• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any .308 Elk/Deer rifle recommendations?

DurangoAl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2023
Durango, CO
I'm looking to get a dedicated elk/deer hunting rifle in .308 (I'm pretty committed to this caliber, so don't want to start that debate). Max range ~ 350 yards where I will hunt.

If you have one you love, I'd like to hear it.

I am looking for:
1) light
2) suppressor ready
3) shorter barrel, maybe 18-20"
4) Budget not firm, but maybe under $1500

Current candidates are:

Bergara B-14 Ridge
Browning X-Bolt Speed
I guess there nothing wrong with a Rem 700.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!

Reactions: javy
What other options are you interested in? Stock or chassis? Folding or fixed? Upgradable? Fixed or removable magazine?

Also please define what is light to you.

These are personal preference things and will help narrow down your search.

Other then that we would just be throwing mud at the wall.

Reactions: Modoc
Stainless Tikka T3X Lite. Ready to go. If you want shorter, cut to 20" or even 18" and rethread the barrel. Plenty of velocity to far beyond 350 yards. Will work in all conditions.

What other options are you interested in? Stock or chassis? Folding or fixed? Upgradable? Fixed or removable magazine?

Also please define what is light to you.

These are personal preference things and will help narrow down your search.

Other then that we would just be throwing mud at the wall.

Weight: under 7.5 lbs or so

Stock: I really like shooting chassis, but I figured to keep this gun light and sleek, might be better to get a synthetic stock, adjust LOP and drill in a cheek riser. That said, folding would be a very nice option, although I don't have to hike in that far at this hunting ground.

Mag: internal, hing plate type

I figure this gun is really just something I shoot at the range until I'm really comfortable with my accuracy, then it's just a few rounds a year for sight in and the hunt.

I really like the Tikkas, the roughtech would work, barrel length was all that held me back, I really don't want to mess with cutting it down, if the other rifle options are similarly good.

I love the look of that Christensen, but from reading around this site, seemed like there were a fair amount of people that have had a bad experience with their guns??

Hasn't even thought about the Henry, I'll go look it up.

I like the look of the Ruger, but 9.2 lbs.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - much appreciated.

This is the model I was referring to. 6.2 lbs. threaded 18” barrel. Buddy has one and it shoots 3/4 moa with 180 SST loads

I think the Christianson Arms complaints are probably way over exaggerated. I'm sure there are a few issues, but every manufacturer has issues. I've owned a couple and they both shot ok. I didn't like the flimsy stocks for the price.

If your ok with used. The Remington 5r 20" weights right at your 7.5lb goal. They have a great reputation of accuracy, both mine shot very well, and come with a good decent stock. Since it's a remington you will be able to upgrade anything you want as time passes.

I think the Christianson Arms complaints are probably way over exaggerated. I'm sure there are a few issues, but every manufacturer has issues. I've owned a couple and they both shot ok. I didn't like the flimsy stocks for the price.
I agree. I have 5 CA rifles (2 MPR's, 2 Ridgelines (regular & FFT) and a Ranger 22), and they all shoot good. Handloads for the centerfires, and CCI SV for the Ranger.

Those Ruger Predator are nice for the money. I got one for my kid to hunt with and it's killed a lot of deer and 1 elk.

Dang, that one would leave some serious dough in my pocket too!
Put it in a Magpul Hunter stock, or a chassis, or something decent that uses AICS pattern mags, get some MDT .308 Win mags without the binder plate (longer COAL), and you'd be gold.

Put it in a Magpul Hunter stock, or a chassis, or something decent that uses AICS pattern mags, get some MDT .308 Win mags without the binder plate (longer COAL), and you'd be gold.
That Predator comes in models with either internal Ruger mags or AICS mags

Reactions: DurangoAl
If he can find one, the AICS version would be the best, as it allows flexibility of magazines that allow longer COAL seating.
The AICS is harder to come by. Both were for a long time. My buddy who shoots the 180 sst has the Ruger mag and my BIL has the AICS. Both are good. But the AICS makes the most sense

Slightly over your budget, but a good option... It's on sale for $2,078.99 at EuroOptic...

I have one, and really like it.
Yeah, I too was going to mention Christensen….particularly over the Bagara.

Christensen does have some models they list within the OP’s budget…$1,399 type of price.

Buddy of mine has one and does crop damage permit hunting sometimes at quite a long range and he is very happy with this rifle. His is 6.5 CM though.

Best of luck.

Reactions: FuhQ and DurangoAl
Weight: under 7.5 lbs or so

Stock: I really like shooting chassis, but I figured to keep this gun light and sleek, might be better to get a synthetic stock, adjust LOP and drill in a cheek riser. That said, folding would be a very nice option, although I don't have to hike in that far at this hunting ground.

Mag: internal, hing plate type

I figure this gun is really just something I shoot at the range until I'm really comfortable with my accuracy, then it's just a few rounds a year for sight in and the hunt.

I really like the Tikkas, the roughtech would work, barrel length was all that held me back, I really don't want to mess with cutting it down, if the other rifle options are similarly good.

I love the look of that Christensen, but from reading around this site, seemed like there were a fair amount of people that have had a bad experience with their guns??

Hasn't even thought about the Henry, I'll go look it up.

I like the look of the Ruger, but 9.2 lbs.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - much appreciated.
A 20" Tikka UPR weighs 7.9 lbs. CTR is about the same. Detachable magazines, though.

I'm looking to get a dedicated elk/deer hunting rifle in .308 (I'm pretty committed to this caliber, so don't want to start that debate). Max range ~ 350 yards where I will hunt.

I am looking for:
1) light
2) suppressor ready

Current candidates are:

Bergara B-14 Ridge
Browning X-Bolt Speed

Regardless of the rifles you`re currently evaluating and asked about, I`ll be stunned if they`re not essentially ignored in favor of.....wait for it.....a TIKKA!!

Man, Tikka fans are diehard! I was putting together a .223 varmint/trainer are was really close to dropping a Tikka into a Bravo, just based on what I read here. But I've never done a build and got so curious about that I ended up with a Origin action/Bravo.

I am tempted to own a Tikka just to see for myself.

Looking into it, why the hell doesn't Tikka put detailed spec sheets on their website?? The weights on the seller websites are not consistent.
In .308, 20":
Euro optic has CTR 7.5 lbs, UPR 8.2 lbs
Calgary shooting Centre has CTR 8 lbs, UPR 7.9 lbs

I Googled the heck out of it, anyone know where to get the definitive weights?

Man, Tikka fans are diehard! I was putting together a .223 varmint/trainer are was really close to dropping a Tikka into a Bravo, just based on what I read here. But I've never done a build and got so curious about that I ended up with a Origin action/Bravo.

Looking into it, why the hell doesn't Tikka put detailed spec sheets on their website?? The weights on the seller websites are not consistent.
In .308, 20":

I don`t own a Tikka but they are considered to be excellent rifles. One thing`s for sure. The owners of this forum deserve to be on Tikka`s marketing payroll based on the advertising they receive!

In .308, 20":

Check out the Howa, shoot good, nice rifle for the $$. I wouldn't get a Browning. 3 of my buds bought the 2K + version in 6.5 PRC. They are a joke. All have gone away, we played with one for a month this winter. They could have gotten something that shot good for that $ or less.

In .308, 20":

I wouldn’t call myself a diehard Tikka guy but have owned many different rifles over the years. So Tikka fan boy stuff aside I’ve owned or still own

Accuracy International (AT/AXMC), stiller (R700), GAP (R700), Tikka (T3X Alpine Veil/T1X/CTR), Bergara B14R, Ruger American and a pile of savage and a few Rem 700 factory rifles.

For a factory rifle the Tikka CTR comes with one of the best single stage triggers from the box. My Alpine Veil is excellent, the CTR is set at 1.5 lbs and excellent and the T1X drops to 15 oz from the factory. Literally putting it on par with many aftermarket opinions

The CTR mags are 10 round double stack. Similar to the AW (Accuracy International) mags. Mine feeds smooth but the mags are expensive. For your use though I don’t think it would be an issue. The bolt is excellent compared to the other factory options. Very smooth and the bolt throw (I think 70°) is hands down my preference compared to 90° on the R700 platforms

The CTR comes with a flimsy stock. It works but especially flexible if you’re hooking a bipod to it. It does however have a cheek rest, a grip which is more verticals but can be replaced with a more traditional if desired. Also has a wider forend you can add if desired. For a hunting gun and especially for your use the factory stock I’m sure will serve you fine

The Ruger I suggested above is a great gun for a beat around, only to be used for hunting, not really planning to shoot a lot of steel and not planning to expand on in the future

If you want to expand or think you might the ctr hands down gives you a better platform to build on. But can be left in or swapped back to a semi lightweight platform for hunting if needed.

I would put my Tikka ctr closer to being on par with a Sako or AI rifle vs a basic factory rifle like my Bergara or R700 platforms. I put mine in a tier above any of the Savage/R700/Ruger/Bergara that I’ve owned. But if money isn’t an option then AI takes the win over the Tikka.

I refer to my Tikka as a poor man’s Sako TRG. A sterk bolt knob is my only upgrade left. Below is a factory ctr 308 20” dropped in a krg bravo. It’s not “light” but lighter than you’d expect

If I was hunting, walking a lot, needed compact and only shooting for pie plate accuracy inside 300 yards then I’d grab a Ruger Predator or my Tikka T3X veil alpine before this. But for everything else with a bit of hunting mixed in, the Tikka is a different animal compared to a predator
317B38BF-F4AA-4B42-B388-5DA998205527.jpeg
D1C548A7-AEA7-4DC6-8D8E-948D398A2E4E.jpeg

In .308, 20":

I thought the Tikka website might have the weights about right?

whole range:
UPR:
CTR:

Check out the Howa, shoot good, nice rifle for the $$. I wouldn't get a Browning. 3 of my buds bought the 2K + version in 6.5 PRC. They are a joke. All have gone away, we played with one for a month this winter. They could have gotten something that shot good for that $ or less.
Yeah, I did more work on the Browning since this conversation started, and hearing about some problems, think I will that that off the list, like you say, especially for the money.

I thought the Tikka website might have the weights about right?

whole range:
UPR:
CTR:

Thank you for that! I clicked and clicked and never found that page

I wouldn’t call myself a diehard Tikka guy but have owned many different rifles over the years. So Tikka fan boy stuff aside I’ve owned or still own

Accuracy International (AT/AXMC), stiller (R700), GAP (R700), Tikka (T3X Alpine Veil/T1X/CTR), Bergara B14R, Ruger American and a pile of savage and a few Rem 700 factory rifles.

For a factory rifle the Tikka CTR comes with one of the best single stage triggers from the box. My Alpine Veil is excellent, the CTR is set at 1.5 lbs and excellent and the T1X drops to 15 oz from the factory. Literally putting it on par with many aftermarket opinions

The CTR mags are 10 round double stack. Similar to the AW (Accuracy International) mags. Mine feeds smooth but the mags are expensive. For your use though I don’t think it would be an issue. The bolt is excellent compared to the other factory options. Very smooth and the bolt throw (I think 70°) is hands down my preference compared to 90° on the R700 platforms

The CTR comes with a flimsy stock. It works but especially flexible if you’re hooking a bipod to it. It does however have a cheek rest, a grip which is more verticals but can be replaced with a more traditional if desired. Also has a wider forend you can add if desired. For a hunting gun and especially for your use the factory stock I’m sure will serve you fine

The Ruger I suggested above is a great gun for a beat around, only to be used for hunting, not really planning to shoot a lot of steel and not planning to expand on in the future

If you want to expand or think you might the ctr hands down gives you a better platform to build on. But can be left in or swapped back to a semi lightweight platform for hunting if needed.

I would put my Tikka ctr closer to being on par with a Sako or AI rifle vs a basic factory rifle like my Bergara or R700 platforms. I put mine in a tier above any of the Savage/R700/Ruger/Bergara that I’ve owned. But if money isn’t an option then AI takes the win over the Tikka.

I refer to my Tikka as a poor man’s Sako TRG. A sterk bolt knob is my only upgrade left. Below is a factory ctr 308 20” dropped in a krg bravo. It’s not “light” but lighter than you’d expect

If I was hunting, walking a lot, needed compact and only shooting for pie plate accuracy inside 300 yards then I’d grab a Ruger Predator or my Tikka T3X veil alpine before this. But for everything else with a bit of hunting mixed in, the Tikka is a different animal compared to a predator
View attachment 8111569View attachment 8111570
Man, thank you very much for writing all that up and the pics. I think the Tikka has taken the lead. With Perttime's helpful link, I was able to confirm in the 20" barrels, both the UPR and CTR weight the same, 7.9 lbs. Have you, Perttime or anyone else had experience with the UPR chassis? It's only $150 more than the CTR. Given what you said about the CTR chassis, I'm wondering if the UPR upgrade might be worth it.

Also, I got the shoot my new Origin/Bravo .223 today, I'm new to the chassis world, but loving it since I'm a gangly 6'3", but I can't seem to get my thumb comfortable of the Bravo, I've been laying it over the top mostly, do you have thumb placement secrets?

I run my thumb along the side

The krg has endless add ons. Be it rails/LOP etc. I’m like you 6’2” and my LOP is 15.5”. So it’s nice to have the ability of chassis or krg setups to get the LOP longer

There’s other options besides the bravo as well. Price just climbs as you venture

Couple threads on the Tikka UPR below

Tikkas are recommended because you can walk into any LGS and order a Tikka and know what you will be getting. If I lost my luggage, and needed a hunting rifle, I would be looking for a Tikka. Its also great rifle to train others on or to loan out, simple because its so predicable in performance.

Reactions: BCP and DurangoAl

I am looking for:
1) light
2) suppressor ready

Current candidates are:

Bergara B-14 Ridge
Browning X-Bolt Speed

Tikka.

I run my thumb along the side

The krg has endless add ons. Be it rails/LOP etc. I’m like you 6’2” and my LOP is 15.5”. So it’s nice to have the ability of chassis or krg setups to get the LOP longer

There’s other options besides the bravo as well. Price just climbs as you venture

Couple threads on the Tikka UPR below

super helpful, UPR in the lead

Reactions: hafejd30
I've actually only handled the CTR and UPR. I much preferred the UPR stock. Works fine with the thumb up.

The UPR stock is lighter than a Bravo chassis. The fore-end of a Bravo is probably stiffer than the UPR, which probably isn't significant on a hunting weight rifle.

... I'm not a fan of the color of the UPR stock. There's examples of painted ones in some threads here. Much better.

I've actually only handled the CTR and UPR. I much preferred the UPR stock. Works fine with the thumb up.

The UPR stock is lighter than a Bravo chassis. The fore-end of a Bravo is probably stiffer than the UPR, which probably isn't significant on a hunting weight rifle.

... I'm not a fan of the color of the UPR stock. There's examples of painted ones in some threads here. Much better.

Yeah, I don't love the color either, kind of has an arctic look to it, now you've got me searching "how to paint rifle stock"

Yeah, I don't love the color either, kind of has an arctic look to it, now you've got me searching "how to paint rifle stock"

Easy fix with a couple cans of Krylon camo.

I wouldn't buy the UPR because it's blued. The shit rusts, and Tikka barrels are known to be slow, but the SS barrels aren't quite as slow. SS is the way to go.

I wouldn't worry about the slow or blued but it's up to him, the regular tikka lite 308 would be fine once cut/threaded. The Tikka UPR would be my pick because it has all the stuff I would want, the two sling studs up front, magazine, 24" barrel, he doesn't need any of that though.

Reactions: perttime
I have two Ruger Americans in the Go Wild models. One 6.5creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. If you swap the trigger springs these rifles both will shoot way above the pay grade. Sub MOA most of the time .5MOA regularly. The go wilds have cerakote, box mags, threaded barrels and not heavy at all.
20230404_202338.jpg

I have two Ruger Americans in the Go Wild models. One 6.5creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. If you swap the trigger springs these rifles both will shoot way above the pay grade. Sub MOA most of the time .5MOA regularly. The go wilds have cerakote, box mags, threaded barrels and not heavy at all. View attachment 8112747
For you guys with Ruger Americans , Indian Creek Designs makes a chassis for the Ruger American. I have a couple of theirs, nice stuff.

I have two Ruger Americans in the Go Wild models. One 6.5creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. If you swap the trigger springs these rifles both will shoot way above the pay grade. Sub MOA most of the time .5MOA regularly. The go wilds have cerakote, box mags, threaded barrels and not heavy at all. View attachment 8112747

Yeah, looks like that would totally fit the bill too. I'll see if they have one at the gun store I can check out - thanks!

700 AAC-SD. Had one I regret selling, it was very accurate. Half your budget. 16 or 20" barrel. Hogue stock was rubberized and very grippy, I loved carrying it.