• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Any Athlon Ares BTR owners out there?

Jarrodb1975

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Just wandering what you guys think of the Athlon Ares BTR. I am currently running a Nikon Black FX1000 but have a little disappointed in its performance with tracking. I know these 2 scopes are in the same class. I was just wandering if trading to Athlon would be a better scope. Got a Argos BTR and it tracks perfect. Appreciate any info

Recently got one. Zeroed at 100 and walked it out to 700. Backed it back to 100 and she was on. Had planned to do a tracking/box test, ran out of time unfortunately.
So far pleased with it.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
While I do like the Athlon, that Nikon should track correctly. I'd send it back before I decided to buy another scope. Nikon should take care of you.

But if you go to something else, I've heard the Ares BTR is nice and at Doug's prices, you won't be sorry.

I did send it back. They have had it for a month. I shoot PRS and really need a optic to function. That type of warranty service to me is unacceptable.

• Wow
Reactions: patriot07
You might consider the Midas TAC v2. They are within $100 of the current sale price for the Ares BTR. Same glass. The TAC have the newer reticle (APLR4) with much less clutter and upgraded turrets with crisp clicks and a stainless steel erector assembly. Choose the BTR if you dial for wind or prefer illumination.

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
I migrated a couple of the scopes my son and I use for NRL22 from Nikon to Athlon for similar reasons and they have worked very well for that purpose. Recently picked up a third for a new T1x.

They are great for the price, not a 10/10 scope but....not even near $1000. I've got em at a very nice price with a level/lever installed if interested!

Tyler

I thought the Midas Tac was a model below the Ares. Am I missing something here? Does it have different internals?

That’s what I thought but I saw somewhere that it had an updated erector system and turrets. Maybe I am imagining it though.

What do the new Ares BTR turrets look like? How are the caps retained - Coin slot or hex screw on top? Or the 4 tiny hex screws through the side of the cap?

The Ares BTR I received a few weeks ago had the hex screws through the cap. I don't know if it's the most recent version or NOS though.

I have an Ares BTR, and here are some thoughts:

For the money its a great scope. glass quality is decent, mines tracks really well, I shoot out to 800 at my range and I can dial between ranges quickly and easily with confidence. After a morning of shooting I did a zero check at 100 yds and I maintained my original point of impact no problem.

Comparing to the FX Id say the glass in the fx is a touch nicer (at least to my eye) Had them side by side, long with a couple sightrons and a night force shv.

Id rank the glass as follows:

1)Nikon FX, it was just clearer and the resolution was much better, better turret though
2) Athlon Ares BTR, not as clear or as much resolution as the Nikon but very close. I prefer this reticle over nikons offerings so I'm happy with my decision. Turret feel lacks as well compared to the Nikon
3)Sightron SIII great scope, parallax adjustment wasn't as forgiving as the nikon or Athlon. and the glass is just a touch behind both
4)Nightforce SHV, I just wasn't impressed with this scope at all, the turret was the best IMO but the clarity was just meh, in Canada this carries a $600 premium over the Athlon and it was at best on par with the rest at full magnification.

At 15x in all scopes they were all very close, my comparison above is at full magnification

One thing I don't like about the Ares BTR is its only x50 and not x56 but I don't shoot a lot of low light with that particular gun so it was a must point for me.

Reactions: Radioactiv
So the Ares BTR that went on sale last month was the old version with the old turrets?? I sure hope thats not the case.

Hmmm have 3 Ares BTR (love them btw. Buy it). One is more than a year old, and 2 recently purchased during the sale. Turret all look the same. Now I have to go check if I got the old or updated turret

I have TWO of the Argos BTR 8-34x56 mils, had been hankering for the Ares BTR 4.5-27 Gen 2, but unfortunately got tied up at work and apparently missed the sale pricing which I was told ended two days ago. Doh!!! Very disappointed.

I'm happy with mine. I added some Team Green o-ring grease and it made a noticeable improvement to the turret feel. Keep in mind that I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't love the turret feel of the TAC, but I'm happy with the Ares turrets now.

I would go Midas tac as an Ares BTR owner.

The glass gets a little dark at full mag (27) and is perfect at 24 so I’d hazard a guess that the TAC will be just fine at full mag.

Reactions: steve123
Despite the differences in the knobs and illumination. The key difference to me between these are the reticles. Athlon has 3 basic christmas-tree reticle designs with variations. In mil these are:

The APRL, which the Ares BTR and Talos BTR use, is a classic tree design with a floating cross. There are primary tick marks on elevation and windage evert 2 mil. These are further limited by 4 sub-tensions in one direction and 4 the other to delineate and reduce the granularity to .2 mil. The tree is made of dots at the mils and smaller dots at the .2 mil. Each branch of the tree is labeled.

The APMR, on the Helos, uses the full tick marks for every Mil and half ticks for every .5 mil. There is a traditional crosshair in the center with no floating indicator. The tree is similar with fewer elevation labels.

The APRS, on the TAC and ETR, uses the Full tick for every mil and half tick for every .5 scheme for the elevation and a full tick and small tick for every .2 across windage. The center has a floating dot. (The original Cronus APRS had a floating cross but is now offered with a floating dot as APRS1)

I have used all of these reticles except the Cronus and the APRS reticles are much less busy and easier to focus past than the Ares APRL. Also, reading the elevation can be difficult with the sub-tensions' direction being meaningful. I prefer the floating dot but your mileage may vary.

With the same glass, focal plane, tube size and erector quality, I would make sure that I consider which reticle I want to be staring through. Your preference may well be the APRL (my son prefers that and uses one on his CZ for NRL22). But, I would make sure you get a scope where the reticle fits your preference and not because the turret is more or less clicker.

Good luck.

I find myself rarely going above 20x in PRS. I think its going to be a toss up between all of the optics we have talked about. Probably will indeed come down to reticle preference. Has anybody had to use Athlon warranty service? I know my Nikon experience has been terrible.

Does anyone else think the ARES BTR Turrets are almost too easy to turn? My windage worries me the most. Wondering if there would be a simple fix to take care of that. Maybe a thicker O ring?

I love mine. For a sub $ 1k scope you can’t go wrong. Improvement over this scope is going to come with a premium
price tag.

I have an Ares btr and a midas tac. Both are MRAD, and both have seen 5+ PRS matches. I use the midas tac over my gen 1 ares btr. floating dot reticle, better turret feel, and capped windage was the deciders. If i had to pay the same for both, id still go for the TAC. im actually selling my ares btr to get a cronus.

I find myself rarely going above 20x in PRS. I think its going to be a toss up between all of the optics we have talked about. Probably will indeed come down to reticle preference. Has anybody had to use Athlon warranty service? I know my Nikon experience has been terrible.

I have used athlons warranty services unfortunately however it was as smooth as a brand new scope exchange can be and I had a new scope in hand within 5 days of them receiving my scope iirc this was a one time expierence so take it for what it’s worth

Reactions: Redshako
Does anyone else think the ARES BTR Turrets are almost too easy to turn? My windage worries me the most. Wondering if there would be a simple fix to take care of that. Maybe a thicker O ring?

Little bit. What I did was wipe off the grease and it got a little better

Not sure if the "AS NEW, open box" Ares I picked up from Doug at Cameraland will have the new style turrets, but $599 for a relatively light scope with HD glass and great warranty is just too hard to pass up. I have owned, and still own top-tier scopes so I'm not expecting too much out of the Ares. I'll be happy if it tracks well and I can see animals through it!

I've got a few of the Ares BTRs on my own rifles, and like them. Fairly easy to see the difference in optical quality between the Ares BTR & Cronus scopes, but that's not a bad thing, just what you'd expect for the price difference. Mine have all tracked really well, and I actually prefer the reticle with its heavier + aiming point to those of the Ares ETR, Midas TAC, and Cronus BTR & APRS1 reticles - they're all just too fine for my 67yr old eyes when shooting movers. I've got an ETR & several Midas TACs mounted on rifles, and like them, but don't believe I'll be selling off the Ares BTRs I've got.

I have an Ares BTR, and here are some thoughts:

For the money its a great scope. glass quality is decent, mines tracks really well, I shoot out to 800 at my range and I can dial between ranges quickly and easily with confidence. After a morning of shooting I did a zero check at 100 yds and I maintained my original point of impact no problem.

Comparing to the FX Id say the glass in the fx is a touch nicer (at least to my eye) Had them side by side, long with a couple sightrons and a night force shv.

Id rank the glass as follows:

1)Nikon FX, it was just clearer and the resolution was much better, better turret though
2) Athlon Ares BTR, not as clear or as much resolution as the Nikon but very close. I prefer this reticle over nikons offerings so I'm happy with my decision. Turret feel lacks as well compared to the Nikon
3)Sightron SIII great scope, parallax adjustment wasn't as forgiving as the nikon or Athlon. and the glass is just a touch behind both
4)Nightforce SHV, I just wasn't impressed with this scope at all, the turret was the best IMO but the clarity was just meh, in Canada this carries a $600 premium over the Athlon and it was at best on par with the rest at full magnification.

At 15x in all scopes they were all very close, my comparison above is at full magnification

One thing I don't like about the Ares BTR is its only x50 and not x56 but I don't shoot a lot of low light with that particular gun so it was a must point for me.
Wow you must have got a dud with your sightron s111. My ares btr or my gen 2 razor for that matter isn't in the same league as my s111. It's glass is miles better just everything else is lacking

Wow you must have got a dud with your sightron s111. My ares btr or my gen 2 razor for that matter isn't in the same league as my s111. It's glass is miles better just everything else is lacking
Not Mine, Its a buddy's and he has another SIII that trumps all these scopes but its only 3-18 or something like that. This was a longer magnification one and at 800 m I wasn't very impressed

I started out with an Argos BTR and a Diamondback ffp 6-26 I sold the DB and mounted the Argos on a Ruger precision 22 that have shot 3 22 lapua matches with at PNTC in WV. For the money I Love that scope! I recently decided i was going to shoot NRL style matches with a production gun. I bought both a savage 110 tactical and the remington 700 pcr in 6.5cr. On the PCR I mounted a used but good Cronus BTR in a larue SPR-S I took off my 3gun ARMark 6 1-6. On the 110 I got this deal on amazon for the Ares and mounted it in a Larue CAN mount. I imdiately removed the O-Rings from both Ares and Cronus elevation caps, they were awefuk before now I'm ok with them. Funny thing is the Argos has more tactile clicks. I count out in my head so I'll dial a 4 and count 3 so I really need to be able to feel the elevation turret under timer stress. The PCR is shooting 1 raged hole at 100 with Hornandy match. I havent 0rd the Savage yet. I'm becoming pretty brand loyal to Athelon but from what I read here maybe I should have got the Ares ETR instead of the used Cronus BTR. I'm taking an intermediate class in 2 weeks so time will tell.

Reactions: hellzna
I have an Ares BTR and a Midas Tac and I prefer the Midas. The glass seems better and the reticle is awesome on the Midas. At $549 right now though, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Ares BTR.

I started out with an Argos BTR and a Diamondback ffp 6-26 I sold the DB and mounted the Argos on a Ruger precision 22 that have shot 3 22 lapua matches with at PNTC in WV. For the money I Love that scope! I recently decided i was going to shoot NRL style matches with a production gun. I bought both a savage 110 tactical and the remington 700 pcr in 6.5cr. On the PCR I mounted a used but good Cronus BTR in a larue SPR-S I took off my 3gun ARMark 6 1-6. On the 110 I got this deal on amazon for the Ares and mounted it in a Larue CAN mount. I imdiately removed the O-Rings from both Ares and Cronus elevation caps, they were awefuk before now I'm ok with them. Funny thing is the Argos has more tactile clicks. I count out in my head so I'll dial a 4 and count 3 so I really need to be able to feel the elevation turret under timer stress. The PCR is shooting 1 raged hole at 100 with Hornandy match. I havent 0rd the Savage yet. I'm becoming pretty brand loyal to Athelon but from what I read here maybe I should have got the Ares ETR instead of the used Cronus BTR. I'm taking an intermediate class in 2 weeks so time will tell.

I used a Cronus btr and Ares ETR at the same time for over a year I sold the Cronus and kept the etr but honestly it could have gone either way the Cronus is a nicer built scope and each of them has advantages but it’s so close if I had to get another right now at new prices it would be a coin toss turrets are higher quality on Cronus but less distinct glass is almost a wash almost what made me keep the etr was the parallax requires less adjustment and My Cronus had the older reticle now that the cronus has the same reticle I might get another one It really is so close I wouldn’t sweat it

Also I am definetly looking for more Midas TAC vs Ares BTR expierences for my 22 tough decision at current prices

I used a Cronus btr and Ares ETR at the same time for over a year I sold the Cronus and kept the etr but honestly it could have gone either way the Cronus is a nicer built scope and each of them has advantages but it’s so close if I had to get another right now at new prices it would be a coin toss turrets are higher quality on Cronus but less distinct glass is almost a wash almost what made me keep the etr was the parallax requires less adjustment and My Cronus had the older reticle now that the cronus has the same reticle I might get another one It really is so close I wouldn’t sweat it

Also I am definetly looking for more Midas TAC vs Ares BTR expierences for my 22 tough decision at current prices
Thank you for the feedback from your experience with the scopes.My Cronus is the APSR so I still have the center t instead of the floating dot . I paid the same price for the Cronus as the going rate on the ETRs.

I haven't played with a MIDAS TAC but it looks like people here are leaning towards them over the ARES BTR, even with the price drop. From my RPR I've become very fond of the big loud and sloppy knobs on the Argos and I can't see a reason to dislodge it, even with the new glass on quick QD mounts I don't think I'll bother running anything but the ARGOS in the Lapua 22 matches. PS my gun really likes the WOLF match 22 lr made by Eley.

I've got all the Ares you can handle, I'm sold out of my billet levels from this sale....but scopes will ship with a carbon fiber lever/level installed, and a voucher for a billet level when the next batch is done.

Reactions: Krazy Korean
Picked up one of the open box specials just before they went on sale for $50 less (of course). Was told it compared to my Burris XTR II's. (Doesn't) Was told I was going to be upgraded to a "NEW Unpened box" scope. (wasn't). First thing a buddy and I thought when we opened it up to look at it at the range was the eyebox. Pretty tight! Absolutely no one had thought that in any comments about the scope anywhere. So I thought maybe I had a bad one?. Sent it back to Athlon to be checked out. Great customer service. They got the scope in Tuesday, I've already got it back today (Thursday)! Unfortunately they called and said no problems. Yeah, it does have a tight eyebox. "Just turn the power down to about 24 and it gets better"!! Whatever! Just picked up a RPR Magnum 338 and I think I'll try it on that one!! I'll probably keep it anyway. I can put it on something. Kind of disappointing but it's not bad for the money.

Becoming a bit of an Athlon believer these days, RPrim-Argos BTR,Savage 110 Tac in MDT Oryx -Ares BTR, Rem PCR-Cronus BTR. The Savage and the PCR or new setups, I'll have to upload some range reports in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully the Ares works well.
25E5B958-E8D5-4F7C-9184-D149E4A5962E.jpeg

Attachments

• 6010EA6B-3442-44E3-A6CD-EAADC2254D13.jpeg
    6010EA6B-3442-44E3-A6CD-EAADC2254D13.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 23
Yeah
FAD1FE74-1654-4CD7-923D-1D3F5D7E9D6D.jpeg
27AFE779-9535-4CA5-A17E-6D6FA2A48E06.jpeg
417AC553-80F8-4281-A76E-A7E39F9941DE.jpeg
C80F37F5-A787-4A09-A244-20A97DE1415A.jpeg
DCB77049-B904-4D81-8C94-E741D22CF1C1.jpeg
BF3E1771-283D-48D3-BE47-51267646A1E4.jpeg
DF26EF2E-4DFF-4BD2-A30E-2D9B12C32AC4.jpeg
4445A5F7-00DE-4250-BAF5-C235EDD0C7D9.jpeg
F128438E-3F5A-4286-9514-DE6514C46CD8.jpeg
C80F37F5-A787-4A09-A244-20A97DE1415A.jpeg
Oh and National Match build AR, with Argos 1-4. The rise 20" barrel and rifle length gas system are updates since last years 18" midlegth gun. I've tried Nikon and Weaver 1-4x's on this gun havent shot a match with the Argos yet but I have practiced seated and off Hand at 50 and 100, getting good results so far. I need to put it in a rest and see how it shoots static.

Attachments

• 9F659E61-391C-45E6-B829-FEB7734F0DBD.jpeg
    9F659E61-391C-45E6-B829-FEB7734F0DBD.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: