• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any benefit to bedding an HS Precision stock?

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I believe my Sendero came with an HS Precision stock and it runs fine without any modification. However I have an HS Precision Varmint stock on order for a Savage build and was curious what the thoughts are on bedding stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. It would seem you should still gain some stability in the alignment of the action to the stock though the aluminum contact is clearly more solid than a normal stock.

Is the aluminum block in an HS considered sufficient or do people further bed/modify these stocks? Due to the planned use of the gun I am sure the action will be in and out of the stock fairly often relative to my other guns.

Re: Any benefit to bedding an HS Precision stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is the aluminum block in an HS considered sufficient </div></div>

Yes, unless the action sits in there crooked. and the barrel rubs one side of the forend.

Skim bedding is always a good thing on aluminum bedding bocks such as the HS and B&C because they are not cut 100% to the shape of your action.

So in short, bed the damn thing, or have somone els do it.

Thanks, I was afraid I'd have to do it...

Absolutely. The recoil lug often does not match precisely with the bedding lug and will result in what we used to call "lug bounce" for the first couple of shots after having the action out of the stock. Tape off the front/sides of the lug and place .020" shim stock under the reciever ring and rear tang and skim bed in place. Have never failed to see an improvement in in accuracy. Also, bed the front/back of the bottom steel as well.