• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any Berger .338 hybrid updates?

jimdvt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Vermont, USA
Shortly after these came out last year it was determined that there could be a nose slump issue, depending on load, when used in the .338 Lapua. Bryan's update said the design needed to be "toughened up" and they are considering the best way to do it. That was almost a year ago, has anything happened? Have they made the improvement or are they not going to bother?

Re: Any Berger .338 hybrid updates?

The new ones are shipping out and from what I was told from the Berger rep at my store the new ones have been tested to well over 3100 fps with zero nose slump , I will be trying out them out on pigs soon ,mine are on the way .Dustin

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order them from? What load are you going to start with? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sinclair should have the new ones or they will be coming soon mine are coming from my rep , I had no trouble with the original since im shooting a standard lapua at 2780 fps , ive had best luck out of Mcwhorter with Viht n165 but there are a lot of good 338 lapua powders H1000, r25, retumbo ...Dustin

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear they've solved the issue. Though I don't know if I would have had a problem. I've pushed the 300 SMK to 2800 with Retumbo but I need to back off a touch.

One production run of Generation II 338 Cal 300gr Hybrids has been shipped and sold out by Berger. The next run is shipping supposedly the first part of June. For real info contact Teresa Collins at Berger Customer Service [email protected] She will have the real skinny!

I have loaded the old ones and now am working on the new ones... I am not impressed with the quality of the old lots but Bryan assures me they shouldnt be a problem.

They in my testing did Verry well at the 600y mark. But with out question from what i have seen with the new ones they are WAY better production..

Pics of the first lots.. more to come..

1306820412.jpg

1306820251.jpg

1306820248.jpg

1306820246.jpg

1306820243.jpg

1306820255.jpg

1306820251.jpg

1306820403.jpg

these are the pics from the test firings..

1306821411.jpg

1306821395.jpg

THE LAST PIC IS LOADED 84.5 not 48.5

Nice annealing, what's your system? It's ok if I hijack my own thread, right?

I got a bunch of the first batch and never had a problem and they shoot absolutely phenomenal. I think the problems were not with 338LM's , but rather the Allen mags and the 408-338's that were pushing them well over 3100.

Just a note to all Berger has done some repackaging of the the 338 300gr bullet.

Berger has changed the Stock # and description of the bullet (Generation II)
The move from Target SEction to the Tactical Section.
from 33401 338 Cal 300gr Match Target BT Hybrid (50)
to Stock
#33110 338 Cal 300gr Match Tactical Hybrid OTM

More will be shipping the end of the month.

As a side note the 30 cal 155gr Hybrids are shipping, and the the 30 168 and 30 Cal 230gr Hybrids to come later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plinker625</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a side note the 30 cal 155gr Hybrids are shipping, and the the 30 168 and 30 Cal 230gr Hybrids to come later. </div></div>

Have they leaked the BC on these pills yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim-VT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice annealing, what's your system? It's ok if I hijack my own thread, right? </div></div>

I could be wrong, but I believe that is the OEM Lapua annealing. If not - I would also like to know more about how he has done such a nice consistent job.

That was my initial thought, but if you look at the case head it would suggest they've been fired.

These are all fired cases. Lapua did the aneiling I only wish I had a michine that would do it this well. I do all of mine the old way.

I didn't have a problem with the first run, using 338 LM at 2900 fps shot them from 100 to 1150 yards with no issues, and nice tight groups.

New Berger hybrid tactical 300 grains are shipping now!