

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 11, 2012
ND
Can you really run that much weight off of a nightcap?
This was my first thought too. OP you need to step up to a real helmet with a good suspension system. You're hanging a huge 2lb object off the front of your head...

Edit: that I should add isnt particularly durable and costs a ton of money. That nightcap is going to be so damn uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Worst case I’ll buy a helmet. Yes these are battery pack compatible but with the mount I have (Wilcox g01) the battery goes in the mount. No pack necessary. A counter weight and retention system would be put in play on the nightcap that’s for sure.

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Worst case I’ll buy a helmet. Yes these are battery pack compatible but with the mount I have (Wilcox g01) the battery goes in the mount. No pack necessary. A counter weight and retention system would be put in play on the nightcap that’s for sure.
Duuuuuude just get a helmet. Then you can LARP with the rest of us lol. Seriously, that’s an expensive set of nods to not use a helmet. I tried my buddies ANVIS 10 and I couldn’t imagine not having a helmet.

Redneckranger1009

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2020
Ft. Bliss Tx
I have 2 ops core skull mounts and hands down wouldn't trade em for anything. Holds weight like a helmet and is super comfortable. ( Have worn em all night while pig hunting) Down side is the're bulky and and don't pack well into a rucksack or a bag if you need space. I use the night cap for monos at work because there super compact.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Duuuuuude just get a helmet. Then you can LARP with the rest of us lol. Seriously, that’s an expensive set of nods to not use a helmet. I tried my buddies ANVIS 10 and I couldn’t imagine not having a helmet.
I’m probably gonna go the ops core route before a helmet. We will see.

Rinky

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 11, 2012
ND
I’m probably gonna go the ops core route before a helmet. We will see.
I'm just confused by your opposition to buying a 300$ bump helmet. You've got a 10,000$+ set of panos that you will want to wear for hours on end but wont be able to use because of the mount digging into your forehead causing headaches within an hour. Think of the camming forces on the lower side of that mount due to the weight and length of the panos 4in out from your face. You will absolutely need a counterweight and the most intelligent one is to get a remote battery pack to support longer run times and less battery swapping and then still counterbalance the panos with weights under the battery pack. Even after 8hrs under nods on my current bump setup that's only 5lbs my neck is tight for a day or two. My 7lb ballistic setup is worse. Add another pound due to your panos vs my binos and I just dont see how you'll be able to really enjoy that extra FOV when you're blind from a migraine.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
I'm just confused by your opposition to buying a 300$ bump helmet. You've got a 10,000$+ set of panos that you will want to wear for hours on end but wont be able to use because of the mount digging into your forehead causing headaches within an hour. Think of the camming forces on the lower side of that mount due to the weight and length of the panos 4in out from your face. You will absolutely need a counterweight and the most intelligent one is to get a remote battery pack to support longer run times and less battery swapping and then still counterbalance the panos with weights under the battery pack. Even after 8hrs under nods on my current bump setup that's only 5lbs my neck is tight for a day or two. My 7lb ballistic setup is worse. Add another pound due to your panos vs my binos and I just dont see how you'll be able to really enjoy that extra FOV when you're blind from a migraine.
I’m not against a helmet, & I might just go the helmet route since I already have a nightcap. I’ve just never worn a helmet for NODS... you make some valid points and also some I don’t see as valid as I’ve ran duals on a nightcap and never had neck pains... to each his own I guess. I will probably be going the battery pack route sooner then later as well. First I gotta see if I even like PANOS. If I don’t see a severe benefit to them they will be on the chopping block sooner then later @ around 20k.
I’ve seen these sets go for upwards of that (22-25k) and not be new, these are. I’ve also seen questionable sets with no provenance go for 12-16k... it’s really a rarity to get a clean set from a reputable source.. anyway thanks for the response. I think a bump helmet might just be in the works. Anyone make a multicam blk bump helmet or cover that you know of? I could probably get a buddy to duracoat a lid for me if not...

Reactions: SkyScrapin

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
I’m not against a helmet, & I might just go the helmet route since I already have a nightcap. I’ve just never worn a helmet for NODS... you make some valid points and also some I don’t see as valid as I’ve ran duals on a nightcap and never had neck pains... to each his own I guess. I will probably be going the battery pack route sooner then later as well. First I gotta see if I even like PANOS. If I don’t see a severe benefit to them they will be on the chopping block sooner then later @ around 20k.
I’ve seen these sets go for upwards of that (22-25k) and not be new, these are. I’ve also seen questionable sets with no provenance go for 12-16k... it’s really a rarity to get a clean set from a reputable source.. anyway thanks for the response. I think a bump helmet might just be in the works. Anyone make a multicam blk bump helmet or cover that you know of? I could probably get a buddy to duracoat a lid for me if not...
Well I will say this...I have ANVIS 9 with some really nice white L3 tubes, my buddy has ANVIS 10 with green and lower spec. Even if both were the same price, I’d stick with mine. The extra vision is pretty cool, but I will take high quality duals vs lower quality pano.

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Well I will say this...I have ANVIS 9 with some really nice white L3 tubes, my buddy has ANVIS 10 with green and lower spec. Even if both were the same price, I’d stick with mine. The extra vision is pretty cool, but I will take high quality duals vs lower quality pano.
I’ll let ya know my take on it as soon as I land and have tried them out tomorrow night! I’ve owned WP tubes and had duals before... and can do everything I need with duals, yet the quads have a awe factor from what I’ve been told. We will see!

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
I’ll let ya know my take on it as soon as I land and have tried them out tomorrow night! I’ve owned WP tubes and had duals before... and can do everything I need with duals, yet the quads have a awe factor from what I’ve been told. We will see!
If they don’t work as well as you hoped, I’ll send you my address. Don’t worry, I’ll even save you the hassle of accepting such a large sum of cash. We can settle on a pack of gum instead. Trident layer gum!

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Well a helmet or better harness is definitely going to be required . These things push on your forehead with the nightcap / they are heavy lol ?
Can’t wait to do some goonin tonight in the yard!
my new air rifle also got here. It’s a .257 caliber slug gun that shoots 65gr booolits at just under 900 FPS the way it’s tuned. I plan on tuning it higher though... (960 or so)
Anyway here’s some pics ! My brother loaned me his athlon for it as I’m currently glass less (for now)243D3191-676D-49AA-A2CD-9660CA434383.jpeg1DBECB91-3D6C-447A-9081-6C05AF643D9B.jpeg88D77031-47B4-468C-BEBA-A99AB023FD15.jpeg5FAA27C9-9FFB-4BC6-B578-86921E69B7E0.jpeg7685F28A-F961-4D93-825F-050078605411.jpeg5930BB34-E9D6-4DCB-8C6B-B388F28E785A.jpeg235055FE-6CBC-4867-8ABF-784F955F1891.jpegF76DFA80-BEA1-4E67-833C-5F5E244C7567.jpeg39F108F5-71C5-4D48-BF3D-2780F73C8373.jpeg7CFC00F2-E9A2-4236-A444-B55EAED328FE.jpeg

Will-1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
+1

jwramp

Photo Guy
Belligerents
Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
www.jwramp.com
Heard my name - yes I had some AN/AVS-10s for a bit and ended up selling them last fall to switch back to binos. They were awesome units and I really had no complaints. Performance of the tubes was fantastic (I'm assuming they had higher specs for the aviation guys) and the added FoV was great for team work that I got to do in an NVG CQB course with them. Much more natural way to see the rest of the guys around you and take in more of the room faster. I didn't run into any ruggedness concerns, but I tend to take care of my expensive gear fairly well and didn't run into them or drop them at all.

I wasn't a huge fan of being the center of attention at all the range trips with them, and passing them around to everyone and their uncle (I should have set out a donation jar...) and was looking for a change. Having so much money tied up in a unit with questionable provenance and even less warranty support made me nervous, and I sold them along with most of my 'brighter' restricted laser units (think 100-1000mW ranges) to clean up the collection a bit. Running L3 UF binos with a COTI now for around the same total cost, so it's not like my head is wearing less cash, but the dual-spectrum capability is very helpful.

I think there's a huge opportunity for other development of similar units (it's really not very complicated, just gotta cut and fuse some lenses for the rear), maybe on the MOD-3 platform, but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything lately other than the wonky fisheye lens stuff.

Reactions: Eliteuas and Rinky

Rinky

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 11, 2012
ND
Heard my name - yes I had some AN/AVS-10s for a bit and ended up selling them last fall to switch back to binos. They were awesome units and I really had no complaints. Performance of the tubes was fantastic (I'm assuming they had higher specs for the aviation guys) and the added FoV was great for team work that I got to do in an NVG CQB course with them. Much more natural way to see the rest of the guys around you and take in more of the room faster. I didn't run into any ruggedness concerns, but I tend to take care of my expensive gear fairly well and didn't run into them or drop them at all.

I wasn't a huge fan of being the center of attention at all the range trips with them, and passing them around to everyone and their uncle (I should have set out a donation jar...) and was looking for a change. Having so much money tied up in a unit with questionable provenance and even less warranty support made me nervous, and I sold them along with most of my 'brighter' restricted laser units (think 100-1000mW ranges) to clean up the collection a bit. Running L3 UF binos with a COTI now for around the same total cost, so it's not like my head is wearing less cash, but the dual-spectrum capability is very helpful.

I think there's a huge opportunity for other development of similar units (it's really not very complicated, just gotta cut and fuse some lenses for the rear), maybe on the MOD-3 platform, but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything lately other than the wonky fisheye lens stuff.
Hey! JW is on here. I really wish you had still had the 10s when we did this group shoot last fall but I'd about vomit handing them off every damn day too.

Attachments

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Understood. I don’t do night group shoots as of yet due to my limited weapon choice (airguns) but I do hunt and I have no problem letting my hunting buddies check them out. I wouldn’t feel bad saying no to every single person that asks though. If I don’t feel you know what your doing or that you could bring any sort of harm to my tubes / unit your not getting within 20 ft of them much less tryng them on lol ? different folks different strokes I guess... Also I didn’t buy these for bragging rights or to be the coolest guy on the range nor the internet, I bought them for the tactical advantage while hunting and simply because I like having the best of the best (in regards to what I’m allowed to have)

sharfshutz762

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2012
TX
Well a helmet or better harness is definitely going to be required . These things push on your forehead with the nightcap / they are heavy lol ?
Can’t wait to do some goonin tonight in the yard!
my new air rifle also got here. It’s a .257 caliber slug gun that shoots 65gr booolits at just under 900 FPS the way it’s tuned. I plan on tuning it higher though... (960 or so)
Anyway here’s some pics ! My brother loaned me his athlon for it as I’m currently glass less (for now)View attachment 7291972View attachment 7291973View attachment 7291974View attachment 7291975View attachment 7291976View attachment 7291977View attachment 7291978View attachment 7291979View attachment 7291980View attachment 7291982

You look exactly like how I thought.

goneballistic

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Utah
the only thing that is different from these and regular dual tubes is that when they are adjusted correctly, you will see 3 circles. one center one, with two on the outside helping with the peripheral view. They are really fun and a massive benefit compared to regular duals. (also don't forget that if they are on an ANVIS mount and you leave them in the down position, they will turn on. I ruined 4 WP tubes when I first got mine)
Ouch.. I can't even...4 tubes

Eliteuas

Advanced Air Marksman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
Just thought I’d update that the nightcap is working beautifully thus far: no neck pain or strain and they are not too heavy; but I’ve only used em for 15-30 mins each night. I’m sure once I take them on a hunt I will have wished I had a helmet at some point!

Qazwsx

Private
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2017
USA
Try to rig a counterweight for the nightcap. It will help with the neck strain even if it doesn’t translate 100% because of the soft cap material.

The biggest difference between the duals and quads is the situational awareness and being able to keep track of other people/targets and update your spatial awareness more quickly. If you’re entering a room or enclosed space, that extra field will help you know if you made it to your corner/how close you are to a wall while still being able to process the rest of the room or space.

The units can be serviced, no issue there.