• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any advice for a Winchester build?

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
I'm trying to build my first custom rifle on a Winchester Model 70 "CLassic" action. Is there any difference inletting wise (in regards to stocks) between an action like this and the push feed actions? Also, the action I'm using is likely from the years just prior to Winchester closing their doors and I've "heard" that quality was so-so towards the end. Is there anything in particular to look for? Any advice on accurizing them? So far I've had it rebarreled with a Pac-Nor #7 and the face of the receiver trued. I'm about to finalize a stock order tomorrow and wonder what else if anything I will need done as far as machine work (besides a bolt knob conversion).

Re: Any advice for a Winchester build?

I would have had the bolt face trued. I built 2 Classics last year for a customer and one of the bolt faces was .004" out of square, the other was about .002" out.

Re: Any advice for a Winchester build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a whole host of things you can do to a Winchester and if done correctly, they shoot lights out. What will you be using the rifle for? </div></div>

I want to try my hand at long range shooting, 600-1000. I'll only be shooting paper (steel when I go on private land) because I'm a civilian now. It is chambered for .30-06 and I'll be launching the 208gr A-max.

Here is what I have so far

2d2d2f4.jpg

ddoz00.jpg

And I have an A-5 on order for it.