• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any advice reading switchy headwinds?

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I shot a match this weekend that probably had the toughest conditions I've ever shot in. 7 of the 10 stages we shot on day 1 we encountered a 6-10 mph headwind that would routinely switch between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock direction. I had 3-4 stages alone where I would watch mirage moving left to right, hold 0.5 Left only to burn the shot 0.5 left of my POA. Even the dust kicked up going right to left. I'd adjust the other way, and miss off the right because the wind died right off, then hold straight up, and miss off the left again cuz it switched directions. The entire time, the mirage was moving left to right. I'm not the only one that experienced this either.

Day 2 was much easier even with a heavier 3 o'clock wind.

Terrain was mostly open prairie with a few draws in between the shooting position and the target.

I'm just wondering what can be done in these situations to try to pick up wind down range and on the clock.

Time permitting trying to observe and plot out the timing of the switches is probably the best you can do. If there is enough time between conditions then shooting quickly in a consistent condition.
Sadly this isn't always possible and comes down to luck unless someone else has sage advice.
I shoot a monthly match that is at the base of a mountain, I've seen it flip back and forth between 4 and 8 O'clock in a second per switch. Brutal conditions for NRL22.