• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any 7/08 shooters on the hide??

Re: Any 7/08 shooters on the hide??

I shoot a 7/08 in a badger action. 26 in Bartlien barrel, 1-8.4 twist.

I shoot 168 bergers, seated to feed from AICS mags. I have had the best luck with Varget powder, anywhere from 43.5-44.0 grns depending on the lot. this gives me about 2800 fps..

as we all know Varget is hard to find, so I recently tried RL-17, and got amazing velocity, (2950) but the accuracy was so-so.

RL-15 works excellent as well...just use a little less

I will post more loads when I get home, but have been working with 45.8 grs. H4350 with 168 SMK's. Getting 2630-2660 fps and .75"grp. at 100 yds with 24" Savage Tactical.

Chris

I've been shooting 162amax useing RE-19 and RE-15 with not much luck. I finally aquired a pound of RE-17 that I wanta try. I'm sorta thinking about playing around with the Berger 140's??? Anyone have any info on those bullets? My best so far was with the RE-19 useing the 162 amax but the spread was God awful.

Looked at my log and H414 and IMR 4064 were top performers with either 140 Nos, 150 SMK, 168 SMK. Varget being the worst.

Just loaded up 162 A-Max with 41 Varget with BR2's Win. brass to try this weekend. I don't want to give up on Varget yet.

Best groups with all three weights seem to be in the 2550 fps range

I have a 1 in 10 twist.

Chris

I too would like to know what load the 162 A-MAX likes as Im thinking of rebarreling my .308 to 7/08 to shoot the 162's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: panzer075</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a 7/08 in a badger action. 26 in Bartlien barrel, 1-8.4 twist.

I shoot 168 bergers, seated to feed from AICS mags. I have had the best luck with Varget powder, anywhere from 43.5-44.0 grns depending on the lot. this gives me about 2800 fps..

as we all know Varget is hard to find, so I recently tried RL-17, and got amazing velocity, (2950) but the accuracy was so-so.

RL-15 works excellent as well...just use a little less </div></div>

I like the velocity you got with RL-17! How hard is it on the brass?
Pushing 162 A-MAX at 2900+ fps I'd love it! Would you share your RL-17 recipe?
Thanks!

I use 36.5 grains of Varget in either the Lapua or Remington cases in both my Factory 700 and Borden built Silhouette rifles, touched off by Federal 210m primers. This is the minimal load I use to consistently knock down rams at 500 meters. It's extremely accurate and much flatter shooting than the Sierra 168's. I probably wouldn't go any lower in powder weight. Your mileage may vary

Kevin

O.K. here it is, 41grs. Varget 162 A-Max BR2 primer, fire formed and neck sized with Lee collet. seated 2.89

Chrono was 2601-2614 unbelievable low spread!
Group was .6 slightly oblong at 100 yds.

First time using this bullet, I guess I will buy more. I will have to see how it does long range. Anyone with experience with these bullets long range??

Savage Tactical 24" tube 1:10 twist (has about 1200 rounds on it)

Chris

Belasarius,

The velocity was fantastic, but the ES was way out of control. I had similar results with RL-17 in my 308...great velocity, but ES was way high..at 1000yds at a match at Reade range I was getting almost 2-3moa of VERTICAL spread...when I switched back to my old reload went back to keepin em in the 10 ring...

my load was about 46-47 grns RL-17 w/ 168 berger. I have also found you can push Bergers faster than most bullets...dont know if its from the design of the bullet or what..but I can get better velocity and less pressure with bergers than comparable bullets.

Chris

Just loaded up 41grs. RL15 with the 162 Amax and BR2 last night to shoot this weekend.

It's going to be hard to beat the Varget load.

Chris

RL15 is a bit faster than Varget, I think that load should give you 2650+ vel. Please do let us know how it shoots.

USMCj

I've found H4350 to be the best with the 162 Amax in my rifle. I was able to push them very accurately to about 2840 fps before pressure signs showed up. However, I settled on a load that was just as accurate with a lower velocity to handle long strings of fire during a match.

Has anyone tried Ramshot Hunter? If so what kind of velocity were you getting out of it. I really like TAC in the 308. The Ramshot powders measure like a dream. I think I want to try the 162 amax with Ramshot hunter for my new 7mm-08. It is a special run SPS varmint with a 26 inch barrel.

OK, the 41 grs. of RL-15 and the 162 Amax was a bit strange. Win. Brass neck size only BR2 primers seated 2.95

The group was .75 at 100yds. but the ES was 60 ???? maybe the BR2 does not get a long with RL-15. 2580 to 2640. temp was 70 degrees.

Anybody have any insight as to the large ES

Next I am going to try FGMM, that is what I use with RL-15 M118lLR duplicate load with success.

Chris

I tried BR2 primers first with H4350, W760, H414, H380, H4895. I went back to Win LR primers. I decided to go with the H4350 Also. 46.8 Gr H4350 in Rem. brass, and a 162 Amax. I tried both the 168 Berger and the 162 Amax. The Berger's shot great as long as I loaded them long. They liked to be loaded so long in my rifle that they would not feed out of a 308 AI mag with the Spacer removed. I went with the Amax. The 46.8gr of H4350 and a 25.5" Rock Barrel is giving me 2842 Avg. The Amax works great at long range too. Brock

Do the a-max's shoot with some jump to the lands, or do they like to be close like the bergers?

I've had my best success with them sitting 0.005"-0.010" off the lands. They are a little finicky with regards to seating depth, so you have to play with them a bit more than some others (e.g. SMKs).

That is what I am worried about. I doubt I will ever be able to get them that close and them fit in the mag. Most remingtons have too long of a throat. I won't be able to check til I get home later this week.

Mountain Shooter, do you know what ur spread was with the H4350? And what is the max OAL in those mags? I'm sorta have a hell of a time finding a load for my custom 7-08.

I have also used 46 grs. H4350 with BR2 and 168 SMk's Win. brass got to 2600 fps ES of 40 shot .5 groups. This powder has proven to be great for me with many bullets weights.

I used to use SMK's almost all the time but recently discovered The 162 Amax because all the local dealers seem to carry every 7mm bullet but the 168. (and they are a lot cheaper).

I have been sold on them and even went out and bought some 208 A max to try in the 300 Win Mag.

Moof,, I think my best ES was 23 for 5 shots when I was weighing each charge and trickleing each one. I started throwing charges and cannot see any differance in the field. Off the bench maybe. Who has time for that?? For OAL I think it is 2.930 but I will have to check tonight and see. I have not measured one since I got the dies set. Once I got every thing locked down I just sit and load. I willl check the OAL and report back. Brock

I use 150grn SMK's and Gamekings. I have had exceptional results with 41.1 grains of Varget behind either of these bullets, both moly coated. I don't know what the velocity is, but I'm not bothered, because the accuracy is fantastic.
I know it's not the bullet weight that you asked about, but it is a VERY mildly recoiling round out of my Rem 700 varmint.
Hope this helps, or just gives you something else to think about.

Neil

USMCj,

I haven't tried the 162 A-max/RL15 combo yet, but I have both and it's on my to do list.
I have a range day first Sunday in June, so I will try to knock up a few loads before then and I'll let you know.

Neil

Thank you sir! I really want to know what velocity and accuracy is attinable with that combo.

Here are my results, Win. brass, FGMM primers 41 grs RL 15 and 162 A-Max same rifle as previously discussed.
6 shot 2514 to 2565 no preassure signs, sunny 78 degrees

5 shots with a well fouled bore gave me .6 "round" group.

I would really like to get to at least 2600fps, another .5 grain should do it. most data stops at 40 or 40.5 but Lyman's 49th says max of 41.5
I just hope that extra .5 grs. does not screw up the group size

Chris

Wow my spread with RE-15 and 162 amax was like 115! Wish my luck was like yalls! Started to tinker with RE-17 now and see a lil improvement. Groups are better, still not where I want em @, 2800? Think I need to back em down some?

I have tried all the primers in 7/08 and .308 and nothing seems to work better as far as ES than FGMM with RL 15. BR 2's do the best with Varget. But I think that is consistant with most people here.