• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any Anschutz shooters out there?

remsps243

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
TX
Im in search of a Model 54 non-wing safety model. Preferably the older rifles, any input? whats the market value for such rifles?

thanks

Re: any Anschutz shooters out there?

I fairly recently got a 54.18 MSR off this site. It had everything that I was looking for in a 22lr. It shot very well at first then went downhill. It may be something as simple as this rifle requires cleaning. I have a bore scope & there many "flakes" of lead in the bore. I didn't wait inbetween different kinds of ammo because I was having so much fun with it. I was understand that one should never totally clean a 22lr. No bad things because I am still learning this rifle. At first it had a problem with empties not being ejected completely, thus causing one to have to pick the empty out of the chamber area. (what a pain) With more shooting it is getting better. Overall I am extremely happy with performance of this model.

shooting a 64 MPR. Got a 1903 action, two-stage trigger and real tight chamber. Won't even chamber any CCI - even Green Tag. Shoots well with Aguila and Win 333. Finally got a bipod stud for the front rail and plan to try in out tomorrow. Bought it as a trainer for my Rem 700 - is slightly heavier than the Rem.

Was running at $950 but is probably higher now. Check rimfire blog sites for other prices. Bought mine from Champion Shooters Supply.

From their catalog:

64 MP R Multi Purpose

The New 64 MP R is ideal for high power rifle training because it has repeater capabilities and a beavertail stock. This gun can be used for target shooting because it has the match 1903 barrel action and two-stage-trigger. The versatile stock allows for sporting, target, MS, benchrest, and hunting disciplines.

64 MP R Multi Purpose Target (with rail) .22 LR $POR
64 MP R Multi Purpose Target (with rail) S.S. .22LR $POR
1517 MP R Multi Purpose Target (with rail) .17 HMR $POR
1517 MP R Multi Purpose Target (with rail) S.S. .17HMR $POR

My two cents:

Gunfighter

I heard from a reliable source that the older 54 series in repeater form are in high demand due to rumors of Anschutz stopping production. I recently purchased a 54 series (1720 HD) heavy barrel .22 Mag and I love it. .22 Magnum would not be my first choice, but I got it for a steal and it's grown on me. The trigger is simply stellar and the bolt throw and action are as smooth as silk.

yea i heard that rumor aswell. Im looking for 1600 and 1800 series rifles.. or at least thats what i'd like to find. anyone know how much they are going for?

Neal is going out of business. Doesn't have much in inventory anymore. Still worth giving him a call. He might have something you might like.

I hate to see Neal leaving the business. He was a great man. One of the most knowledgeable guys in the business.

I just checked his website and it shows a nice 54.18 MS rifle for 1350. He is marking down all the used stuff 25%. That would make a real nice rifle to build on.

Yes I've got pictures but i'm not smart enough to post them. You know how it is with seniors.
larryj

shooting a 54.18 Annie this is a repeater and a great rifle.
Blonde stocked rifle the opther is a Finfore sako
IMG_1932_0138.jpg

54.18's are being discontinued.
I have a 1712 and just let a 64MSR go to a friend of mine.

Pre-wing 54 would definately be nice to find, I wouldn't expect to find one in good condition for less than $1K.