• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Advice on stocks?

ace31

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2009
Va Beach, Va/Orange County, Ca
Hey guys, I have a few Remington 700 .308's sitting on their original stocks and wanted to change them out. Unfortunately I'm fairly new to bolt actions and was hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction. As of right now I would not even know the name of one company to turn to for a stock. I dont want to spend too much but at the same time Im open to all kinds of suggestions.

I will appreciate any opinions, recommendations and comments on what company or stock to go with?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Totally of topic but what does it mean when someone writes ttt at the end of a thread?
Aaron

Re: Any Advice on stocks?

Aaron, There are a lot of options when it comes to after market stocks. The high end 500-800$ would be AICS, McMillan's, Manners. There are others like HS Precision that are 250-400$. If you go with a stock like Manners, McMillan, HS Precision you also have to get it bedded 150-250$. AICS stock are bolt down ready you don't need bottom metal or bedding, just bolt down and go but there 800$ comes with 5 round detachable mag.

Thanks huntinaz, now once I bed the stock does that mean everytime I remove the rifle from the stock I have to get it bedded again? How can I tell if a stock has been bedded?

Do some research on the above mentioned stocks. Also check out Bell & Carlson and Choate Tactical stock on the lowere end.

Try to find some shooters near you so you can try out a few different styles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do some research on the above mentioned stocks. Also check out Bell & Carlson and Choate Tactical stock on the lowere end.

Try to find some shooters near you so you can try out a few different styles. </div></div>

+1

If you go to Angeles Shooting Range in Los Angeles there are a lot of guys with almost all of the above mentioned stocks. If you just asked them they would probably let you get behind there gun for a minute to see if it fits you or not.

Chuck

I'm partial to the accuracy international AICS stocks, but its in no small part due to being used to a full pistol grip rifle.
No real need to bed with that stock for most people either.

downside they are HEAVY and not cheap ($800) and not everyone likes them.

There are certainly other options for pistol grips as well.
in general I would look for a stock with an adjustable cheek piece.

Thanks a lot for the advice gentlemen. Im starting to do research based on all of your feedback. The pictures really helped ( huntinaz ). Good call on the range chucky, its just a couple of minutes from my place in L.A and I never even knew it was there. I was stationed in virginia for the past 2 and some years and I still have most of my hardware outhere.

What type of "Remington 700's" do you have? Heavy barrel or Sporters.
As mentioned the lower price range will be the Bell & Carlson.
Curt

Ace, what will you be using to stock for paper punching, long range steel, hunting ext ext. With this we can all give you some more tips, also ttt means "To the top" kinda like bump.

I have the short barreled 308 VTR that I got for REALLY cheap (it was my first bolt action), 700 P 308 and I was thinking about the xcr but would rather put some extra money down and get a better rig.
I had paper punching in mind. But if you would be so kind what would be the difference between paper punching and steel?

Side note Please check this out. www.supporttheSEALs.com

if i were u i would get the B&C i have one on my 308 and i like it. any thing is better then the factory stock. B&C has a fully adjustable stock for 4-500 range, i bought mine from midway