• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any 284 Shooters out there. Looking for duel purpose build

Akhunter907

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2013
Well, as they say winter is coming. So time for next build is what I say. For an action I'm almost positive I'm going with a defience hunter. Really looking hard at the 284. I'm a hunter first. But do have a couple dedicated target rifles. I shoot a 20 pound 6 dasher for mid range f class for example But for me a typical build has to be able to go along in the fall, or at least be up to the task of light alaska big game hunting. already have a 6.5 saum which is now my dedicated sheep gun and a pet 300wm for the heavy lifting. And a 375 for the really heavy lifting

I figure a 7mm fill the gap. Could be a good boat based caribou rifle. Spring bear.....boat based deer. but will most likely just shoot paper and steel. Finished weight I'm figuring around 12 pounds with a 5-22 NF

Bullets, looking to shoot the 162-168 class, lapua brass. Ranges, we'll about as far as I can get but max practice ranges max out around 1100

My questions are what barrel length and twist would you favor? Most info out there favors the longer barrel but was leaning to to 20-24 inch class...For those shooting one, what kind of velocities are you getting

And I guess lastly, if you now of a Smith who chambers the 284. And really looking for someone who uses the lapua brass 284 reamer.

Thanks! Pros cons, all thoughts welcome here

Last edited:
Damn you must be hard core using .284 for 'DUELING PURPOSES'.

LVMED that's funny. Didn't notice it when I typed it. Maybe I'll change to multiple purpose. Or at least dual