• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any advantages to a M1907 sling over a bipod on a modern bolt action rifle?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
The ancient art of steadying support versus the boring technopod. What say you?

I am a sling and iron shooter. Proper use of a sling is a lost/dying art. Everyone these days are all about tacticool bipods and monopods.

The M1907 sling is more than capable of providing adequate support to aid in accurate shooting.

The one disadvatage it has is that after a while, 20mins or more of continuous use, it cuts off circulation to your hand and can be painful so it does take a while to get used to taking long string of shots with however.

Bipods and a good butt bag will give better support and won't ware you out like a sling.

The Sling can be used in multiple positions, Sitting, Kneeling & Prone, bipods not so much.

I think the right answer is Put a Bipod on it along with a sling and bring your butt bag and your ready for everything.

I use the M1907 Sling. I shot better with it then I do off bipods or sandbags.

The trick is proper use of the M1907 sling.

Agree with much of what is said here..great support if fitted/used properly but can get uncomfortable.

Is a sling "better" than a bipod?

To me it's horses for courses..some applications may better suit one than the other and give a degree of greater flexibility.

Personal preference has a lot to do with it and, of course, shooting techniques and aids evolve over time so why not use/benefit from this in your search for accuracy.

Should use of the sling be a skill we all aspire to/practice? Without a doubt in my mind the answer is yes.

The other big question to go with use of the sling is...."Shooting jacket/glove...love them or loathe them?" ;)

I used the 1907 out to a thousand yards it's steady as long as you have a good cuff over your arm. The one time I tried it without I could see my pulse heavily though iron sights. My opinion is it's slower but great, and helpful at taming recoil if used right.

The trick is proper use of the M1907 sling.

Good point. It took me a little while. I was running it too loose and was getting frustrated. Once I figured out how that my short arms required a hole pair further down and I had to fit the buttstock in the hollow of my shoulder and sighted down my NPA, it was instantly the greatest invention of all time, ever.

Being a Appleseed instructor I must say I'm biased towards a good loop sling. I have pods on my long range rifles but on my service rifles and all 3 1022's I run a M14 go cotton loop sling. While it's true that they do cut off circulation after long periods of time ( more so if used correctly) I can shoot just as accurately out to 800 as I can with the bipod. Hard to use a pod kneeling or sitting or offhand. That's where the sling really shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One advantage is almost forcing you to pay more attention to fundamentals, especially NPA, and building a position. If I were on the firing line (ie in a controlled environment without time or terrain constraints) I would not feel disadvantaged at all slung up in a good coat vs a bipod shooter.

That being said, I shoot bipod 90% of the time.

They both have their places. A well rounded shooter should be competent with either depending upon the situation at hand.

HRF