• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Army or Navy Officer Recruiters out there?

kchu02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
College Station, TX
I have a few questions on becoming an officer in the Army or Navy, I just graduated with a degree in Economics. Please send me a PM

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Any Army or Navy Officer Recruiters out there?

I'm a Naval Aviator with a degree in History, if that helps you at all.

I guess my question is, is there any way to guarantee a MOS after getting commissioned? My impression and what I was told by the enlisted recruiter was that the army assigned you your MOS after graduating from OCS and you do not get to pick your MOS.

That is correct unless you are a doctor, dentist, nurse, or lawyer. If you only have an ugrad degree, then you'll just go to OCS, do your best, list your preferences, and a committee will assign your MOS branch. The toughest slots are usually infantry, MI, and aviation. I don't know what the chances are for getting what you want unless you are tops in your class. I think top 3% get their first choice, but I'm not positive if that's still the case.

For what it's worth, I went through this exact same dilemma after I graduated college. I decided I'd rather be guaranteed to do the job I wanted to do than have troops salute me. I enlisted infantry and never looked back. You've just got to decide whether you want to be an officer, or do the job you want to do. Only you know what path is right for you.

Yeah I was looking at MI and Aviation. Figured I could utilize my Chinese skills (Fluent in Mandarin)

But I was also looking at 42B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I was looking at MI and Aviation. Figured I could utilize my Chinese skills (Fluent in Mandarin)

But I was also looking at 42B </div></div>
If you are fluent in mandarin MI might snatch you up it saves a lot of time vs sending someone off to DLI. see if you can work that deal prior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I was looking at MI and Aviation. Figured I could utilize my Chinese skills (Fluent in Mandarin)

But I was also looking at 42B </div></div>
If you are fluent in mandarin MI might snatch you up it saves a lot of time vs sending someone off to DLI. see if you can work that deal prior. </div></div>

I know that sounds like the sensible thing, but there are no guarantees in the military unless it's written in black and white on your contract. I've known guys assume they'd get MI by having fluency in a foreign language. They got quite a shock when they were branched something else.

This is why you have to decide if you'd rather develop managerial skills as an officer, or learn MOS specific skills as an enlisted. And if you want to fly helos, join the warrant officer program. That's a guaranteed contract if you do your part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Daps! said:
[quote=kchu02
This is why you have to decide if you'd rather develop managerial skills as an officer, or learn MOS specific skills as an enlisted. And if you want to fly helos, join the warrant officer program. That's a guaranteed contract if you do your part. </div></div>

I was enlisted for 6 yrs, before I switched over. I knew I wanted to be an officer. I chose warrant over OCS just because it guaranteed I'd fly. Don't regret it at all. If you have questions about Army aviation PM me. Just remember there are positives and negatives to all these choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Daps! said:
[quote=kchu02
This is why you have to decide if you'd rather develop managerial skills as an officer, or learn MOS specific skills as an enlisted. And if you want to fly helos, join the warrant officer program. That's a guaranteed contract if you do your part. </div></div>

I was enlisted for 6 yrs, before I switched over. I knew I wanted to be an officer. I chose warrant over OCS just because it guaranteed I'd fly. Don't regret it at all. If you have questions about Army aviation PM me. Just remember there are positives and negatives to all these choices. </div></div>

I know two former infantry guys that went the warrant aviation route. They love it and will probably be 20 year men. If people want to fly helos, the Army warrant program is the best deal going.

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm aiming on MI, but still deciding on whether to join or not.

Kevin

If you go to a Navy Officer recruiter, you can tell him what jobs you want to do. For Aviation, you will need to take a written test. Based on that score, you will then be able to apply for a pilot/Nfo slot. If approved, you will go to OCS knowing that you will go to flight school. Completeing that program is up to you.
No one goes to OCS in the Navy without a job assignment. This is not like boot camp or any enlisted program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go to a Navy Officer recruiter, you can tell him what jobs you want to do. For Aviation, you will need to take a written test. Based on that score, you will then be able to apply for a pilot/Nfo slot. If approved, you will go to OCS knowing that you will go to flight school. Completeing that program is up to you.
No one goes to OCS in the Navy without a job assignment. This is not like boot camp or any enlisted program. </div></div>

So for the Navy I can go in and request jobs I want to do even if I'm going to do OCS?

1-800-USA-NAVY...and let the journey begin.

The hard part is finding the phone number to make it stop
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No one goes to OCS in the Navy without a job assignment. This is not like boot camp or any enlisted program. </div></div>

To set the record straight no one goes to RTC in the Navy without a job assignment either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif

</div></div>

I have my DD214 from the NAVY and I still get recruitment mailers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-800-USA-NAVY...and let the journey begin.

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No one goes to OCS in the Navy without a job assignment. This is not like boot camp or any enlisted program. </div></div>

To set the record straight no one goes to RTC in the Navy without a job assignment either.

</div></div>

He is looking at the army too, just making it simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go to a Navy Officer recruiter, you can tell him what jobs you want to do. For Aviation, you will need to take a written test. Based on that score, you will then be able to apply for a pilot/Nfo slot. If approved, you will go to OCS knowing that you will go to flight school. Completeing that program is up to you.
No one goes to OCS in the Navy without a job assignment. This is not like boot camp or any enlisted program. </div></div>

So for the Navy I can go in and request jobs I want to do even if I'm going to do OCS? </div></div>

Seek out a Navy recruiter, he will have all of the answers. However, yes, you will be assigned a job PRIOR to signing anything. You will NOT go to OCS without having a job training assignment. In the Navy, that may be broad, like Surface Warfare Officer. Which means you will be on a boat/ship doing whatever. Intell, Supply, Aviation, Construction (Seabees), Nuclear, you will know what and where your follow on school is prior to signing a contract, prior to going to OCS.
Now, if you don't meet eyesight requirements at OCS, then your pilot job may turn into SWO or unemployment. Failing out of a program may turn into SWO or unemployment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my question is, is there any way to guarantee a MOS after getting commissioned? My impression and what I was told by the enlisted recruiter was that the army assigned you your MOS after graduating from OCS and you do not get to pick your MOS. </div></div>

You list what your preference is and then the Army decides what you will be and if you get picked up for active duty.

Make sure that you have OCS listed in your contract!
Also, if you fail to make OCS/complete or graduate OCS you will go to the "needs of the Army".

Not trying to scare you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-800-USA-NAVY...and let the journey begin.

wink.gif

</div></div>

So I get to choose my job assignment before going to RTC, or is the Navy going to choose for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure that you have OCS listed in your contract!
Also, if you fail to make OCS/complete or graduate OCS you will go to the "needs of the Army".

Not trying to scare you.</div></div>

Yes, I know that and I don't plan on failing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-800-USA-NAVY...and let the journey begin.

wink.gif

</div></div>

So I get to choose my job assignment before going to RTC, or is the Navy going to choose for me.

</div></div>

You'll get to choose out of what they have open but I was enlisted (opps). At least that's how it was when I was DEP'd in. I actually waited a few months in order to get into IS which was full when I first went to enlist.

RTC is Recruit Training Command (Navy enlisted boot camp).

You choose your job before you join. You will already have your degree which makes things easy from a recruiter point of view. You will have everything sorted out with your contract before you swear in.

I worked both Enlisted as well as Officer special programs on my recruiting tour. Night and day difference in the process. Enlisted is a sales pitch unless the guy came in with the intent to join. Officer recruiting is more of an interview process for direct accessions (degree in hand applicants).

While they dont really sell you into signing up as an officer they will certainly try to fit you in where they have a need based on your background. When I was doing it we were turning away guys who were dead set on aviation as we filled our goal for the entire year within the first month of the FY. Economics and language skills dont be surprised if they try to get you to look at other comunities such as intel. As I said they wont try to sell you into joining as an Officer with this economy we can be pretty picky about who is selected so theres really no reason to do so.

Navy has their Officer and Enlisted recruiting completly separated so dont worry about flunking out of OCS and ending up enlisted or any such bullshit you may hear. Only time they will revert an officer to enlisted is under some pretty unique circumstances in which you owe the gov alot of money for your tuition. For the most part if you mess up that bad as an officer they will just kick you out of the service all together. 17 years I have honestly only seen it one time.

As maxpower220 already stated there is a test you will need to take to begin screening for Aviator. For that program the physical really comes into play and beleive it or not so does your physical build. They dont build an aircraft around you so you need to fit the aircraft.

Go in with an open mind you will not be guranteed a spot to fly fighters, you will need to make the cut for that on your own. I honestly dont recall if you will know ahead of time if you are going rotor or fixed wing. Lots of Aviators in the Navy and of those the bulk are not flying fighters. So do you want to fly or do you want to fly fighters. If the later will you be butt hurt if you end up not flying fighters?

One last thing to keep in mind, each district has a given amount of spots per year for a given designation (job). If they tell you that there are no openings you can go to another district which may be several states away. Dont get that confused with if they tell you that dont qualify that another district will say something different it dosnt work like that.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I left recruiting in 03 so not current on things but I have retired friends who work as civies at the NRD. I'm curently on staff duty and have access to just about any and all instructions.

R/
A06

Good advice A06. I did USMC enlisted recruiting for three years but I'm pretty mcuh clueless on officer accessions as they're TOTALLY different. "Call the OSO" is all I knew....

kchu02,

Thanks for starting this thread; I'm in a similar situation right now. If it's alright with you I would like to throw in a couple questions here and there without hijacking your thread.

Thanks to everyone who has provided info. You guys answered a bunch of questions my recruiters couldn't/wouldn't give me the answers to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-800-USA-NAVY...and let the journey begin.

wink.gif

</div></div>

</div></div>

I was enlisted for 10 years as an Aircrewman, I loved that job. However, being an officer is 100,000Xs better. If you have a degree, don't even think about enlisting unless there is a SPECIFIC job that you want to do and you are contracted for prior to going to RTC/Boot camp. The military is about upward mobility. Which means you must be moving up in rank or at some point, you will be asked to leave (there are a few exceptions). The Warrant Officer thing in the Army is different than the rest of the services. In my experience with the Army, I would not trade my commision and rank for that of an Army WO.

Regardless of which branch of service or career path you may choose, do not sign anything until EVERY question you have has been answered. Recruiters are salesmen of a sort, I don't think you will ever get lies, but I am sure that you will only hear the "good aspects" and the not so good aspects may be sugar coated.

A60 is still right on.

kchu02,

Have you considered the wider Intelligence community? For example: CIA, DIA, DOE, State, Treasury, DEA, FBI, NRO, or NSA. I would think that with the degree in economics and fluency in Mandarin that you would be an attractive candidate for a few of those organizations.

If you decide that WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) is the way to go, let me know. I can provide you with a ton of information on the application process. I am putting my packet together currently.

468shot, Same goes for you.

Here are a few WOFT related links:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/WO153A.shtml

http://www.kiowapilots.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 kiowapilots.com has a ton of good info.

Vertical reference-General Military Helicopter Discussions Some decent insight here as well.