• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any AR10T owners here?

dannyh

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
Dunlap,TN
Any AR10T owners here? I am thinking on getting one and like to hear some input from you guys on them. Any of you comete in sniper matches and how do you do with them vs using bolt gun. I own a few bolt guns but really like to get a ar10t also. Advise on what I should get? I know they stopped making the 24" version which is what i would like to have pls a 300 rsaum upper also. How do you like the prs stock on the ar10T if you have one? Accuracy you getting and what ammo you using? Do the factory barrels heat up and string or loose accuracy quickly? Would you recommend to build one up or buy one? I would not mind getting a ar10t lower used and picking up a upper and save some version buying a new one. If you plan on getting rid of yours let me know. How is the factory barrel accuracy wise compare to some of the match custom barrels out there? Likes and dislikes of the ar10T?

Re: Any AR10T owners here?

I just ordered one and it should be here next week. I ordered a military over run AR10 TN. There's a some differences between this one and the regular T. I know a place that has them in stock in either 20 or 24 inch. Let me know if you are interested I will direct you to the place.

I dont know about putting one together since all the parts are pretty scarce. Also I have posted a thread about five days ago about the AR10 T's and had some good feedbacks, you might want to read over that thread.

If you are planning on building one you are not going to get your wish anytime soon until Armalite gets caught up on their rifle production. Then you will have to wait who knows how long until they get their parts inventory caught back up. It is a suck ass situation right now for anyone wanting to build one. GA Precision is not taking any new AR10 orders also, until the market gets caught up. I would assume that all the builders are pretty well in the same boat.

With the current situation it would probably be best to buy a complete rifle. If you can find an AR10T that is selling for the going rate (not overpriced like a lot of people are trying to cash in on) you should probably jump on it. Then you can practice and learn how to shoot it until everybody gets caught up on their AR builds. Then all you have to do is have a match barrel with a real good chambering job done put on it.

I had one AR10T with the 24" SS LW polygon barrel and another one with the 24" SS conventional rifling. The rifle with the conventional rifling was more accurate. My rifles shot on average between 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100 yards. Then I had GA Precision build me a complete rifle with a 20" Rock 5R barrel. I do not know if all GA Precision AR10 rifles shoot like mine. But there is no comparison between the AR10T's and my GAP rifle. Damn rifle shoots like a good bolt rifle whether you want to believe it or not.

The more I shoot it the better I get with it. The AR10's are a different animal and take a lot of practice to learn how they tick. There is a lot of mass cycling back and forth in comparison to an AR15. If you do not have the time, patience, and the money to shoot lots of rounds through them you will throw it aside and go back to shooting your bolt guns.

I have shot some long range tactical/sniper matches with mine. Half of the bolt rifle shooters are holding groupings tighter than me and I am shooting tighter than the other half. I know that my rifle has the potential to definitely shoot tighter. I am confident that my rifle and I can break inside the top 25% of the bolt rifle shooters.

A barrel as heavy as the 10T barrel is not going to string due to heat. I shoot handloads to get the most accuracy out of my rifle at long distances, but factory match ammo does quite well also. Nothing to dislike about AR's except that they are more work to keep clean compared to a bolt rifle. I would take my GAP AR10 over any other rifle if I could only keep one.

I love my AR-10T. I have the 24" SS conventional barrel. I can get < 1/2MOA groups at short ranges (< 200 yds). At longer ranges it opens up -- but I blame myself, not the rifle.
smile.gif

I second the other opinions so far about getting a whole rifle if you can. I spent the better part of the last few months assembling it... the hardest parts to get are the lower parts kits, specifically the bolt and mag catches. If you wanted to piece it together now, prepare to pay premium prices. I recently saw someone selling a bolt catch by itself for $75 (shipped! lol).

The Magpul PRS works great on my setup. The cheek piece vertical adjustment is super useful for sharing the rifle when friends come shoot with me. However, for some reason, I find the pull length is maxed out. I don't consider myself as having super long arms, so I dunno why that is -- maybe I just like to stretch out! If you get one, just make sure you get the PRS that is specifically made for the AR-10, so it doesn't interfere with the charging handle.

P.S. So far I've only shot Federal Gold Match through my AR-10T.

P.P.S. 338LM -- Interesting results from your Lothar Walther barrel... I would have expected the opposite. You think a Noveske/Pac-Nor type "polygonal" would behave similarly?

Someone correct me if I am wrong (its been a while). But if I remember right the Lothar Walthar barrels that were put on the AR10's was a true polygonal rifling.
Polygonal rifling has become a loose term today. There is barrel makers out there saying that they have polygonal rifling but it is not true polygonal rifling. What it is is conventional lands and grooves with a radius in the 90 degree corner, or the sidewalls of the land are sloped outward at some specific angle so as to eliminate the 90 degree corner. Or a combination of both an angled sidewall and radius at the bottom of the groove.
Pac-Nor is not true polygonal rifling. Its been a while since I have looked at my Pac-Nor polygonal barrel up close. But if I remember correctly it has an angled sidewall with a radius in the bottom of the groove.
My Pac-Nor barrel is just as accurate as my Rock barrel.
I believe that most premium barrels are as accurate as each other. It has more to do with the Smith machining the chamber, throat, and crown of the barrel.